• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Wouldn't it be neat if that unwanted timeshare went away--and they paid you for it?

Larry M

TUG Member
Reaction score
Wouldn't it be neat if that unwanted timeshare went away--and they paid you for it?

When I first joined TUG, years ago, I asked about getting rid of a timeshare I had inherited. No one in the family had ever used it. It was out in the middle of nowhere and had no attractions nearby. The association had offered to take the (January in Arkansas) unit back if I paid $150 in lawyer fees. I naively asked whether that was a good deal and was deluged with "Pay quick before the offer goes away!" responses.

This one may top that. I bought a timeshare in 2010 and used it for 4-5 years. Then we got a summer place (trailer and cabin) and preferred vacationing there. I've been letting my son and his family use the timeshare since then. The sunset clause is effective on the first Sunday in 2026, and I've been resigned to just paying maintenance fees until then. But then I received communications from the board.

The first one acknowledged that MFs had continued to rise, in part to damage caused by hurricanes Matthew and Florence, and in part because the prior board had never bothered to act on delinquent accounts, either by collections or foreclosure and most of the money was no longer recoverable. As a result, there's been a lot of deferred maintenance. That communication included a survey on members' opinions regarding early liquidation and payout. "Most owners" desire to terminate the timeshare agreement...and to sell our property with profits distributed among owners.

The entire communication is attached. We are asked to vote on two questions:
  1. Consent to early termination of the Egrets Resort Timeshare plan pursuant to South Carolina law
  2. Consent that the Board of Directors are affirmatively empowered to administer and effectuate the sale and/or restructuring of units in such manner as they shall reasonably determine pursuant to South Carolina statute Section 27-32-500, et seq., exclusively in their fiduciary role and duty as Trustees and in the best interest of all owners and without the need for any further owner vote or action to order or approve any such sale or restructuring, including creating a new timeshare or similar plan related to the occupancy and use of some of the units for the benefit of owners who desire such use rights.
The first question merely changes the sunset date. The board still must go through all the procedures outlined in the deed to get member consent and votes to liquidate or continue. Just contacting all the members will be onerous.

The second question has a simpler procedure but could be tricky if the majority of owners of any particular unit vote NO, requiring the board or an owner in that unit to file a complaint to effectuate a sale.

So while it seems messy, it looks like I am getting out of the timeshare earlier than I thought, AND I am getting paid for it at no cost to me. Since I only paid $1500 for it, there's a chance that I could even make money on it.

Attachments

• 194412-compressed.pdf
    580.6 KB · Views: 75

wackymother

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
We had this happen. I bought a timeshare on eBay for $1000. We liked it, but the reviews on the place went down and down. Eventually the board of directors at the timeshare passed a decision to sell off individual units as condos. They started doing that, so you might stay in a unit and the unit next door might be occupied by the full-time owners.

We were starting to think about trying to give the timeshare back, but I figured eventually they might use the money from the sales to fix the place up, and the reviews would improve, and etc. etc.

Before that could happen, though, the manager called and said they were going to sell our unit. So she offered me a choice: move us to a different unit, same week, or pay us $1500 for our week. I accepted the $1500 so fast her head probably spun.

So I am one of the very, very few people in this world who has actually made a profit on a timeshare! :D

daverunfast

TUG Member
Reaction score
Glad to see it, there are plenty of HOA controlled properties that would be better suited by a board looking to maximize value in this manner. An effective owner value maximizing rental program would be another way to get at that equity.

Let us know how it proceeds.

Larry M

TUG Member
Reaction score
Glad to see it, there are plenty of HOA controlled properties that would be better suited by a board looking to maximize value in this manner. An effective owner value maximizing rental program would be another way to get at that equity.

Let us know how it proceeds.
Well, since you asked, the attached PDF arrived today. Since the original deed specified an expiration of first Sunday in January of 2026, I was expecting the expiration to be first Sunday of 2022, but the actual new date is an unspecified date in 2021. Owners have an option to make an offer for a condominium.

Attachments

• Egrets_Sunset_Letter.pdf
    492.1 KB · Views: 91

daverunfast

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks for sharing. You might get some cash. If they're worth 300k a piece you should be looking at between 5k and 9k per contract depending on how the delinquents are handled.

