• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Wussing out after skin cancer removal.

Passepartout

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
While we are whining about our ailments tonight, I went in this morning to have a basal cell carcinoma removed from the end of my nose. It started as a zit just never healed. It would get a scab, I'd rub it off, the thing would seep some clear pink fluid, that dried then formed a scab and the cycle would repeat. Doc took a biopsy last month, yep. Positive. So I did it today, and have a triangular piece of embroidery on my nose for all to see for a month or two. I guess that's the price we people of Northern European decent pay for all those sunburns we got as children- and basically living a life outdoors. Sunscreen? What's that?

Doc also shaved off a squamous cell cancer above my eyebrow.

At least I won't have to look too far for a Halloween costume!

Jim

DaveNV

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
Glad it was so easily handled. Good luck with a quick recovery. The skin check part of those exams are a little unsettling, don't you think? I don't know that I'd have been looked over that closely if I'd been applying for the cover of GQ magazine... :eek:

Dave

Passepartout

TUG Member
Reaction score
Glad it was so easily handled. Good luck with a quick recovery. The skin check part of those exams are a little unsettling, don't you think? I don't know that I'd have been looked over that closely if I'd been applying for the cover of GQ magazine... :eek:
Yeah. No worries about the cover shot, tho. This dermatologist has looked me over for years. He takes my word on it when he asks if anything has changed THERE. Then he gets out the thermos sprayer and goes after my head.

clifffaith

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark
I hope you have an easy recovery. Both Cliff and my mother unexpectedly had tough times with recovery from skin cancer removal this summer. Cliff had a squamous cell carcinoma on the middle knuckle of his right hand that was fine for the first week after removal, but the day after his recheck the hand blew up like a balloon and split open the sutures, making tendons visible inside the wound. The small basal cell carcinoma Mom had removed from her ankle immediately caused problems that led to twelve hours in the emergency room, then two months of twice weekly trips to a wound center, infectious disease doctor and an infusion center for intravenous antibiotics. Last week she had an ultrasound on that leg, and this week sees a vascular surgeon. IMHO, her dermatologist had no business "burning" that small cancer off when for years that leg had been swollen.

LisaH

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Now I'm nervous. I have never visited a dermatologist in my life. Should I make an appointment?
Good luck with a speedy recovery!

Luanne

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
San Diego Country Estates
Now I'm nervous. I have never visited a dermatologist in my life. Should I make an appointment?
Lisa, I only just started seeing a dermatologist. I see him once a year just for a check. He did a biopsy of a small spot he found on my shoulder, it was benign. It certainly can't hurt to start seeing one.

Passepartout

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks. We don't know your age, but if you are 'middle aged', and of N. European background, and spent lots of time outdoors, those are risk factors. Consider a 'body scan' with a dermatologist. And particularly if you have blemishes on your skin. PARTICULARLY if those blemishes change. If they get bigger. If they have 'irrgular' shapes. That's the kind of things you need to have looked at.

No point in being nervous. The time to be nervous is if you've let these little things that can be frozen and just fall off turn into deep growths that develop deep 'roots'.

Jim

Reaction score
I hope you have an easy recovery. Both Cliff and my mother unexpectedly had tough times with recovery from skin cancer removal this summer. Cliff had a squamous cell carcinoma on the middle knuckle of his right hand that was fine for the first week after removal, but the day after his recheck the hand blew up like a balloon and split open the sutures, making tendons visible inside the wound. The small basal cell carcinoma Mom had removed from her ankle immediately caused problems that led to twelve hours in the emergency room, then two months of twice weekly trips to a wound center, infectious disease doctor and an infusion center for intravenous antibiotics. Last week she had an ultrasound on that leg, and this week sees a vascular surgeon. IMHO, her dermatologist had no business "burning" that small cancer off when for years that leg had been swollen.

What medical school did you go to to say he had no business taking off a skin cancer? Do you really want to live with skin cancer that can spread and even cause death?

It appears you have a sting of bad luck or complications and perhaps it is time to see a different doctor.

pianodinosaur

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC SeaWorld x 2, HGVC Las Vegas Strip x 2, MVC Mountain Valley Lodge, MVC Legend’s Edge
Thanks. We don't know your age, but if you are 'middle aged', and of N. European background, and spent lots of time outdoors, those are risk factors. Consider a 'body scan' with a dermatologist. And particularly if you have blemishes on your skin. PARTICULARLY if those blemishes change. If they get bigger. If they have 'irrgular' shapes. That's the kind of things you need to have looked at.

No point in being nervous. The time to be nervous is if you've let these little things that can be frozen and just fall off turn into deep growths that develop deep 'roots'.

Jim

I know a gentleman who postponed seeing a physician for a skin cancer on his nose. It got so bad he had to have his nose completely removed. Fortunately, he now has an excellent prosthesis. I hope you never suffer like he did.

artringwald

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
DRI: The Point at Poipu, 3 deeded weeks, 1 of which is in The Club.
I friend of ours had to have the side of his face removed because they didn't catch the skin cancer in time. It didn't help. He died within a couple of years.

We both get a total body scans once/year, and both of us have had pre-cancerous spots removed. Skin cancer can form in places that never see the sun. It can be awkward at first, but after three joint replacement surgeries, I'm not as shy as I used to be.

AnnaS

TUG Member
Reaction score
Always good to get body scans. My Brother-in-law passed from melanoma.

