• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Wyndham alignment of use years

dgalati

TUG Member
Reaction score
Has anyone looked at points balance after a rebalance of use years? I Called 3/31 and requested the use year dates stay the same on the January, April and July deeds I own. On 4/1 looked at account all use years were aligned to the January date. The April use year had 3000 points expiring 3/31. They kindly extended the use of those 3000 points to 12/31. What happened to the 105,000 points that were to be deposited into my account 4/1? I suppose the 3000 points extended to 12/31 was a even exchange for the 105,000 due 4/1. I also have 127,500 points that were to expire 6/30 with 154,000 new points deposited 7/1. Not the case I was told the 127,500 were extended for use to 12/31. Any thoughts on this scenario? I printed copies of the screen shots of points dated 3/31 & 4/1

CO skier

TUG Member
Reaction score
Has anyone looked at points balance after a rebalance of use years? I Called 3/31 and requested the use year dates stay the same on the January, April and July deeds I own. On 4/1 looked at account all use years were aligned to the January date. The April use year had 3000 points expiring 3/31. They kindly extended the use of those 3000 points to 12/31. What happened to the 105,000 points that were to be deposited into my account 4/1? I suppose the 3000 points extended to 12/31 was a even exchange for the 105,000 due 4/1. I also have 127,500 points that were to expire 6/30 with 154,000 new points deposited 7/1. Not the case I was told the 127,500 were extended for use to 12/31. Any thoughts on this scenario? I printed copies of the screen shots of points dated 3/31 & 4/1
It looks like all the Use Years were aligned on 3/31. You will still receive all the points; the award dates and expiration dates of the points changed.

The 105,000 points to be awarded 4/1/2017 will now arrive in your account January, 2018 -- 9 months later, but the expiration date for these points (12/31/2018) will be 9 month later than if they were awarded 4/1/2017.

Same thing with the 154,000 points that were to be awarded July 1 -- 6 months later award with a 6 month later expiration date.

Beginning with January, 2019, everything is in sync.

It might seem that you are paying maintenance fees on the "slippage" months without receiving points, but that will depend on whether or not you have used all the points for the Use Year when you eventually sell. If you use all the points in the Use Year before selling, then you used all the points you paid for during the "slippage" months.

am1

TUG Member
Reaction score
The selling price (if any) will be greatly affected by what points are available. Also the time value of points. Wyndham is scamming us on this.

It looks like all the Use Years were aligned on 3/31. You will still receive all the points; the award dates and expiration dates of the points changed.

The 105,000 points to be awarded 4/1/2017 will now arrive in your account January, 2018 -- 9 months later, but the expiration date for these points (12/31/2018) will be 9 month later than if they were awarded 4/1/2017.

Same thing with the 154,000 points that were to be awarded July 1 -- 6 months later award with a 6 month later expiration date.

Beginning with January, 2019, everything is in sync.

It might seem that you are paying maintenance fees on the "slippage" months without receiving points, but that will depend on whether or not you have used all the points for the Use Year when you eventually sell. If you use all the points in the Use Year before selling, then you used all the points you paid for during the "slippage" months.

whitewater

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Club Wyndham Access
Pueblo Bonito Sunset Beach (1Br, 2Br)
Pueblo Bonito Sunset Beach - Monte Cristo Estates
yep I had my March 31 use year adjusted to Dec. 31. Prorated 75% of points for current year. When I questioned wyndham said you get more points sooner... in reality I was short 3 months worth of points and will never get them back. Nothing I could do. Wyndham got 3 months of points while fees (prior owners) paid for use.....

bummer but nothing one can do.

am1

TUG Member
Reaction score
yep I had my March 31 use year adjusted to Dec. 31. Prorated 75% of points for current year. When I questioned wyndham said you get more points sooner... in reality I was short 3 months worth of points and will never get them back. Nothing I could do. Wyndham got 3 months of points while fees (prior owners) paid for use.....

bummer but nothing one can do.

Prorating is fine and fair all things considered. When a use year starts is important to some and rightly so but the op seems to not have received any prorated points.

happyhopian

Reaction score
Prorating is fine and fair all things considered. When a use year starts is important to some and rightly so but the op seems to not have received any prorated points.

I think this is the key. The OP should contact Owner Care and ask that their points be pro-rated to the new use year and report back the response. Ask for a points audit. He should have gotten something for the shift in time. I know I did as well.

dgalati

TUG Member
Reaction score
I called and received a case number. The contact said I should receive the 105,000 points that were due 4/1 plus a additional points 25% of contract total, for loss of 3 months use. On the 154,000 point deed, I should be able to use the 127,500 points available along with receiving the 154,000 points that should be available on 7/1. In the past when requesting the alignment of use dates this is how it was handled. I wonder how many points get lost in the shuffle of aligning use dates?

