• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Would like real opinions - Just purchase HRC portfolio with 660 points

Kal

TUG Member
Reaction score
Take a look at the Hyatt points chart. I printed it and highlighted the points and seasons I would need to visit the resorts I would be most interested in, to get an idea of how many HRC points I would like to have. I settled on wanting/needing a diamond week/2200 points. I’m actively lobbying for another week or 2 but my wife thinks I’m crazy, haha.

A few points to consider:
  1. Every week at HRC Maui is a diamond week, so you need 2200 points to visit there, which means you need a diamond week or combined points from 2 lesser weeks if you ever hope to visit HRC Maui.
  2. If you plan to buy and combine weeks for such a purpose, be sure your weeks are close in time so they accrue close in time, so you can accomplish the goal of combining them. You don’t want 1440 week 15 points to accrue in April and then have 1440 silver week 42 points to accrue in October, or you will never be able to accomplish your goal, or at least reliably.
  3. If you are interested in Carmel, note that the units at Carmel require more points than other HRC resorts because the 2BRs are “premiere” and the 1BRs are “deluxe.” Basically this means that the points you will pay for a 1BR in Carmel is equal to what you would pay for a 2BR at the other HRC resorts.
  4. As Sapper mentioned, the cheapest maintenance fees (and hence your lowest ongoing cots) are at Pinon Pointe, Wild Oak, and Beach House. Hence, a higher initial purchase cost, especially at Pinon Pointe.
  5. Study these FAQs prepared by user KAL for explanation of how your points can be used.
  6. Search for posts by user ScoopKona to see how he regularly leverages his 1800 HRC points to get 3 weeks of nice vacations through Interval International each year.
The more I learned about HRC, the more I realized that this was the system that best suited my wife’s and my needs.
Amazing grasp of the system. It was not long ago you were trying to spell Hyatt :)

SteveinHNL

TUG Member
Reaction score
I think the Hyatt forum is the best of all the “system” forums on TUG. The help, time, and teaching I have gotten primarily from you, ScoopKona, and alameda94501 have been remarkable.

dsmrp

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Sheraton Vistana, Waikoloa Bay Club, Hyatt Pinon Pt
Take a look at the Hyatt points chart. I printed it and highlighted the points and seasons I would need to visit the resorts I would be most interested in, to get an idea of how many HRC points I would like to have. I settled on wanting/needing a diamond week/2200 points. I’m actively lobbying for another week or 2 but my wife thinks I’m crazy, haha.

A few points to consider:
  1. Every week at HRC Maui is a diamond week, so you need 2200 points to visit there, which means you need a diamond week or combined points from 2 lesser weeks if you ever hope to visit HRC Maui.
  2. If you plan to buy and combine weeks for such a purpose, be sure your weeks are close in time so they accrue close in time, so you can accomplish the goal of combining them. You don’t want 1440 week 15 points to accrue in April and then have 1440 silver week 42 points to accrue in October, or you will never be able to accomplish your goal, or at least reliably.
  3. If you are interested in Carmel, note that the units at Carmel require more points than other HRC resorts because the 2BRs are “premiere” and the 1BRs are “deluxe.” Basically this means that the points you will pay for a 1BR in Carmel is equal to what you would pay for a 2BR at the other HRC resorts.
  4. As Sapper mentioned, the cheapest maintenance fees (and hence your lowest ongoing cost) are at Pinon Pointe, Wild Oak, and Beach House. Hence, a higher initial purchase cost, especially at Pinon Pointe.
  5. Study these FAQs prepared by user KAL for explanation of how your points can be used.
  6. Search for posts by user ScoopKona to see how he regularly leverages his 1800 HRC points to get 3 weeks of nice vacations through Interval International each year.
The more I learned about HRC, the more I realized that this was the system that best suited my wife’s and my needs.
If we didn't already have 3 TS before getting our Hyatt (Pinon) unit, I'd be lobbying my husband to get another week. But that's only after using it for a few years. Depending upon what Marriott announces their plans are for HRC/Hyatt, perhaps there will be some exodus from ownership, and Marriott might relax their ROFR. The transition period from HRC operations to Marriott was great for resale prices getting thru ROFR.
Don't think that'll happen again tho' to that extent. Buy where you want to go.

re #3, Highlands Inn-Carmel receives more points, but they also have high maintenance fees.