The basal cell carcinoma are very common and are slow growing. My mom also had one on the tip of her nose. (as well as my neighbor and my daughter-in-law's mom). We also thought she had scratched her nose or a scab/pimple. She went to one of her doctors one day and the first thing he said when he walked in was, "you need to get that checked/looks like basal cell carcinoma" and sure enough it was.

Quick recovery!!

Keep an eye out for them everyone. Nose and ears are popular spots to see them.

WinniWoman

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Innseason Pollard Brook
Here's to a quick healing for you, Jim.

Passepartout

TUG Member
Reaction score
Well, so far so good. No pain meds necessary. The spot that was shaved off then cauterized covers nicely with a band-aid. The ol' nose will take a while- they tell me a couple of months. Stitches out in a week. They taught me to cut and shape bandages, so that'll be part of the daily regimen. It fits under my CPAP mask, so sleep continues to be restful. They recommend silicone gel to make scars disappear. (available on Amazon). All in all, this Mohs surgery for skin lesions is far better, more complete and less scaring than the old, gouge it out or cut it off methods of earlier times. With Mohs, you're all numbed up, the cancer is shaved off & biopsied on the spot- while you wait. If it's all taken out, the surgeon sews you up, if not, they take another slice and biopsy it until the cancer is all removed. I'll be on a little light duty- though that doesn't mean a lot to me. If stuff needs done, I'm gonna do it. We'll go to San Francisco this weekend. Can't let a little bandage get in the way of a good time.

DW's youngest runs IT for Burning Man. (believe it or not) His birthday is this weekend and there is a Burning Man 'Decompression' in S.F. Kind of 'Burning Man light', so he invited us. We'll be well North of the age curve, and this will be a decidedly 'looser' group, but if they will tolerate us, we'll tolerate them.

Jim

AnnaS

TUG Member
Reaction score
Glad all went well. Have a great weekend!

Glynda

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Bluegreen Points Lodge Alley Inn.
Brewster Green (two weeks).

Dave

Be happy that you have a doctor who is that thorough! I had a melanoma removed on my shoulder and had to have body checks more frequently as the surgeon said it was a matter of not if it returns but when it returns. That was 10 years ago and I'm feeling more confident that it won't and stretching them out a little further. My hubby caught it early, spotting it when I was wearing a bathing suit in Aruba. My current dermatologist is not as thorough. I have mixed feelings about that. It's a relief at the moment when she doesn't but having experienced almost microscopic examinations of every nook and cranny on my body before, convinces me that she really isn't doing her job. The very thorough check is awkward for sure but could save a life.

I had a friend who found a lump on his jaw when shaving. It was a holiday so he went to the ER. ER doc biopsied it and told him it was nothing. He still felt unsure and went to his dermatologist only to be told that the dermatologist agreed with the hospital's finding. Some months later it was found to be malignant, a squamous cell cancer. He had an extensive surgery to remove one side of his throat and a lot of tissue inside his jaw and mouth. Skin grafts had to be done to recreate the area under his chin. Radiation, chemo and stem cell treatments were done but too late. It had spread to his lungs. He passed away within a year and a half and I miss him.

wackymother

TUG Member
Reaction score
While we are whining about our ailments tonight, I went in this morning to have a basal cell carcinoma removed from the end of my nose. It started as a zit just never healed. It would get a scab, I'd rub it off, the thing would seep some clear pink fluid, that dried then formed a scab and the cycle would repeat. Doc took a biopsy last month, yep. Positive. So I did it today, and have a triangular piece of embroidery on my nose for all to see for a month or two. I guess that's the price we people of Northern European decent pay for all those sunburns we got as children- and basically living a life outdoors. Sunscreen? What's that?

Doc also shaved off a squamous cell cancer above my eyebrow.

At least I won't have to look too far for a Halloween costume!

Jim

It doesn't sound like you were or are wussing out at all! It sounds like you were very brave. You deserve a lollipop! (And a trip to Burning Man.) :D

Sea Six

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Club Regency - Marco Island
Lagunamar - Cancun
Vistana Villages Key West (2) - Orlando
I had many a bad sunburn as a kid in Ft Lauderdale. Go to a skin Dr every 6 months now, just for a check-up.

easyrider

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark * * Villa Del Palmar UVCI * * Vacation Internationale*
This getting old thing kind of sucks. Funny how our medical issues become interesting as we age. Jim, all I want to say is do not pick your nose, lol.

Bill

Passepartout

TUG Member
Reaction score
This getting old thing kind of sucks. Funny how our medical issues become interesting as we age. Jim, all I want to say is do not pick your nose, lol.
Uh-huh. But it beats NOT getting older. You can pick your friends but not your nose. Poblem is it ITCHES! I didn't know when I retired 10 years ago that I would turn into the Bionic Man. Now if I could just run 'faster than a speeding bullet; Able to leap over tall buildings'. :)

WinniWoman

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Innseason Pollard Brook
I have not been to a dermatologist in a zillion years, but I do show skin marks to my family doctor when I have my annual physical.

Passepartout

TUG Member
Reaction score
I have not been to a dermatologist in a zillion years, but I do show skin marks to my family doctor when I have my annual physical.
If I've told you once, I've told you a million times- DON'T EXAGGERATE! With your move, you'll be finding a new one to show off for. That's always fun. (not)