CO skier

TUG Member
Reaction score
I wonder how many points get lost in the shuffle of aligning use dates?
A couple of years before the forced Use Year re-alignment, I called to request that my January Use Year be combined with my October Use Year. The request was in August, and the VPC did it during a phone call with the understanding that it was a one-time, irreversible deal. The full, combined points were awarded the following October, so I received my January points 3 months earlier than if the Use Year had not been changed to October.

While it is too late for this information to help your situation, it might help other Wyndham owners who have multiple Use Years that include a January Use Year. Rather than wait for Wyndham to re-align contracts to a January Use Year at a disadvantageous time, be proactive and about the November timeframe, ask Wyndham to re-align the contracts to a January Use Year. The full points should then be awarded in January with the aligned Use Years being awarded early.

dgalati

TUG Member
Reaction score
I called and received a case number. The contact said I should receive the 105,000 points that were due 4/1 plus a additional points 25% of contract total, for loss of 3 months use. On the 154,000 point deed, I should be able to use the 127,500 points available along with receiving the 154,000 points that should be available on 7/1. In the past when requesting the alignment of use dates this is how it was handled. I wonder how many points get lost in the shuffle of aligning use dates?
Final out come I received 75% of the April points and 50% of the July points. I also wasted a lot of time on the phone ;)

nicemann

TUG Member
Reaction score
Final out come I received 75% of the April points and 50% of the July points. I also wasted a lot of time on the phone ;)

Congrats, glad you fought for your points

Sandi Bo

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham
Congrats, glad you fought for your points

And I'm jealous.

I have spent hours on the phone resulting 2 audits. Resulting in no adjustment. They say I'm not missing any points and somehow think that me credit pooling points prior to the adjustment affects the proration process.

Gotta love Wyndham - the only thing consistent is their inconsistency and lack of understanding of their own product.

staceyeileen

TUG Member
Reaction score
It looks like all the Use Years were aligned on 3/31.

The OP said he/she requested the use year realignment. Are you saying it happened to others unexpectedly? I have one contract with a Jan use year and one with a July use year. I'm wondering if I should expect a realignment come July.

staceyeileen

TUG Member
Reaction score
It looks like all the Use Years were aligned on 3/31.

The OP said he/she requested the use year realignment. Are you saying it happened to others unexpectedly? I have one contract with a Jan use year and one with a July use year. I'm wondering if I should expect a realignment come July.

whitewater

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Club Wyndham Access
Pueblo Bonito Sunset Beach (1Br, 2Br)
Pueblo Bonito Sunset Beach - Monte Cristo Estates
don
I called thus was re-alligned.

Don't call but I've heard of others adjusted without prior knowledge.

CO skier

TUG Member
Reaction score
The OP said he/she requested the use year realignment.
I read it that the OP called and requested that the Use Years NOT be re-aligned. The call precipitated a re-alignment to a January Use Year, and due to the timing, the points are still awarded; they are just awarded 6-9 months later than usual versus the prior Use Years.

Are you saying it happened to others unexpectedly?
From what I have read on TUG, the answer is "yes" and "it depends". When it happens, though, it is always unexpected.

I'm wondering if I should expect a realignment come July.
Not necessarily - it could happen or not, there is no predictability. If I were in your situation, and knowing what I know, I would hope that a re-alignment does not occur before your July Use Year. If you get lucky and are awarded your July Use Year points in July this year (seems likely at this point in time), I would wait until the October - November timeframe, call in, and ask to have the July Use Year aligned with the January Use Year. The vacation counselor should be able to do it immediately.

You should then receive your full, combined points in January, and your July Use Year points will have been awarded 6 months earlier than usual.

staceyeileen

TUG Member
Reaction score
I would wait until the October - November timeframe, call in, and ask to have the July Use Year aligned with the January Use Year. The vacation counselor should be able to do it immediately.

You should then receive your full, combined points in January, and your July Use Year points will have been awarded 6 months earlier than usual.

But then wouldn't the points I was awarded in July 2017 expire on 12/31/2017? I'd likely lose those points because I already have 2 vacations planned over the summer and no plans to travel for the rest of 2017.

Avislo

TUG Member
Reaction score
But then wouldn't the points I was awarded in July 2017 expire on 12/31/2017? I'd likely lose those points because I already have 2 vacations planned over the summer and no plans to travel for the rest of 2017.

There is some merit to the old saying if it not broke do not fix it.

vacationhopeful

TUG Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
Robert,
What the prior poster to YOUR ABOVE comment suggested was a PREVENTIVE action on the account.

What you (Robert - Avislo) are recommending is a "head in the sand" action ... sort of like ==> Why change the oil in the car? The motor is still running.

IMHO.

Avislo

TUG Member
Reaction score
Robert,
What the prior poster to YOUR ABOVE comment suggested was a PREVENTIVE action on the account.

What you (Robert - Avislo) are recommending is a "head in the sand" action ... sort of like ==> Why change the oil in the car? The motor is still running.

IMHO.

In her case, Yep.

joanncanary

TUG Member
Reaction score
i was just adjusted today. Not really happy but I did get 50% of my points since they were moving 6 months. They aligned everything to my Oct use year opposed to April. Which they did the April.

