• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

[WSJ] Need quick advice re: tax bill from 1998 [Merged]

LauraS93

Reaction score
Hi everyone! :hi: Long time no posts from me... needless to say it was a busy summer.

But now the end of Sept is here and I'm looking at a tax bill from the USVI Gov't. It dates back to 1998. Geez, isn't there a statute of limitations on this sort of thing?

We purchased in June 1998, for week 25 at the WSJ. Our first use year was 1999. Everything was paid at the time of settlement, to make this free and clear, or so I thought.

Then I got a tax bill a few months ago dating back to 1998. My dh called the Westin, and supposedly they said the bills were sent in error.

Anyone out there know what's going on? Help!

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
I know that David (DavidnRobin) has posted about the USVI being way behind on tax bills - I'd contact him. I'd also contact the closing company - did you do a title search? Of course a tax bill that's this late wouldn't have shown up on a title search in 1998!

Last edited:

ausman

TUG Member
Reaction score
A 10 year late bill. I think you are right to question it and refer to the statute of limitations.

I'm often confused now between US law and English common law, however I think the 7 year limitation would apply to both.

I probably should have Googled it before replying. But you could do that too.

DavidnRobin

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV OFD (Maui)
WPORV (Kauai)
WSJ-VGV (St. John)
WKV (Scottsdale)
I posted a link to the issues with the USVI tax bills in the WSJ thread. It is quite confusing. If in fact the 1998 taxes were not paid there is a 'grace' period that allows you to pay them without penalty (ending soon). This is different than the recent tax bills for 2006 that were sent out and then rescinded. I would read the articles about these issues in the news links that is in the WSJ thread.

Tough call - I know nothing about a statute of limitations regarding this. It is likely that back in 1999 the tax bills hadn't been updated so a title/tax search may have not caught it - mine didn't - it was only because I keep up on the local news that I was aware of the tax bill issues. Luckily, the previous owners paid our 2005 tax bill (since it was their use year) - they are upstanding folks - otherwise we would have been stuck with it.

http://www.virginislandsdailynews.com/index.pl/article_home?id=17628882
http://www.virginislandsdailynews.com/index.pl/article_home?id=17628723

Last edited:

DavidnRobin

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV OFD (Maui)
WPORV (Kauai)
WSJ-VGV (St. John)
WKV (Scottsdale)
Get it in writing.

I do not agree with this - DO NOT depend on anything in regards to taxes from WSJ (writing or otherwise). If you want clarity - discuss with the USVI tax assessors office - what WSJ says plays no role.

WSJ may think they are talking about the recent tax bills were sent out (and rescinded per reports in the news). Laura was talking about a 1998 tax bill.

Tia

TUG Member
Reaction score
Hi DavidnRobin,

I am looking for your thread on the USVI 2006 taxes for timeshares you referenced in the Caribbean forum here on TUG.

I would not even count on what the Tax Assessors Office tells you, I appealed our 2006 tax bill using return mail receipt but they did not have it when I went in to the office while there week 9, but they let me file another appeal... odd as the deadline had supposedly past.

Anyway there is a group trying to form to fight their new much larger assessment on timeshares in the USVI. (it's a Bluebeards Castle group) Maybe email me or pm me for contact information if anyone is interested?

Tina

....If you want clarity - discuss with the USVI tax assessors office - what WSJ says plays no role.

WSJ may think they are talking about the recent tax bills were sent out (and rescinded per reports in the news). ....

DavidnRobin

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV OFD (Maui)
WPORV (Kauai)
WSJ-VGV (St. John)
WKV (Scottsdale)
Hi DavidnRobin,

I am looking for your thread on the USVI 2006 taxes for timeshares you referenced in the Caribbean forum here on TUG.

I would not even count on what the Tax Assessors Office tells you, I appealed our 2006 tax bill using return mail receipt but they did not have it when I went in to the office while there week 9, but they let me file another appeal... odd as the deadline had supposedly past.

Anyway there is a group trying to form to fight their new much larger assessment on timeshares in the USVI. (it's a Bluebeards Castle group) Maybe email me or pm me for contact information if anyone is interested?

Tina

Hi Tina - it was me who responded to the Carib forum about this.

I went through this when I bought an adjacent week to our existing week at WSJ. I understand where you are coming from with regards to the USVI Tax Assessors Office, but unfortunately that is the people that need to be dealt with in regards to tax bills. Some tax bills were sent out last year, but they were 'illegally' sent out - that may be why there is no receipt.

How do you appeal a tax bill that has not yet occurred?

Currently - there are no 2006-2009 tax bills that are 'official' - but at some point there will be. How can the USVI operate w/o this source of revenue?

STJ tax increases are even greater than STT tax increases (people on STJ are attempting to fight this) - and the tax increase on TSs are the worst (an uphill battle - since TS folks live off island and have no vote...).

Go ahead and post their info here.

Tia

TUG Member
Reaction score
Westin ST John property taxes

Morning,

I was wondering if owners at the Westin STJ pay individual property taxes on their timeshare weeks? Is your HOA watching what the USVI tax assessor is trying to do with ts property taxes?

I know it's in court but they are trying to increase big time the % ts owners pay and are using original developer sales figures not resale values. Our tax for years was ~$110year for what is labeled as a 1BR lockout at Bluebeards Castle, and now they want ~$279/year based on a value of $17,900 :eek: for one week ! We know you can not re sell for that , plus many didn't buy from the developer but are still being taxed as if they did .

Not sure if ts owners down there should sit back and wait to see what they do. We have a few owners at my resort that are thinking of looking for someone to represent ts owners in the USVI on this matter.