• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Wyndham Bonnet Creek--someone here sure messed up

rickandcindy23

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Founder; Disney OKW & SSR; Marriott's Willow Ridge and Shadow Ridge,Grand Chateau; Val Chatelle; Hono Koa OF (3); SBR(LOTS), SDO a few; Grand Palms(selling); WKORV-OF ,Westin Desert Willow.
Just bending your ear a bit.

We arrived late last night, really early AM today, after Southwest lost our grandson's carseat. This caused a long delay at the airport for paperwork, of course, because ours wasn't the only thing that didn't make it from Denver. Then the first loaner carseat from Southwest (good they had some) didn't work in the rental car. No big deal. Southwest provided another immediately and made sure it would have the necessary parts. It was a delay, but it was a good experience. The woman actually sat on the floor of the office to help our daughter figure out the loaner seat.

Southwest did all they could to satisfy us. I was very pleased with the service they provided, even though it was a good 90 minute delay. We didn't leave the airport until around 10:45, and our flight arrived at about 9 PM. Our tired grandson was in good spirits the entire time. He is a trooper.

We went to the grocery store, stopped for fast food and headed to Bonnet Creek to check into both units. It was around 12:30 AM by then, and our grandson was asleep in the car in the loaner carseat with a full tummy.

The "check-in" with Bonnet Creek's Alissa (sp?) and Erin at Bonnet Creek was a nightmare. They said we had one unit for the week, not two. This is two RCI exchanges, made the same day, identical unit sizes. I had two relation numbers on my email confirmations, which I didn't print out because I NEVER NEED THEM. These two women kept saying it was the same reservation and we had only one unit. FRUSTRATION. No manager came out to help. :rolleyes: The two women basically said we were wrong about having 2 reservations. It was like talking to a brick wall.

We all spent the first night in one unit, because we had the sleeping toddler, and they put our daughter in building 3, us in building 6. Someone needed to get the little guy to bed and make sure he was safe, while the other two unpacked the cars. It was faster to just go to our unit and unpack groceries and go straight to bed.

Our son-in-law and granddaughter joined us this afternoon, separate flights due to our granddaughter's ballet rehearsal. They missed all of the excitement.

The two women who were supposed to make us feel welcome and check us in never apologized, never made us feel we were right, or that their computer could possibly be wrong. The relation numbers on the RCI confirmations meant nothing to them. How is it that Wyndham employees have no idea what a relation number is?

Ironically, we had an email from a manager, who promised us units together, both with fireworks views. We had a guest a few months ago who was hassled endlessly by the sales department, and this manager wanted to make our stay special. It was the worst experience we have ever had with a timeshare check-in process in 31 years, no exaggeration. 90 minutes of hassle. How could these two women still insist that we had only one unit?

This email from the manager was the only reason they begrudgingly gave us two units for the night, and they really didn't believe anything we said. Still no apologies. NONE.

As much as I know about timeshare and exchanging, I still learn new things. After attempting to prove to these stupid women that I had two reservations and being unable to convince them, even with email proof, which we forwarded to Erin's email address to print herself, they still doubted us. The RCI site was down for the usual maintenance period, so I couldn't log into RCI to show them two separate reservations.

What did I not do and not know? I didn't know RCI had staff available for emergencies. 31 years of exchanges, many per year, and I didn't know that until after 9:00 AM today, when I tried to call to tell RCI about our nightmare. You know why I didn't know RCI is available for emergencies during late nights and Sundays? Because I never have had an issue in dozens of exchanges. RCI is awesome. I could have called them in the middle of the night? RCI's Mazda (his name) was incredibly nice to my husband this AM, called the resort, then called us back and said the manager was aware of the error and was very sorry. We should call this manager directly. RCI stepped up and did everything right.

I love RCI for being there. I am still disgusted with Wyndham. We are Wyndham Platinum owners, and the staff in the night made us feel unwanted. Customer service at its worst.

Out of paranoia, Rick called Vistana Fountains to make sure our second week was all set. They assured him we have two units, near one another, far from the highway. Starwood in Orlando is always superb with customer service.

I am so upset with Wyndham, I have been bursting into tears all day. Yep.:bawl:

What did Wyndham do for us? They moved our stuff into the two units we were supposed to have in the first place, including the refrigerated stuff because we had things to do today. They gave us two gift baskets, with items we wouldn't buy ourselves because that is how gift baskets always are. They each have a bottle of sparkling water (we need alcohol!), and a few bags of candy, a box of pita chips and a bag of sunflower kernels. What do I have to say about that? Big deal. Seriously? I could buy those items for $10, but I wouldn't buy any of them for myself.

