• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

    Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

    Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

    Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

    Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

    Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars
  • Sign up to get the TUG Newsletter for free!

    60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

    All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Would you risk putting points ito a holding account?

cwtkm3

TUG Member
Joined
Aug 21, 2005
Messages
318
Reaction score
24
Location
Buckinghamshire UK
So looks like travel for us Brits to USA is going to be unlikely on 1st August. We've flights booked with Delta to Atlanta then Charleston. Supposed to be driving to Myrtle Beach where I have 12 ocean front nights booked at OceanWatch.
The assisted living home where we moved dad to last October is currently closed to visitors. Dad has Alzheimer's and I haven't seen him since last July when he was still living in his own home. It was soul destroying waving goodbye with the knowledge that this would be the final time seeing him there. House now sold and only memories of the many many years we visited.
I am all over the place regarding what to do with the points. 60 days before check-in is 3rd June.
Not keen on holding account as probably wouldn't be able to get OceanWatch accommodation July 2021 at 120 days before travel.
My sister (she lives in New Jersey) says people careless re-social distancing in the Stares and reckons not safe for us to come. South Carolina seems to have few cases. Still current quarantine to contend with. Dad keeps asking when we're coming but then forgets. He has zero concept of time.
Over here, UK, from 8th June all visitors have to quarantine 14 days in order to prevent 2nd wave of Covid. No-one knows how long for.
I've heard we may be banned from coming to USA for rest of the year?

What would you guys do?
 

pedro47

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Joined
Jun 6, 2005
Messages
22,425
Reaction score
8,784
Location
East Coast
Tuggers Can We Help Our Friend In The UK ?...Can she reach out to Mark at II for some advice or suggestions.?

I can feel the OP pain from across the pond.
 

Fasttr

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Joined
Jun 26, 2013
Messages
6,351
Reaction score
3,549
Location
Connecticut
Resorts Owned
Marriott's Grande Ocean (Enrolled)
MVC Trust Points
I don’t see travel from Europe opening up by early August. I would cancel the ressie so the points stay out of the holding account.
 

Rodenwjr

Guest
Joined
Jul 4, 2011
Messages
112
Reaction score
17
Location
Bay Area, CA
Cancel the reservation and get the points back especially if they can be rolled over to 2021. Even if you don't think you can use it in 2021, it will buy you some time to decide how to manage the points (rebook, rent etc).

We grappled with a similar situation this July. It was something that just hung over our heads about what to do. We didnt want to give everything up. Once we pulled the trigger, it was a weight lifted off our shoulders. The issue now is we're sad that we cancelled all of our vacations this summer...Hawaii, Lake Tahoe, and Newport Beach Ca.

Sent from my SM-T713 using Tapatalk
 

NJMOM2

TUG Member
Joined
Oct 21, 2008
Messages
604
Reaction score
55
Location
New Jersey
Resorts Owned
Abound Club Points
Marriott Harbour Lake
Marriott OceanWatch
I agree cancel the reservation and roll point over to 2021 to buy time.

We are suppose to be a Newport Beach right now! :(

We rescheduled to Marco Island for the end of August with our fingers crossed. We plan on driving from New Jersey to Florida but only if they remove the quarantine requirement for New Jersey residents. I had 2019 banked points and 2021 borrowed points holding the Marco Island reservation. I was able to shuffle some reservation around for Fairway Villas in September and October that were made with 2020 points to used the holding points from our canceling Lake Tahoe reservation. I was able to replace some of the 2021 borrowed points for Marco Island with this 2020 use year points. We now have 2019 banked points, 2020 current year points and a small number of 2021 borrowed points holding the reservation for Marco Island at the end of August. I am now okay with holding the reservation for as long as possible if we need to cancel it. The holding points will expire at he end of 2021 with 120 reservation window and some of the 2021 points have been freed up to be banked to 2022 if need be.

The 2019 banked were going to somehow end up in a holding account anyway and the 2020 points would have only been good until the end of next year if banked before end of June. We are only an hour and a half away from Fairway Villas and my daughter goes to a university located in the same town as the timeshare. I can easily use up the points in a holding account next year with a few extra weekend in Fairway Villas.

This whole "best use of points" things has been haunting be months and making me sad with the thought of having to cancel Marco Island outside of the the 60 reservation window. I am glad it's settled.
 

tiel

TUG Member
Joined
Jan 5, 2010
Messages
788
Reaction score
129
Location
FL
One option you would have is to cancel your MOW reservations now, but hold onto your flights as long as you reasonably can. Your points would go back into your account, but still be available. If conditions improve within 60 days, and you feel you can travel, you could try to rebook at MOW, but pay a reduced point rate. At the current time, the resorts are far below capacity, though there is no guarantee that will continue into the summer. But you get lucky. If you feel ultimately determine you cannot travel, you can just cancel your flights and bank your points.

We have taken this approach for a FL trip we had planned for July. Cancelling the resort reservations took a lot of the pressure off. We still have our flights, and will cancel if we need to, but right now we’re hoping to go. At this point, we can get reservations for the same time period at the same resort, but we are holding out a bit longer to see how things pan out.
 

tompk

TUG Member
Joined
Jul 1, 2005
Messages
215
Reaction score
3
Location
Madison,NC
I would probably cancel now as well. If you find later that you are able to come over you might have a better chance of booking into Hilton Head as there are 7 or 8 Marriott timeshares there, if that option helps. Hilton Head may be a more comfortable option as well, Myrtle Beach is a bit of a mob scene in mid-summer. We had several nights booked there for mid-July and after the pictures I saw of the crowds of people last weekend , mostly with no masks and not much distancing, we moved our reservation to Hilton Head.
 

cwtkm3

TUG Member
Joined
Aug 21, 2005
Messages
318
Reaction score
24
Location
Buckinghamshire UK
Update

First of all thank you all for your advice about my dilemma.
I cancelled the reservation and hope to re-book for next July.
Today I used my lock-off studio Playa Andaluza to exchange into OceanWatch on 19th December 2020 for one week.
Flights are cheap from London to Newark but silly prices EWR to MYR (roughly same as LHR - EWR leg!) with a stop over in Charlotte.
Of course there's no way I'm booking flights this far out as may not be able to go but I'm determined to see my dad this year. It means giving up family Christmas here and staying at MOW by myself but have done this before and it was fine.

So question re- Interval E-plus which I purchased. It now has an expiry date of 31st December 2021. Can you extend the E-plus expiry date if not used? First time purchasing this so any advice appreciated.
 
Top