Good work by the board, hope the sales go smoothly

Larry M

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks for sharing. You might get some cash. If they're worth 300k a piece you should be looking at between 5k and 9k per contract depending on how the delinquents are handled.

Good work by the board, hope the sales go smoothly
Given your estimate, I will be nicely ahead since I paid $1500 for it. It would certainly cover the hurricane assessments, too.

Joycesen

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Jockey Las Vegas
Well, since you asked, the attached PDF arrived today. Since the original deed specified an expiration of first Sunday in January of 2026, I was expecting the expiration to be first Sunday of 2022, but the actual new date is an unspecified date in 2021. Owners have an option to make an offer for a condominium.
I can now download it

Joycesen

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Jockey Las Vegas
I have not been able to download it. Do you get it mailed ?

Larry M

TUG Member
Reaction score
I have not been able to download it. Do you get it mailed ?
It downloaded fine for me--and no one else has complained--but I have converted it to a JPG image, just for you. Let me know if you still cannot open it.

Attachments

• Egrets_Sunset_Letter.jpg
    Egrets_Sunset_Letter.jpg
    58.6 KB · Views: 83

dandjane1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Ocean Walk (Platinum UDI) Wyndham Access (Platinum trust), Wyndham National Harbor (Platinum UDI), HGVC Deed at Kingsland, HI, HGV Max (Premiere Plus) Trust
We are (relatively) frequent users of the Wyndham at Edisto Beach, and it's precisely that there are no big attractions nearby, why we love it! The main attraction every evening is watching the sunset. During horseshoe crab reproduction season, the spectacle of seagulls gorging on the crab eggs floating at the shoreline is a sight to behold.There are many plantations that can be visited at less than an hour's drive away, and Charleston isn't far either. There are many good seafood restaurants locally, and only a few miles away is an interesting little local museum. There are several excellent state parks in the area, one with a great interactive museum.
While all this may not fill the bill for a family with teenagers, Edisto might just need a second look - a little deeper. This of course has nothing to do with Egret Pointe's problems.

Larry M

TUG Member
Reaction score
Absolutely a wonderful place. After I was widowed I took several girlfriends there on at different times. The only real drawback is that some years in week 33, the mosquitoes would eat you alive, especially after dark. We used to take a bottle of wine to the point and watch the sunset, and the dolphins returning upriver, but even that could be spoiled in a bad year.

Week 33 was the perfect time to own. The South Carolina schools are already back in session, so the area isn't crowded. It's a time when the pools, the beaches, the restaurants, the hot tub, and even the mini-golf course are nearly empty.

If you really love Edisto, consider buying a condo when they go on sale.

Larry M

TUG Member
Reaction score
Does Wyndham plan to sell the timeshares on Edisto Beach?
Not that I know of. Ocean Ridge was originally developed by Fairfield, which Wyndham acquired. For some reason (lack of capital?), when the property was first developed, the Egret's Pointe Townhomes buildings on the Ocean Ridge premises were built/owned by an independent association. That is the operation that is shutting down.

Owners had access to Fairfield/Wyndham facilities (entrance, parking, pools and hot tub, bike rental, social activities, loan of board games and DVDs, beach area, etc,) but not the Wi-Fi (go figure!). Owners had to enter the Wyndham Guest Reception facility to get a parking pass, but it was an opportunity to get restaurant and activity coupons. Once they figured out that you were an Egret's Pointe owner, they didn't hassle you to attend an "owner update."

Larry M

TUG Member
Reaction score
Woo-Hoo!

I paid $1500 ($1000 for the unit, the rest was closing costs and fees) for it. Really enjoyed it for the years I used it. My son and his family enjoyed it for the years they used. Now it's going away--but I received this progress report via email today.

Dear Owners, October 12, 2021

As you know Egrets Pointe Townhouses is going through the transition from Timeshare Ownership to individually owned townhouses. The termination agreement was voted on by owners on June 12, 2021.

There has been a lot of work being done behind the scenes to prepare for the transition and we are excited to announce that we have had our first 2 closings. Unit 495 closed on 9/30 for $367,000 and unit 478 closed on 10/7 for $378,000. The units are listed with a local broker Marie Bost, who has 3 additional units (488, 490, 491) currently under contract, with closings scheduled over the next 45 days. When your unit closes, you will receive a letter informing you of the sale, along with a check for your distribution of the sales proceeds. Going forward, updates will be posted on Egretspointe.com under the owner’s section.