The manager also gave us a key to the presidential reserve lounge to watch the fireworks. I don't know if we would even use it.

A nice gift certificate for the spa for a few massages would be the ideal gift after such HORRIBLE customer service. Or a gift certificate for the restaurant, for crying out loud.

Other people would gripe like crazy at RCI until RCI gave them their exchange power and fee back. It's not RCI's fault, so no way do I expect that.

Wyndham is completely at fault, not RCI. Wyndham did what they could apparently, so I expect nothing else of them at this point, but it is NOT ENOUGH.

I am tired tonight.

Beefnot

TUG Member
Reaction score
I am very sorry to hear what you went through. I would be seething mad, and I don't know how I could keep from opening up a shook up can of whoop-a$$ on those pathetic excuses for front desk agents.

Do you know what, if any, disciplinary action or training that management plans to direct at Alissa and Erin? Was this a Wyndham system issue or incomptence issue or a little of both?

I never print out my confirmations either, but I do have them at the ready on my smartphone if necessary.

rapmarks

TUG Member
Reaction score
that presidential lounge was open every night for the fireworks, so that key is no big deal. maybe you should post the special number for RCI proble;ms so we can all carry it with us.

Reaction score
I think it is more an issue with PEOPLE and not WYNDHAM. At both WBC and Wyndham Ocean Walk, every time we had a slight issue or question, the people fixed it. Obviously, the sleaze - I mean sales - office is a whole different matter.

I agree, everyone who uses RCI should have their customer service number on-hand when checking in. No one knows if/when a resort will give them a headache.

RA

ronparise

TUG Member
Reaction score
Just bending your ear a bit.

I love RCI for being there. I am still disgusted with Wyndham.

"I love RCI for being there. I am still disgusted with Wyndham"

You should know that Wyndham timeshares (Wyndham Vacation Ownership) and RCI (Wyndham Exchange and Rentals) are two divisions same company...

Too late now, but something Ive learned in my 2 years of timeshares and 66 years of living is that S$#T happens and to call ahead (like you did with BlueGreen) to make sure all is in order before leaving home...and Ill bet you print your reservations from now on. Something else Ive learned is that late check-ins are asking for trouble, so I call ahead twice.

It took 90 minutes, but you did get two rooms for the first night (which as you say, you didnt need or even use) and they did move you the next day and you did get an apology

Dont get me wrong, Id be upset too but I would accept the apology and enjoy the rest of my two weeks in Orlando. What I dont understand is why the airline and RCI get a pass, but Wyndham doesnt....it sounds like they all contributed to your bad experience...and now I will too because I dont understand why you are so upset and because i think your anger is directed at the wrong people.

It sounds like your biggest grip is with the front desk clerks...because they couldnt believe their computer could be wrong, and then they didnt apologize. For the record, Ive been to Bonnet Creek a number of times (not with an RCI exchange) and havent ever had a problem like yours. heck, even the gard at the gate has my name. Perhaps they couldnt believe it because the computer has always been right. (The computer probably was right, my bet is someone on the input end (at RCI?) did something wrong.)

No doubt, the night clerks could have made this easier for you, but they didnt cause the problem. Also consider, that for folks with night jobs, the night job is almost always a second job. because at the wages we pay, one is not enough. You get what you give and I think a little understanding on your side would have gotten an apology from them

tschwa2

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
A few in S and VA, a single resort in NC, MD, PA, and UT, plus Jamaica and the Bahamas
Sorry you had such a cr**py check in experience. I have definitely become a person who re-confirms every stay 1-2 weeks before hand. If I get any kind of a weird vibe like the agent had difficulty finding my reservation I will also call before leaving home the day of or the day before check in with an estimated ETA. Any time I plan on arriving after 8pm I make sure they note my late check in time for my reservation. This is also true if you have any special request in my reservation. You are told that you don't have to reconfirm reservations these days but airlines, hotels, car rental and timeshares all make mistakes. If I can't log onto the company's direct website and see my reservation and special request; as much as I hate to waste the time, I will call (or get my DH to call).

Hope the rest of your trip is smooth sailing.

