• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

WSJ - Coral Vista Villas phase

tomandrobin

TUG Member
Reaction score
Dear THOMAS,

It’s an exciting time at The Westin St. John Resort & Villas. As an Owner here, you’re the first to know about an extensive renovation project that will solidify your resort as one of the premier destinations in the Caribbean. I am pleased to announce that we will be converting select hotel rooms to villas for the new Coral Vista Villas phase. Additionally, a variety of enhancements are being made throughout the entire resort for your future enjoyment.

We appreciate your patience during this journey to elevate the resort experience. Please look for additional information in the next couple of days.

Sincerely,
Suzanne Clark Signature
Suzanne Clark
Vice President, Owner Services

Introducing
Coral Vista Villas

Buildings 21, 22 and 23 in the lower hillside section will be converted to 54 spacious studio and two-bedroom villas overlooking Great Cruz Bay. What you can expect:

• Stylish and contemporary furnishings
• Sales begin this October
• Construction to begin this December
• Occupancy will begin January 2015 with final completion expected April 2015
• Once completed, there will be 200 vacation ownership villas at the resort.

DavidnRobin

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV OFD (Maui)
WPORV (Kauai)
WSJ-VGV (St. John)
WKV (Scottsdale)
Tom - I already posted this on the WSJ thread...
http://www.tugbbs.com/forums/showpost.php?p=1536221&postcount=1477

I assume that this will be it's own HOA like speculated previously, and told to me during an Owner's Update that it cannot be an extension of BV. These new buildings will cause further devaluation the VOIs of VG and BV. (supply/demand)

tomandrobin

TUG Member
Reaction score
The next three buildings will only feature studios and 2-bedroom units. No 3-bedroom units or 1-bedroom units. Since the email did not mention 2-bedroom lofts, I might assume none of them either.

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
I'm going to leave it in this thread, because I think it's of more general interest than the "BIG" thread. :hi:

tomandrobin

TUG Member
Reaction score

DavidnRobin

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV OFD (Maui)
WPORV (Kauai)
WSJ-VGV (St. John)
WKV (Scottsdale)
I'm going to leave it in this thread, because I think it's of more general interest than the "BIG" thread. :hi:

Fine by me - I would like to hear others opinions (and facts) on this.

I missed that they will only be 2Bd and studios - that helps the 1Bd owners in VGV as those will be the only 1Bd available.

My opinion - as mentioned - it will further devalue the VGV and BV VOIs due to an increase in supply (unless people figure out they can rent from owners instead of WSJ/SPG at a large savings).

Those who brought BV to be closer to the pool and resort should have waited.

vistana101

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SVV (x2)
Thanks for the info! Its great to see so many things happening around the resort. I just checked the Westin Website and I saw the Cruz Bay Prime closed, does anyone know why or have any specifics?

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
From the first post: 54 spacious studio and two-bedroom villas

pharmgirl

Reaction score
From the first post: 54 spacious studio and two-bedroom villas

Oops, thanks
Interested, but hope there will be some that sell as floating, find fixed to be too rigid for us
We've rented from owners and once exchanged into WSJ press week using Maui

LisaH

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Will Westin St John be 100% timeshares after this project is completed?

tomandrobin

TUG Member
Reaction score
We have two trips planned for next year.....May and July.

Hopefully, the construction will not be impacting both of these trips.

czar

TUG Member
Reaction score
Those who brought BV to be closer to the pool and resort should have waited.

Is this because these units are even closer? I'm assuming that these are the ones slightly lower and to the right if BV as you look up the hill?

I wonder if hear will be flex season like BV. How does the number of these units compare to BV?

I'm curious because I was planning to buy a BV summer float week but now I'm thinking it might be better to wait...although BV barely had a view so this section will probably have even less if a view.

tomandrobin

TUG Member
Reaction score
Is this because these units are even closer? I'm assuming that these are the ones slightly lower and to the right if BV as you look up the hill?

I wonder if hear will be flex season like BV. How does the number of these units compare to BV?

I'm curious because I was planning to buy a BV summer float week but now I'm thinking it might be better to wait...although BV barely had a view so this section will probably have even less if a view.

Some of the Bay Vista had views....not the sweeping vistas of the hillside units.

This is the view from our unit. The new phase is the next row down, you can see one of the roofs.

Carolyn

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin St John
WJL St Lucia
St James Club Antigua
Charter Club Marco
Sheraton Desert Oasis
I am just hoping that with the building of the new studios, SVO will increase their Staroptions value. Considering that St. John is one of the most desired Caribbean islands AND the WSJ is a nearly impossible exchange, I would think their "value" would increase. And hopefully this would also prompt the 1 Bedrooms value in Staroptions to be increased also. I understand this happened when the 2 BR Bay Vista units were built. Therefore the 2 BR Hillside owners units also increased in Staroptions :banana:

LisaRex

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Used to own: WKORV-N; SVV - Bella
I am just hoping that with the building of the new studios, SVO will increase their Staroptions value.

