• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Wow, Close Call with a Shark on Oahu.

slip

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Pono Kai, 20 wks; Maui Schooner, 1.5 wks; 1 week Ke Nani Kai; WaveCrest Condo, Molokai, HI

buzglyd

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGV Lagoon Tower
HGV Carlsbad Seapointe
Gaslamp Plaza Suites
SVV Bella
I read through some of the comments. Many are saying it’s a ray and I agree. It’s white with black around the edges like the underside of a manta ray. I don’t know of any shark like that.

DaveNV

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
Hard to tell for sure what it was. The pointed shape of what looks like a fin on the left appears to be several feet from a similar shape on the right. If you compare these screen caps in sequence, whatever it was seems to have pointed fins at both ends. I don't know of any rays that have pointed fins like that. A manta isn't likely to be in water so shallow. I think it was a shark, or maybe even two.

Screen Shot 2021-05-04 at 6.37.05 AM.png

Screen Shot 2021-05-04 at 6.37.45 AM.png

Screen Shot 2021-05-04 at 6.38.00 AM.png

Dave

buzglyd

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGV Lagoon Tower
HGV Carlsbad Seapointe
Gaslamp Plaza Suites
SVV Bella
Mantas swim by putting their tips up in the air. Sometimes they almost touch. The coloring is consistent with the underside of a manta. I don’t know of any shark with white fins with gray edging. Also, it looked like the little girl had something in her hand. Some posters were saying a squid.

Note to self: don’t carry fish food into the water if you don’t want a close encounter with fish!

DaveNV

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
Mantas swim by putting their tips up in the air. Sometimes they almost touch. The coloring is consistent with the underside of a manta. I don’t know of any shark with white fins with gray edging. Also, it looked like the little girl had something in her hand. Some posters were saying a squid.

Note to self: don’t carry fish food into the water if you don’t want a close encounter with fish!

Great points. The swishing motion the taller "fin" on the left makes seems more like a shark's tail than a ray's fin. But who knows? The video is so short, it's hard to really tell. The thing she has in her hand seems more telling than anything. If that was a squid, aka fish bait, then it might have easily been a shark. Glad she wasn't hurt, but it also shows how larger sealife can be easily hidden in such shallow water.

Dave

buzglyd

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGV Lagoon Tower
HGV Carlsbad Seapointe
Gaslamp Plaza Suites
SVV Bella
Great points. The swishing motion the taller "fin" on the left makes seems more like a shark's tail than a ray's fin. But who knows? The video is so short, it's hard to really tell. The thing she has in her hand seems more telling than anything. If that was a squid, aka fish bait, then it might have easily been a shark. Glad she wasn't hurt, but it also shows how larger sealife can be easily hidden in such shallow water.

Dave

I spent a good portion of my young life surfing in north San Diego. The closest encounter I ever had was a dolphin popping up next to me but you can bet I squeezed pretty hard when I first saw that fin! I never have any doubts when I’m in the water that those scary creatures are all around me. I am comforted by the fact that I’m not food.

DaveNV

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
I spent a good portion of my young life surfing in north San Diego. The closest encounter I ever had was a dolphin popping up next to me but you can bet I squeezed pretty hard when I first saw that fin! I never have any doubts when I’m in the water that those scary creatures are all around me. I am comforted by the fact that I’m not food.

I spent a lot of my younger years doing the same, including five teenage years in Hawaii. I remember being "circled" by a shark off Waikiki one time while I was snorkeling. The shark wasn't threatening, just curious, I think. It was about twenty feet away when I first noticed it. Didn't matter to me what it had in mind - I swam toward shore, about as fast as my fins would take me, and the shark decided I wasn't interesting enough to follow. Fine by me. :)

While living in San Diego for ten of my Navy years, I heard something I've never forgotten: "If you've been swimming in the waters off Southern California beaches and have never seen a shark, you can rest assured at least one has seen you." Ackk!! :D

Dave

buzglyd

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGV Lagoon Tower
HGV Carlsbad Seapointe
Gaslamp Plaza Suites
SVV Bella
I spent a lot of my younger years doing the same, including five teenage years in Hawaii. I remember being "circled" by a shark off Waikiki one time while I was snorkeling. The shark wasn't threatening, just curious, I think. It was about twenty feet away when I first noticed it. Didn't matter to me what it had in mind - I swam toward shore, about as fast as my fins would take me, and the shark decided I wasn't interesting enough to follow. Fine by me. :)

While living in San Diego for ten of my Navy years, I heard something I've never forgotten: "If you've been swimming in the waters off Southern California beaches and have never seen a shark, you can rest assured at least one has seen you." Ackk!! :D

Dave

You got that right brother.