SteveinHNL

TUG Member
Reaction score
If we didn't already have 3 TS before getting our Hyatt (Pinon) unit, I'd be lobbying my husband to get another week. But that's only after using it for a few years. Depending upon what Marriott announces their plans are for HRC/Hyatt, perhaps there will be some exodus from ownership, and Marriott might relax their ROFR. The transition period from HRC operations to Marriott was great for resale prices getting thru ROFR.
Don't think that'll happen again tho' to that extent. Buy where you want to go.

re #3, Highlands Inn-Carmel receives more points, but they also have high maintenance fees.
Yes the MFs at Carmel are high but could get you to a sweet spot if you want 2900 or so HRC points without taking on 2 MFs. I’ve thought about it but the 2BRs at Carmel are more than I want to spend up front.

ChicagoDave

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hyatt Pinion Pointe x2
Hyatt Highlands Inn
Renaissance Aruba
Westin Lagunamar
Thank you for everyone’s advice. I emailed a cancellation letter to HRC and also mailed them a paper copy with tracking via UPS (I don’t trust the USPS with anything important). My wife and I are still interested in buying a Hyatt timeshare and are interested in your advice on secondary market resale options that would make sense for us.

We live in the Chicago area and enjoy travelling to different warm weather/beach resorts usually in AZ, FL, CA, Mexico, the Caribbean (Aruba, Grand Cayman) and Hawaii. Travel is a mix of both summer and winter/spring seasons. My wife and I are both self employed with flexibility in when we can travel and we usually travel 2.5 - 3 weeks a year. It’s usually just the two of us, so a studio or 1 bedroom is fine. We seldom stay anywhere longer than 5-7 days and usually stay at Hilton and Marriott resorts. The Hyatt properties are lovely, which is what attracted us to them. My intent is to purchase 1-2 timeshare properties where we can either stay or use them to trade for weeks at other locations via Hyatt or an exchange program.

Based on the forum comments, it sounds like I should look for either a Diamond or Platinum week to purchase for the most flexibility and exchange value. Some questions I have are:

1. Should we buy a fixed or floating week? Is one better than the other for trade value if we put it into an exchange program? Does the fact they float with flexibility make them preferable for the owner or exchange user or are fixed weeks more desirable for exchanges?

2. If we buy a floating week, how difficult is it to reserve decent dates at our home property or some of the more popular places (AZ, HI, FL, Mexico, Caribbean) in the winter/spring?

3. Is a deeded property better than an RTU property assuming the RTU lasts far beyond my expected life span? I know a deeded property can be passed down, but any other concerns with an RTU that make them less desirable if buying resale?

4. Do all resales come with annual points? Also, some resale listings include sizable accrued points with the property - any issues with me using these points? Is it worth paying a higher purchase price to acquire the points or are they of limited value?

5. Even though we only need a studio/1 bedroom, would you recommend us buying a 2 bedroom/bath unit for purposes of exchange value or does it not matter?

6. Even if the property looks nice, are any of the “less than $500“ or free units listed for sale really worth it even if the MF is reasonable?

7. As an alternative to Hyatt, are Marriott resales a good option for us as there seem to be more of those available and a larger network?

We aren’t looking at a timeshare as an investment, so if it increases in value down road, that’s a bonus. Our main purpose is for less expensive vacation/travel use than a hotel stay or trying to find a timeshare rental. Thank you again for everyone’s help!

Sapper

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
Thank you for everyone’s advice. I emailed a cancellation letter to HRC and also mailed them a paper copy with tracking via UPS (I don’t trust the USPS with anything important). My wife and I are still interested in buying a Hyatt timeshare and are interested in your advice on secondary market resale options that would make sense for us.

We live in the Chicago area and enjoy travelling to different warm weather/beach resorts usually in AZ, FL, CA, Mexico, the Caribbean (Aruba, Grand Cayman) and Hawaii. Travel is a mix of both summer and winter/spring seasons. My wife and I are both self employed with flexibility in when we can travel and we usually travel 2.5 - 3 weeks a year. It’s usually just the two of us, so a studio or 1 bedroom is fine. We seldom stay anywhere longer than 5-7 days and usually stay at Hilton and Marriott resorts. The Hyatt properties are lovely, which is what attracted us to them. My intent is to purchase 1-2 timeshare properties where we can either stay or use them to trade for weeks at other locations via Hyatt or an exchange program.