SO valuation is all over the place, IMO. It's not just WSJ. I just picked up a 3 bdrm at HRA for 125,000 for 5/31-6/4. I can't imagine paying all that $$ in MFs only to get 125,000 SOs.

lizap

TUG Member
Reaction score
I seriously doubt they will require any more than than Bay Vista. This is great news for those of us who own a mandatory property, as it will increase availability and our chances for an exchange..

I am just hoping that with the building of the new studios, SVO will increase their Staroptions value. Considering that St. John is one of the most desired Caribbean islands AND the WSJ is a nearly impossible exchange, I would think their "value" would increase. And hopefully this would also prompt the 1 Bedrooms value in Staroptions to be increased also. I understand this happened when the 2 BR Bay Vista units were built. Therefore the 2 BR Hillside owners units also increased in Staroptions :banana:

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Should increase II deposits, too...

SMHarman

TUG Member
Reaction score
Your weeks are already at the network max and on parity with HRA and HI (considering HI has a more consistent equatorial climate and year round good weather and the Caribbean is more seasonal).
SO valuation is all over the place, IMO. It's not just WSJ. I just picked up a 3 bdrm at HRA for 125,000 for 5/31-6/4. I can't imagine paying all that $$ in MFs only to get 125,000 SOs.
You are also paying for a 12 m booking window and buying where you want to go.

alexadeparis

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I have stayed in these buildings

I stayed in this building for the last night of our trip. It was a two bedroom unit that opened on the ground floor and contained a living and dining room, in the size of a large hotel room. Stairs going up led to a bridge overlooking the first floor living/dining combo and the two bedrooms were contained upstairs (one on either side) in spaces where our room on the first floor did not go. Its hard to explain in words, so I will try to represent it here. So I believe that the set up in those buildings is:

Unit A / Unit B / Unit C
2nd Floor: 2nd Bedroom / Bridge / Master Bedroom

1st Floor: Studio / Entry -2 Bd unit / Studio

So, I believe that unless they do major structural work, the breakdown of studios will be 36 and there will be 18 2 bedroom units, divided among the three buildings. It is possible that there is some other configuration that I did not see, but based on the way the 2 bedroom unit was, I don't see where else the studios could go.

GregT

TUG Member
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott: Maui Ocean Club Lahaina Villas (3BRx5), Ko Olina, Shadow Ridge II, Willow Ridge, Aruba Ocean Club, DC Points HGVC: Flamingo, Sea World, I-Drive, Starwood Bella (x4), SDO, TradeWinds, Worldmark
I stayed in this building for the last night of our trip. It was a two bedroom unit that opened on the ground floor and contained a living and dining room, in the size of a large hotel room. Stairs going up led to a bridge overlooking the first floor living/dining combo and the two bedrooms were contained upstairs (one on either side) in spaces where our room on the first floor did not go. Its hard to explain in words, so I will try to represent it here. So I believe that the set up in those buildings is:

Unit A / Unit B / Unit C
2nd Floor: 2nd Bedroom / Bridge / Master Bedroom

1st Floor: Studio / Entry -2 Bd unit / Studio

So, I believe that unless they do major structural work, the breakdown of studios will be 36 and there will be 18 2 bedroom units, divided among the three buildings. It is possible that there is some other configuration that I did not see, but based on the way the 2 bedroom unit was, I don't see where else the studios could go.

That is helpful information -- thank you!

Can you comment further on the size of the Studios? Can you guess if they will be same size as the Studios in the other phase (the press releases suggests they will be larger?)

Please advise and thanks!

letsgomets

TUG Member
Reaction score
I've stayed in 21, 22 and 23. About 1 minute closer to the pool (except 23, which is further than all BV except 27), but doesn't have nearly the views of buildings 24 and 27 in BV.

Interested to see how they configure the 2BR -- they can do it just like the BV units, which is essentially the footprint of 2 side-by-side hotel rooms. Or they can do it like the prior poster mentioned (I've stayed in the 2BR hotel rooms in 22 and 23), which would actually be somewhat similar to the 2BR+loft layout of BV.

Carolyn

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin St John
WJL St Lucia
St James Club Antigua
Charter Club Marco
Sheraton Desert Oasis
Your weeks are already at the network max and on parity with HRA and HI (considering HI has a more consistent equatorial climate and year round good weather and the Caribbean is more seasonal)

What do you mean by "network max"? My Platinum WSJ Studio is worth 44,000 Staroptions. A studio at WKORVN is worth 67,100 My WSJ Platinum Premium 1 bedroom townhouse is only worth 51,700 Staroptions. This compares to the 1 bedroom at WKORVN worth 81,000