• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Worldmark or RCI for less than week stays?

Zac495

TUG Member
Reaction score
We're leaning towards buying something inexpensive that has many rci points. Our goal (we already own Marriott and are cool for our family week vacation) is to go away for 5 - 7 days during the summer - roaming Canada or California - probably just adults for now.

Question 1: How many points do we need for RCI and WM?
Question 2: Do you prefer RCI or WM for our needs?

Cheers,
Ellen

Jya-Ning

TUG Member
Reaction score
If you just roaming this once, how about find a WM owner and work with them to rent points from them, have them reserve and give you Guest Certification?

Anyway, WM is a club that owns resorts so as an owner of the club, you own a piece of resorts, RCI is just an exchange company. If there is a change you may go west a lot of time, them buy WM is not a bad idea, otherwise, you may better off purchase a unit that already in RCI points.

You can go to RCI side and look at their resort map to see where you may roam to, then figure out how many points you need. Or look at RCI region point map which give you how many points a fix week in each region can give you (it is in the sticky on this forum) to guess how many point you need. WM has their own website and have the point chart

Jya-Ning

Last edited:

Zac495

TUG Member
Reaction score
Seems I need a user name and password to get into RCI.

Yes , traveling on the west coast is where we will use most of the points. Seems cheaper to buy an RCI property, but the question is - will they have enough daily inventory vs. weekly inventory....
Cheers,
Ellen

myip

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Problem with RCI Points < 7 nights.

The major problem with RCI points travelling < 7 days. You have to pay the resort housekeeping fees. I have to pay $80 for < 7 nights at Carriage Hills. The fees are depended on the resort. When I added the housekeeping fees and RCI points, I should have rented a hotel. It is cheaper.... RCI has inventory if you booked 10 months out.

I know Worldmark also have housekeeping fees. There are also rules about booking < 7 days. It is hard to get inventory for < 7 days travel with Worldmark (peak time - summer and school holiday).

Last edited:

Jya-Ning

TUG Member
Reaction score
Zac495 said:
Seems I need a user name and password to get into RCI.

Yes , traveling on the west coast is where we will use most of the points. Seems cheaper to buy an RCI property, but the question is - will they have enough daily inventory vs. weekly inventory....
Cheers,
Ellen

You don't need user name and password to check the RCI point value. Just go to RCI, then select resort search tab, then search a resort, if it is point resort, it will have RCI Point resort shown, then when you click on the resort link, in the middle lower part, it will have RCI point value. Or you can click on the link I post, which should direct you to RCI's resort search page.

The question for point resort is when they start to put their extra inventories to RCI, if you know when, it has more availbility than RCI week (or II week in that sense). Each resort will be different though.

Jya-Ning

Zac495

TUG Member
Reaction score
Hmmmmm

Well, since we really want something for less than 7 days to use in Canada and we'd have to book far advance to get flights, WM is out.

And RCI - well, maybe a cheap one is worth a try. I found a resort for 2300 - trades for 47,000 pts. might be worth a try. What do you think???
THANKS

Beverley

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Ellen,

Before making the final decision 1. check out redseason.com. They sell Worldmark credits resale at very competitive prices and 2. know that although in "red" time of year WM requires a 7-day booking, these bookings can be at multiple resorts. For instance, Lee and I just took a trip traveling through California and South Oregon. We stayed 2 days at Running Y, 4 days at Bass Lake, and 2 days at Windsor. This more than met the 7 day in red season. Also, if you find a couple of days "hanging" out there and there isn't availability for a straight 7, you can then take a partial. I was able to book 3 days in Vegas for our daughter for the 21 - 23rd because the 20th and the 24th were not available.

We own WM and have found it terrific. We only own 6000 credits that renew every year (WM allows borrowing from the upcoming year) and only paid about $5400. It is equivalent to an every other year in a 2 bedroom. We are also East Coast, as you know, and it works well as we tend to go West every other year, at most.

Take care.:hi:

Beverley

Jya-Ning

TUG Member
Reaction score
Zac495 said:
And RCI - well, maybe a cheap one is worth a try. I found a resort for 2300 - trades for 47,000 pts. might be worth a try. What do you think???
THANKS

Not RCI point owner, but I believe this has anything to do with the MF. Look at the exchange rate to airline, Disney, rent car, the more exchange you will be favor, the better the deal.

Assume you only keep the TS for x year, then the total cost will be

Purchase Price - Sale Price + Opportunity Loss on the purchase money + MF.

If purchase price is assumed to be the same or close to the sale price, you will get only Opportunity Loss and MF loss.

You can put in the figure to see what make sense to you.

Jya-Ning