• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Would you pay $59 a year for overhead bin space? Delta is betting the answer is yes

RNCollins

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Tradewinds, Divi, Quarter House, Casa Ybel
Would you pay $59 a year for overhead bin space? Delta is betting the answer is yes
https://www.usatoday.com/story/trav...ption-buys-you-overhead-bin-space/4006629002/

By Jayme Deerwester / USA TODAY / usatoday.com / October 17, 2019

“Would you be willing to pay to have a better shot at overhead bin space? Delta Air Lines is offering that as a perk in a new subscription service to SkyMiles customers.

"Board sooner and find the perfect overhead bin space," reads a promotion for Delta's $59 annual SkyMiles Select plan, which buys you Main Cabin 1 boarding status.

While you would be among the first main cabin customers to board, Main Cabin 1 is currently the sixth group to enter the plane after pre-boarders, DeltaOne and Diamond Medallion members, first-class and Premium Select and then Delta Comfort+ passengers. Come Jan. 23, Main Cabin 1 passengers will be fifth in line....”

D5B9F01B-A86E-4B73-B32A-78F6BE6CCBA5.jpeg

Photo by Surachet Jo / shutterstock.com

bnoble

TUG Member
Reaction score
I have to believe this is pretty limited. For an extra $40 (a little less, actually) you get that plus first checked bag free for everyone on your PNR for a year via the Delta AmEx gold. If you check a bag on even one round trip per year, the card is a better deal.

dougp26364

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grand Chateau
Marriott Shadow Ridge
Marriott Ocean Pointe
Marriott Destination Club Points
Hilton Grand Vacation Club Las Vegas Blvd
Grand Colorado on Peak 8
Spinnaker French Quarter Resort Branson
Airlines have learned to bank on people believing the #1 really means #1, even though it doesn’t. As they’ve made changes to charges, fees and boarding practices, we’ve changed how we pack for a trip. I have CC’s for the airlines we fly the most for the free checked bag plus miles earning potential and we have various sizes/styles of bags. We never spend a lot on luggage as we’re accustomed to the airlines marking it up or breaking it regardless of the quality.

lately we’re using packing cubes to maximize space and using a midsize to full size suitcase, depending on the length of trip, number of travelers in our party and/or size of the rental cars trunk. With the packing cubes I can easily pack 3 to 4 days of clothing plus toiletries bag. We have carry on bags that fit under the seat in front of us, over the shoulder bags that can carry electronics and full size hard sided carry on cases that we can gate check (for free!) without worry depending on the length of trip and what expensive electronics or cameras we want to take. We even have fishing vests we can wear that will hold all our smaller electronics if need be, but we haven’t used those in several years.

so the airlines can can board us as group 1, which is really group 5 or 6, and I don’t care. Whatever the situation, we’ll be prepared.

andysnovel

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Sheraton Flex, Vistana Bella Section, BlueGreen Charleston,SC
https://www.usatoday.com/story/trav...ption-buys-you-overhead-bin-space/4006629002/

By Jayme Deerwester / USA TODAY / usatoday.com / October 17, 2019

“Would you be willing to pay to have a better shot at overhead bin space? Delta Air Lines is offering that as a perk in a new subscription service to SkyMiles customers.

"Board sooner and find the perfect overhead bin space," reads a promotion for Delta's $59 annual SkyMiles Select plan, which buys you Main Cabin 1 boarding status.

While you would be among the first main cabin customers to board, Main Cabin 1 is currently the sixth group to enter the plane after pre-boarders, DeltaOne and Diamond Medallion members, first-class and Premium Select and then Delta Comfort+ passengers. Come Jan. 23, Main Cabin 1 passengers will be fifth in line....”

View attachment 14684
Photo by Surachet Jo / shutterstock.com
Let's face it, flying is not an enjoyable experience anymore, most airlines are flying full capacity all the time and most folks don't want the hassle of checking in their bags and bring a carry on with them, planes were not designed for everyone to have a carry on stowed with the planes crammed full of passengers. So we have no choice to adapt to these circumstances and figure out a way to make things workable. I have the Delta AE Plat. Card which gives me early boarding main cabin one, free overhead and checked in bags, assigned seating, one free roundtrip companion fare each year, earn extra delta miles etc. If it is a long flight and I want extra room, I treat myself and my wife to Delta Extra Comfort Seats, more leg room and earlier boarding and protected overhead space and free drinks. When I fly Southwest, I always purchase early bird seating, which usually gets me in the A group seating and over head space for my carry ons, free overhead and checked in bags, the downside is their whacky free for all unassigned seating system. I do have their preferred visa card which has some nice perks, $70 annual credit, 4 free upgrades a year to group A!-A15, extra miles etc.
This 59 a year offer is not a good deal, better off get an A/E Delta card with all the perks.

AJCts411

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hyatt Sunset x 2
Greedy & ridiculous. Just when you thought the airlines couldn't possibly come up with anything more to suck up your money...here it goes. Delta is slowly converting to the Spirit world. New flash...I buy a ticket which includes a carry on. I board the airplane with said carry on. Now if DELTA did THIER job, kick off those over-sized bags etc...I have space.

Luanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
San Diego Country Estates
I never use the overhead bins. My backpack fits perfectly under the seat.
I'm with you. I like having all of my "stuff" available to me easily. However I am finding lately that in some seats the under the seat is small and my backpack isn't fitting all that well. I can usually manage to shove it in, but there doesn't seem to be as much space as before (and no I don't think I'm taking any more in my backpack than I used to). It might be the configuration of the plane.

rickandcindy23

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Founder; Disney OKW & SSR; Marriott's Willow Ridge and Shadow Ridge,Grand Chateau; Val Chatelle; Hono Koa OF (3); SBR(LOTS), SDO a few; Grand Palms(selling); WKORV-OF ,Westin Desert Willow.
I cannot get my bag into the overhead bin. When I traveled by myself, it was a giant purse under the seat in front of me.

jehb2

TUG Member
Reaction score
My sister lives 1.5 hours away from me. (In Texas we consider that really close). When she visits me for the weekend she brings a 22inch, a 25inch, and a large backpack. When she went to Europe with us, I told her she could only take a 22 inch carry-on and one personal item. She managed to travel for three weeks with a pacsafe 20 inch suitcase and a small pacsafe camera bag that also doubled as her purse and day bag.

She was so happy she traveled light. Her flight from NYC to Italy was delayed by a day she had to get from Milan to Pisa by train by herself. It was crazy journey and she was so glad that she was able to manage her bags by herself.

jehb2

TUG Member
Reaction score
However I am finding lately that in some seats the under the seat is small and my backpack isn't fitting all that well. I can usually manage to shove it in, but there doesn't seem to be as much space as before (and no I don't think I'm taking any more in my backpack than I used to). It might be the configuration of the plane.

On AA the under the seat space is definitely smaller. I have this awesome REI under the seat bag that I got maybe 4 years ago. It use to fit under all economy seats. Now it only fits under the middle or window (I forget which one). It’s a structured bag so I can’t overstuff it.

Luanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
San Diego Country Estates
On AA the under the seat space is definitely smaller. I have this awesome REI under the seat bag that I got maybe 4 years ago. It use to fit under all economy seats. Now it only fits under the middle or window (I forget which one). It’s a structured bag so I can’t overstuff it.
I was finding the issue on some recent Jet Blue flights we took when we were seated in the exit row.