We are diligently working to address maintenance issues and prepare the units for sale.
Even if you count ten years of maintenance fees ranging from $800-$1200 and the $200 assessment for Hurricane damage, it looks like I will come out just fine if my unit, 483, comes close to these two.

T_R_Oglodyte

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
For awhile, between 2000 and about 2005, I flipped several timeshares for profit. Not big money, but netting $1000 on each transaction.

dioxide45

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
Woo-Hoo!

I paid $1500 ($1000 for the unit, the rest was closing costs and fees) for it. Really enjoyed it for the years I used it. My son and his family enjoyed it for the years they used. Now it's going away--but I received this progress report via email today.

Even if you count ten years of maintenance fees ranging from $800-$1200 and the $200 assessment for Hurricane damage, it looks like I will come out just fine if my unit, 483, comes close to these two.
Any idea what your distribution amount would be from the ~$350K? There would be closing costs and other legal costs, so I suspect it isn't just $350K divided by 52?

Larry M

TUG Member
Reaction score
Now that you mention it, they are refurbishing all the units before selling them so they will deduct for that as well as the closing costs. But remember, the HOA board is managing this, not a management company, so it shouldn't be padded. The broker is a local broker. Hopefully the HOA negotiated terms with her.

DRIless

Reaction score
I happen to know the Principal in the Egrets Pointe scenario and they are actively pursuing resorts in areas where the laws are favorable to executing these sunset deals. The HOAs are actively involved in making these things happen with the help of the outside company.

pedro47

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Not that I know of. Ocean Ridge was originally developed by Fairfield, which Wyndham acquired. For some reason (lack of capital?), when the property was first developed, the Egret's Pointe Townhomes buildings on the Ocean Ridge premises were built/owned by an independent association. That is the operation that is shutting down.

Owners had access to Fairfield/Wyndham facilities (entrance, parking, pools and hot tub, bike rental, social activities, loan of board games and DVDs, beach area, etc,) but not the Wi-Fi (go figure!). Owners had to enter the Wyndham Guest Reception facility to get a parking pass, but it was an opportunity to get restaurant and activity coupons. Once they figured out that you were an Egret's Pointe owner, they didn't hassle you to attend an "owner update."
My son visited this resort this year and he loved the resort. It was quiet and he, enjoyed the area because of the ocean fishing.

shorep

Reaction score
When a unit is 'sold' back the TS company is it ok to bamboozle the TS company with wild claims about the financial benefits that will accrue from the transaction.???????? Do you have to make a 'presentation'&buy them breakfast??

Larry M

TUG Member
Reaction score
When a unit is 'sold' back the TS company is it ok to bamboozle the TS company with wild claims about the financial benefits that will accrue from the transaction.???????? Do you have to make a 'presentation'&buy them breakfast??
Well, it's actually the HOA, but I'm sure they wouldn't mind. :)

T_R_Oglodyte

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
For awhile, between 2000 and about 2005, I flipped several timeshares for profit. Not big money, but netting $1000 on each transaction.
It's a lot harder to do that now. Prior to the financial crash in 2008, the resale market for timeshares was much more robust. Properties that now have nominal value sold for a reasonable amount of money. A couple of examples, from my experience. A platinum level membership in Raintree was worth between $5000 and $10,000. A deeded ocean front or floating view week at the Point at Poipu was worth between $8000 and $15,000. Club Regina weeks in Mexico, 1-bedroom peak season, 2026 expiry, were $500 t0 $3000.

Those are actual sales values, with the bands reflecting the illiquidity of the market. If you knew the market, and you knew where and how to find motivated sellers and how to find interested buyers who weren't scouring the bottom of the market, you could buy at the bottom end at sell at the top end, though.

At those prices you could make a bit of money. Looking back at my records, $1000 was the minimum I made. I made almost $3000 on a Whistler Whiski Jack ski week, but that was a bit lucky because I stumbled across a buyer who wanted that week at that property.

For the amount of work involved, it didn't make sense to push hard into this. I would do something when I came across a good opportunity, usually as I was researching whether I wanted to buy a particular locations. And with the collapse of the market and non-recovery of the market in 2008, any spread that is available is too small to consider.