Based on the forum comments, it sounds like I should look for either a Diamond or Platinum week to purchase for the most flexibility and exchange value. Some questions I have are:

1. Should we buy a fixed or floating week? Is one better than the other for trade value if we put it into an exchange program? Does the fact they float with flexibility make them preferable for the owner or exchange user or are fixed weeks more desirable for exchanges?

2. If we buy a floating week, how difficult is it to reserve decent dates at our home property or some of the more popular places (AZ, HI, FL, Mexico, Caribbean) in the winter/spring?

3. Is a deeded property better than an RTU property assuming the RTU lasts far beyond my expected life span? I know a deeded property can be passed down, but any other concerns with an RTU that make them less desirable if buying resale?

4. Do all resales come with annual points? Also, some resale listings include sizable accrued points with the property - any issues with me using these points? Is it worth paying a higher purchase price to acquire the points or are they of limited value?

5. Even though we only need a studio/1 bedroom, would you recommend us buying a 2 bedroom/bath unit for purposes of exchange value or does it not matter?

6. Even if the property looks nice, are any of the “less than $500“ or free units listed for sale really worth it even if the MF is reasonable?

7. As an alternative to Hyatt, are Marriott resales a good option for us as there seem to be more of those available and a larger network?

We aren’t looking at a timeshare as an investment, so if it increases in value down road, that’s a bonus. Our main purpose is for less expensive vacation/travel use than a hotel stay or trying to find a timeshare rental. Thank you again for everyone’s help!
Some answers:
1. The only property I know that has float week units is Hawaii, all others are fixed or fixed week with additional time (the units sold as fractional). I have zero experience with how a float week trades.
2. Again, zero experience with using a float week unit to reserve a week at the home property (Hawaii). Hopefully someone else who has experience can chime in. Regarding converting it to points to use to book elsewhere in Hyatt, it should be like any other property using points… if the unit you want is available and you have the points for it, you should be able to book it.
3. No real difference, and the earliest RTU expiration is something like 2070.
4. Yes, they come with points. Points cannot be banked (though II points can be to a limited extent). Any Hyatt points existing Need to be used in the units use year (or six months after as LCUP).
5. Two bed units have more points than a one bed unit. You could buy a two bed Diamond unit and get enough points to book two weeks in a lower season one bed unit.
6. It depends. You might see a free low season unit with high maintenance fees, it may or may not be worth it for you. You might run the numbers and see that a lower main fee unit that has a higher initial buy in cost will be better after a few years of use.
7. I cannot answer that for you. Hyatt worked better for my family / use case, so we bought a couple of the Hyatts.

Sicnarf

TUG Member
Reaction score

I own Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott, Sheraton and Westin. I own since 2004 and bought from the developer and resale. Few of my units were gifted to me by other owners. Below is my insights to your questions:
7. Marriott resale is a good option if you want II exchange priority with other Marriott properties. But Marriott maintenance fee is much higher than Hyatt and you can only exchange by weeks. Hyatt internal exchange is much more flexible. Hyatt II exchange also cost less points.
6. Yes, I have gotten several gold season Sheraton units for free.
5. How many points you need, initial cost, and the annual cost per point are key factors in determining what you should buy.

stover33

TUG Member
Reaction score
Just an update for everyone. Got our refund already for cancellation of HRC points.
Glad to hear this! Smart decision.

Part that bothers me the most is that you said they told you each portfolio point was worth what you paid ($21 per point) at a Hyatt hotel. So that would mean 600 points would be worth $12.6k at Hyatt hotels each year, which obviously cannot be true. It goes to show a)get everything in writing and b)the salespeople can and do lie right to your face.

ScoopKona

Reaction score
Monkey King Coffee - Captain Cook, Hawaii
4. Yes, they come with points. Points cannot be banked (though II points can be to a limited extent). Any Hyatt points existing Need to be used in the units use year (or six months after as LCUP).

In general, I think it's better to assume LCUP doesn't exist. And if you miss your deadlines, you're stuck. The stars really need to align in order to grab any time with expired points -- it pretty-much has to be a last-minute, spur-of-the-moment trip in order to work.

The best bet is to stash any unused points in Interval (four months out) -- at least they have some use there. My next vacation is possible because of pandemic II points -- one week at a Hyatt and two in Interval using a gold week to trade.