Sandi Bo

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham
i was just adjusted today. Not really happy but I did get 50% of my points since they were moving 6 months. They aligned everything to my Oct use year opposed to April. Which they did the April.

And I'm jealous. They would not give me any points when I was realigned. I'm out 1M points.

I went from April and Oct to a December use year. Not thrilled with that but understand we have to live with it.

But happy for you :)

Because of how they did it, I essentially did not receive 2018 points. Thus cannot ARP for our annual Daytona family vacation in August of 2018. No 4BR Pres for us next year.

am1

TUG Member
Reaction score
And I'm jealous. They would not give me any points when I was realigned. I'm out 1M points.

I went from April and Oct to a December use year. Not thrilled with that but understand we have to live with it.

But happy for you :)

Because of how they did it, I essentially did not receive 2018 points. Thus cannot ARP for our annual Daytona family vacation in August of 2018. No 4BR Pres for us next year.

You do not have to accept it. A million points is $6000 in fees plus your ownership cost.

Jan M.

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Presidential Reserve at Panama City Beach
Club Wyndham Access
Grandview Las Vegas and Discovery Beach Resort - Both in RCI Points
Woodstone and Summit at Massanutten - Both in RCI weeks used as Wyndham PICs
You do not have to accept it. A million points is $6000 in fees plus your ownership cost.

I'm not understanding something. How can they take points away that you have paid for?

Say as of today an owner has 1M points coming up with a July 1, 2017-2018 use year, none of which have been used, borrowed, booked or pooled yet, and they change the use year to Jan. 1. I can understand if they are saying okay now you only have until Dec. 31, 2017 to use 500k of those points. The other 500k become part of your new Jan 1, 2018-2019 use year. Doesn't that owner still have the same number of points they always had, the only thing that changed is when they get them and when they have to use them by?

In a case like Sandi Bo who had two different use years and was changed to a third use year, how would most of us ever figure it out? Especially since in most cases it isn't like my hypothetical question with a future use year but already in the owners current use year and they have already used some of the points in the contracts that are being re-aligned.

Will they explain the formula they used and the actual figures or send an accounting so that the owner can review it?

am1

TUG Member
Reaction score
If I believe her situation correctly the points were suppose to be available to reserve rooms starting April 1 and October 1 for a year. Wyndham delayed issuing those points for 9 and 3 months after they she was suppose to get them. Her accounts should have had 75% and 25% of her contracts points added to her account as a one time thing to make up for what Wyndham did.

Avislo

TUG Member
Reaction score
Dear Valued Club Wyndham Owner:

We are pleased to inform you of an upcoming change to your CLUB WYNDHAM® Plus membership that will simplify your usage in the future and allow us to better serve you.

As you may know, all contracts in the CLUB WYNDHAM Plus program have one of four "Use Years": January 1 to December 31; April 1 to March 31 of the following year; July 1 to June 30 of the following year, or October 1 to September 30 of the following year.

We have identified your membership as having at least two contracts with different Use Years. This means that you currently have points beginning and ending multiple times throughout the year. In an effort to improve your membership experience, we have begun the process of consolidating all your contracts so that they have the same Use Year End Date, 12/31.

Please note that your contract with the latest Use Year End Date will be unchanged. However, any contract(s) that does not have the same Use Year as the one with the latest End Date will be changed to that date. This change will be effective as of November 19, 2012.

We recognize that moving your Use Year End date to a later quarter also results in a delay of the start date of these points. So, we have been authorized to award you a one-time additional allocation of Points for you to use at no cost to you! The amount of points you will be awarded for each contract is based upon how many quarters we move your Use Year. If it is moved one quarter later, you will receive an additional allocation of 25% of your annual points; If it is moved two quarters later, you will receive an additional allocation of 50% of your annual points; and if it is moved three quarters later, you will receive an additional allocation of 75% of your annual points.

For example:
Contract
Number:
Annual
Current
Use Year: New
Use Year: Additional One-time Point
Allocation:
??-34- 154,000 1/1 to 12/31 1/1 to 12/31 (no change) n/a
??-76- 300,000 7/1 to 6/30 1/1 to 12/31 150,000

This change does not impact points deposited with RCI, II or the Points Credit Pool, as well as Bonus Points, PIC Points and Cancelled Reservation Points.

Again, this change is effective as of November 19, 2012. After this date, please feel free to check your account status online at clubwyndham.com to confirm the Use Year changes and the award of the additional Point allocations.

If you have any questions related to this matter, we have established a dedicated toll-free phone number, 855-800-6749. This number will be operational Monday through Friday 8am to 8pm EST through the end of the year. We look forward to assisting you with all of your vacation needs and appreciate the opportunity to be of service.

Sincerely,

CLUB WYNDHAM® Plus

March, Maui, Hono Koa
April, Branson
May, Kauai, Shearwater
Oct, Maui, Kahana Beach
Dec. Napa Valley, Vino Bello
rickandcindy23, Nov 8, 2012