Beefnot

TUG Member
Reaction score
Ron, calling ahead is important, yes. And perhaps Cindy should assign more blame to the other entities which contributed to the fiasco. However, there is absolutely no excusing pss poor service, even if it is someone's second job.

NHTraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score
One of the biggest issues was that you didn't have a printed confirmation. It is in the travelers best interest to have it with them. It could have saved you a lot of headache. So...in a way, you triggered some of what you went through youself. Always bring a printed confirmation even though you may never need it. Nothing is 100% and sometimes mistakes happen.

Southwest (my favorite airline) delayed you about 90 minutes. That was their fault.

RCI may not have had the correct info in their computer.

Wyndham had two individuals who may not have put the correct info into their computer when looking up and only found one. A printed copy of the confirmation would have helped.

Knowing you were behind, you went to the grocery store and fast food. Could the groceries have been done the next day? You were already way behind your schedule.

Just my observation. I s*cks when trips start off right. Hopefully, you will be able to enjoy the rest of it.

Also, you got a couple gift baskets. You may not have bought the stuff, but they at least tried and they corrected the issue the next day.

MommaBear

TUG Member
Reaction score
I am sorry that you had such a bad check in experience on top of a long and trying day. It is very hard to start out a vacation that way!

My daughter is a manager at a boutique hotel and the stories I hear... It is very hard for her to keep staff because they can only pay about $10 an hour, so the turnover rate is high and the people who want to do those jobs have limited education and experience. There are guests with legitimate complaints such as yours, but there are also those guests who demand a crib at 10 pm but never reserved one, so someone has to run the 30 miles round trip to the only open store to buy a crib, those who have recieved verbal and email confirmation about their rates only to swear at the front desk staff about those same rates, the complaints about only king beds, only double beds, no suites left available when what they reserved is available. The night shift is also the least desirable so sometimes the only staff available to work are the newbies, the desperate or the poor performers.

The best thing to do is to request a manager as the front desk staff really has only the information in front of them and generally cannot make other decisions because only the manager has that power.

Beefnot, as tempting as it is to unleash your venom on that staff, they have little power and little incentive to change how things happen. The best person to talk to it the manager who does have that power. All that happens when the front desk staff gets verbally abused is that they quit, then they have to be replaced, the training has to be rushed, the customer service experience and knowledge is limited and then the cycle repeats itself.

Beefnot

TUG Member
Reaction score
Beefnot, as tempting as it is to unleash your venom on that staff, they have little power and little incentive to change how things happen. The best person to talk to it the manager who does have that power. All that happens when the front desk staff gets verbally abused is that they quit, then they have to be replaced, the training has to be rushed, the customer service experience and knowledge is limited and then the cycle repeats itself.

I was being tongue in cheek. I do not berate service staff, but instead alwaysalwaysalways ask for a manager if I realize I am dealing with incompetence or inability to resolve my issues.

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
To avoid what Cindy went through, I would never show up anywhere without an original copy of the confirmation(s) and verifying the reservation(s) both early, and right before departure. Even with reservations made through Wyndham, they sometimes don't show up at Bonnet Creek for weeks - not sure what the problem is.

rickandcindy23

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Founder; Disney OKW & SSR; Marriott's Willow Ridge and Shadow Ridge,Grand Chateau; Val Chatelle; Hono Koa OF (3); SBR(LOTS), SDO a few; Grand Palms(selling); WKORV-OF ,Westin Desert Willow.
Ron, be careful of making excuses for Wyndham. This is pure stupidity. I would have continued my post last night, if not for being exhausted. So here is a little more...

How did this mess up happen and does it really matter? Yes, it does, but it's a long story.

The original email from the first manager, Kathleen, was clear we would have two separate units, fireworks views. Well, she did originally have that arranged. The inventory manager had to move people around for construction near building 1, which we were originally assigned. This inventory manager saw two units in our name and didn't check to see if we actually had TWO UNITS, and he cancelled one. You know why. I don't have to tell you.

Even though it was an RCI exchange, I think they went back to their rules of no two units in the same name without a guest certificate. That is my assumption. They cancelled the other one.

Why didn't the manager come out of the hole he/ she was in at that late hour. Alissa kept going back there to "talk to the manager." We are not in the habit of printing all confirmations because it's a waste of paper. But I will now. Not that it would have mattered to these nitwits.

Ron, we didn't call because we had an email from a manager, acknowledging our two units would have fireworks views and would be together.

