• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Worldmark rooms avail on VRBO but not owners dashboard

Keith Nelson

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark Elite
Was thinking of a trip to Pinetop AZ in a couple weeks, and just checked for availability thru our owner dashboard. There were NO units of any kind avail for the days we considered. In fact, there was nothing for the couple days before or after.

Not easily giving up - decided to see what might be avail on VRBO. We really like the area of Pinetop that's by the Worldmark, so clicked a corresponding dot on the map. The Worldmark Pinetop popped up as avail ? I clicked book now, and it guided me all the way thru to where I would put in my credit card.

I haven't used the timeshare in a while - can someone tell me - is this how it works now? VRBO has rooms set aside that are not avail to owners?

Thanks for your thoughts.

presley

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
People will put their timeshares for rent on VRBO sometimes. Some timeshare owners buy excess points/timeshares with the intention to rent out for a profit.

geist1223

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark 97,000 Credits
DRI Cabo Azul 50,500
Royal Solaris San Jose del Cabo
Megarenters continue to be a problem with WMTC. However each time the WMTC BOD try things to restrict Megarenters it hurts the small Owners even more.

Keith Nelson

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark Elite
Ahhh, I understand what's going on. I don't like it, but I understand. I suppose these landlord style owners are using (abusing) the easy booking and cancellation system to maximize profit and minimize loss. I did notice a couple years ago that the bonus time rules changed, probably because of this. I don't know the rules incredibly well, but I wonder if they actually restricted bookings under non-owner names for dates less than 2 weeks out?
Probably trite to say, but when random people rent on VRBO or AirBNB, they must be more likely to not care for the property the way owners/family/friends would. Perhaps a fee imposed for bookings under a different last name? Not to make things more complicated, but the focus on the initial intent of timeshares - for owner families to take vacations with friends.

bizaro86

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Ahhh, I understand what's going on. I don't like it, but I understand. I suppose these landlord style owners are using (abusing) the easy booking and cancellation system to maximize profit and minimize loss. I did notice a couple years ago that the bonus time rules changed, probably because of this. I don't know the rules incredibly well, but I wonder if they actually restricted bookings under non-owner names for dates less than 2 weeks out?
Probably trite to say, but when random people rent on VRBO or AirBNB, they must be more likely to not care for the property the way owners/family/friends would. Perhaps a fee imposed for bookings under a different last name? Not to make things more complicated, but the focus on the initial intent of timeshares - for owner families to take vacations with friends.

They do restrict bonus time usage booked at 14 days to the owner only. The system won't change the name to a guest.

Also, there is a guest fee already to change the name on the reservation. Its $99 each time after a nominal amount of free ones - anyone who is doing lots of rentals on vrbo would use out their free ones quickly.