Even seeing the written confirmations, when we forwarded them to these two buffoons' personal email accounts, they couldn't see the difference between the two confirmations. We pointed out that there were two different relation numbers. Apparently it was something they never saw before.

I wish I had known about the RCI regular number having an option for emergencies!!!! :crash:

RCI couldn't have done better. Nothing at all for RCI to take the blame for, Ron. We had to separate relation #'s, but the staff would not believe us. It was ludicrous.

Stupid me for not realizing I could have called RCI anytime. Again, 31 years with no issues upon check-in. Southwest, everyone makes mistakes, and it's how you acknowledge it.

Wyndham did misplace the car seat, which Southwest delivered early in the morning yesterday. We didn't get it from Wyndham until we had to start calling like crazy to locate it. It didn't get transferred to the units we are in currently. It wasn't in the other unit either, because we could still use the key for access and tried that in our panic to get the car seat quickly. We called yesterday morning to have it delivered, and it just didn't get here until we were nearly late for Biergarten. We had to nag, and I am not a nag.

Last edited:

MFT

TUG Member
Reaction score
I think the fact that you were dealing with the "night shift" states it all. For thirty years, I've worked for an industry that is 24/7, and sadly, the night shift is traditionally the newest hires and the least experienced. Why? Because no one wants to work the graveyard shift, and these people are put into these positions, with hopes that they eventually get transitioned down into an evening or better yet, a day position. Of course, this process also weeds out those who are only their short term, and gives the company the opportunity to groom those on this shift who show initiative, the ability to progress and yes, get into a better schedule down the road.

In your case, the night people were just reading what was in their system (you stated that the inventory manager in fact cancelled one of the reservations...). Thankfully, they got you into two units. One of the problems is these people just don't have the power to override the computer, or to make things happen the way we would like them to. The fact that the manager hid away in his office, speaks volumes of his abilities... Maybe if he had got out of his chair and not worried if he was winning whatever game he was playing online, things could have been straightened out more timely.

As a point of reference, it's like the waitress that takes the blunt of a bad meal at a restaurant. We were at a place yesterday, where it seemed that no one was happy with what they were getting, and this poor girl was the "face" of the restaurant, as the server. She had to deal with the complaints, the issues, and ultimately more than likely the low tips. One complaint was about a meal, and she went to the kitchen (BTW: the owner is the cook), and came back and said she was sorry, but she could not credit the meal off the check. At our table, two of the four meals were okay, the other two were just awful. I did tip the waitress decently, as it wasn't her fault, but I will never go back, and if anyone asks, I'll tell them what I think of the place (Just like you did here).

Have a great rest of a trip while in FL!

Sandy VDH

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wynd VIP Plat GF, HGVC Elite, WM, HICV, +
Did you ever get your second unit? I didn't see that in your comments.

Did they admit their error in the process?

Rent_Share

TUG Member
Reaction score
This inventory manager saw two units in our name and didn't check to see if we actually had TWO UNITS, and he canceled one. You know why. I don't have to tell you.

Hilton Hotels did this to me due to two reservations with the same First and Last Name, Since I had a conformation number they accommodated me

Southwest (my favorite airline) delayed you about 90 minutes. That was their fault.

Knowing you were behind, you went to the grocery store and fast food. Could the groceries have been done the next day? You were already way behind your schedule.

Since Southwest is "your favorite airline" you should be fully aware that beyond peanuts and pretzels no food is available on any SW flight at any price.

A 9:00 Arrival time is 7:00 PM MST so planning to stop for dinner from the airport is not an unreasonable plan, an additional 90 minute delay with a toddler makes it critical, The decision to stop for breakfast provisions at the store as opposed to arriving inside the compound with nothing open to have in the morning when the toddler wakes up was also prudent)

YMMV

Beefnot

TUG Member
Reaction score
Did you ever get your second unit? I didn't see that in your comments.

Did they admit their error in the process?

They got their second unit.

What did Wyndham do for us? They moved our stuff into the two units we were supposed to have in the first place, including the refrigerated stuff because we had things to do today. They gave us two gift baskets, with items we wouldn't buy ourselves because that is how gift baskets always are. They each have a bottle of sparkling water (we need alcohol!), and a few bags of candy, a box of pita chips and a bag of sunflower kernels. What do I have to say about that? Big deal. Seriously? I could buy those items for $10, but I wouldn't buy any of them for myself.

Sandy VDH

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wynd VIP Plat GF, HGVC Elite, WM, HICV, +
Missed that somehow. Thanks for pointing it out.

MFT

TUG Member
Reaction score
I was wondering, since both my wife and I are on the RCI plan, I assume we could have one reservation in my name, and a second in my wife's? Or will they both pull my wife's, as she is the primary name on the account?

Renny30

TUG Member
Reaction score
Wyndham customer service seemed to be short of hostile. Shame on those chicks on the nightshift, but isn't the real problem here the lack of proof of purchase? The reason we get confirmations is to prove we have the reservation.

I hope you are having fun at this point. Tell management to forget the key. How about one of those pool cabanas.

Renny30

TUG Member
Reaction score
Since Southwest is "your favorite airline" you should be fully aware that beyond peanuts and pretzels no food is available on any SW flight at any price.

YMMV

They have doing the peanut and pretzel thing since I was in grad school, maybe always.

chriskre

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
DVC- SSR, Poly,
Wyndham Las Cascadas
HGVC Tuscany Village
Bluegreen CMV UDI
RCI pts at VVParkway
Enchanted Isle resort.
Sorry you had issues at Bonnet Creek. :(

I've not had any problems at Bonnet Creek but I always use my own points or rent from an owner to stay there. My new favorite off site resort when traveling with friends. :D

Just curious why you did exchanges instead of using your own points.:shrug:
The presidential reserve units are way nicer than the exchange units and you could get yourself one those of those beautiful 4 bedrooms without all the hassle of dealing with all the issues that can happen with an exchange. ;)

I think the RCI exchangers are low on the totem pole with Wyn. Not that I have personally had any issues but I don't have as many years of Wyn ownership experience as you do. Hope I didn't jinx myself. :ignore:

Enjoy the rest of your trip. Sounds like this isn't anything that a few frozen drinks at the pool bar can't make you forget. Enjoy the lazy river. :)

New2time

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Smoky Mountains
How about sharing that RCI 24 hour number? Could come in handy one day.

NHTraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score

A 9:00 Arrival time is 7:00 PM MST so planning to stop for dinner from the airport is not an unreasonable plan, an additional 90 minute delay with a toddler makes it critical, The decision to stop for breakfast provisions at the store as opposed to arriving inside the compound with nothing open to have in the morning when the toddler wakes up was also prudent)

YMMV

I guess I am prepared for whatever comes my way. I print my confirmations and boarding passes and take what I might need on the plane with me. If/When something happens, I have what I need at the time. I'm a planner and plan ahead. I don't need their peanuts and pretzels.

ronparise

TUG Member
Reaction score
Ron, calling ahead is important, yes. And perhaps Cindy should assign more blame to the other entities which contributed to the fiasco. However, there is absolutely no excusing pss poor service, even if it is someone's second job.

The complaint is poor service and attitude and Im not excusing that only offering a possible explanation.The fact is she got her two units that night and didnt even use the second one
And the mistake was made, further up the line, not by the front desk staff

and Cindy, Im not making excuses for Wyndham, in fact I think thats where your anger should be directed, Not at "these two buffoons" as you put it

Ive worked on the front lines of several large companies and government organizations;all my considerably long life, as a paper boy for the Washington Post, as a waiter for J Willard Marriott, as an inspector for the State of Maryland, as a stock broker for Dean Witter, and now as a real estate agent selling homes built by several National Builders. and renting vacation properties managed by the likes of Wyndham. As was said in a post above, we on the front lines have to take the crap for mistakes made anywhere in the system and most of us do with a smile on our face, but if you treat me like a buffoon, a buffoon is what you'll get.

Last edited:

SOS8260456

TUG Member
Reaction score
Cindy,

Hugs for the bad start to your vacation. I know you have been looking forward to this. We would have done a quick stop for food also. I can't even imagine getting to the resort that late with no food and Bonnet Creek does not have room service.

While I always enjoy our stays at Bonnet Creek, sometimes that front desk staff just does not know what they are doing and management is never available. I am thankful that they didn't rent your unit out since they are know to overbook

Chris,
I own alot of Wyndham points, but with my other ownerships, it can be much cheaper to trade into Bonnet Creek through RCI, so why should I waste the points. I am sure this is what Cindy was doing.

I think Cindy would have had the same problem with or without the printed confirmations. Who is to say that she didn't print the confirmations and then cancel one of them? I think the staff would have still given her a hard time, especially since there were initially two units and then one was cancelled in the their system.

Hope today went much better.