• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Woodstone and Regal Vista Points resales

tschwa2

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
A few in S and VA, a single resort in NC, MD, PA, and UT, plus Jamaica and the Bahamas
I am at Massanutten now and haven't done a tour in 5 years. I thought I would see what they are offering to convert. They kept insisting that points do not transfer upon resale. That I could not buy points and even if I paid to convert my weeks they would revert back to weeks when sold. I told them that I currently have a week 29 Regal Vistas in points. They insisted that after 2 years of resale ownership it would revert.

Has anyone resold a points week and was their anything in the estoppel to the new owner indicating that it would revert to a week?

The final offer which I left before hearing but they called me back with was a $5995 new week worth 44,000 points every other year but I pay $230 per year and they would convert my week 30 Regal Vistas (89,000 for $515 MF), Week 26 Woodstone Deluxe (130,000 for $825 MF) and week 27 Woodstone Luxury (137,000 for $855MF). I am supposed to go back and they are to have the contract ready in the morning. I obviously know how to rescind and while I may not have time to go over with the fine tooth comb before signing (don't want to waste any more time) it will be gone over in the next 3 days.

escanoe

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC: Flamingo & Anderson Ocean Club
Vacation Village: Woodstone at Massanutten and Grandview (RCI Points) & the Colonies
You have me scared now. I bought a week 29 Woodstone Luxury 4BR w/ 137,000 annual points last November on the resale market. I was under the impression that the points were as close to permanent as things are with timeshares.

It did concern me when I read the estoppel and there was a standard line related to the RCI points account that is labeled “expiration date” and listed 8/31/22. This estoppel was dated a couple of months before I agreed to purchase. After talking to the closing agent and doing some Internet research, I became convinced that was just the current expiration date for the RCI account of the seller.

There is nothing in the estoppel or the RCI Points Account transfer agreement I signed that made me think the points ownership would only transfer for two years. I am traveling now, but will look at my deed when I get back home.

When I log onto my RCI points account, it does list my “membership term expiration date” (not to be confused with “member expiration date”) as 11/30/2021. When I look at the part of the account where I would renew my membership it says “Your subscribing membership is eligible to be renewed, but your membership term must be extended first. Please contact an RCI Vacation Guide at 1.877.968.7476 to extend your membership term.”

It is going to stink if Massanuuten/Vacation Village will not let me extend my term without some ridiculous fee. I sure hope this is just the case of a sales agent’s lips moving.

TUG member @Eric B told me in a previous thread he owns the same type Woodstone points contract as I have. Maybe he bought it resale and may be able to shed some light on this.

Last edited:

tschwa2

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
A few in S and VA, a single resort in NC, MD, PA, and UT, plus Jamaica and the Bahamas
I spoke to the closing department today and they were adamant that RCI told them that the points would not transfer upon resale beyond the current points term (generally automatically renewed every 3 years). The person who told me this knew that I would be less likely to pay the $5995 that they were asking to convert (multiple units) if this were the case so I believe that she believes it to be the case. I am still not convinced that it is the case but do not know for sure. I also believe that Massanutten paid RCI a lot to get the points deal (the high number of points per unit especially in the summer) that they received - more than the typical $199 or $299 per deed.
What I still wonder is if the conversions revert back but not the straight pre converted deeds or if nothing reverts back. There is no indication that my Regal Vistas in points bought about a year ago is in danger of reverting to a deed.

escanoe

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Vacation Village: Woodstone at Massanutten and Grandview (RCI Points) & the Colonies
I paid a premium on the resale market for a Woodstone unit that was enrolled in RCI points (versus one not in RCI points). It is a fairly small resale market for Massanutten units enrolled in RCI points. I would think whatever the policy is on RCI points transferring on resale, it is likely a blanket policy for Vacation Village properties. There is certainly a larger market for Grandview in Vegas. I am going to be working to get to the bottom of this soon for my peace of mind or to likely plot an exit from Massanuten ownership.

I just looked in my safe at home. There is nothing relevant to this on the deed (didn’t especially think there would be) but a written transfer confirmation from the closing company noted the successful transfer of 137,0000 annual RCI points.

Last edited:

escanoe

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
The three year "term" on my account appears to be uniform transfer procedure for all transferred RCI points accounts .... and nothing Vacation Village has driven.

Standard RCI Points Transfer Form:
https://www.rci.com/static/docs/namer/en_US/RCI-Points-Membership-Transfer-Application.pdf

upload_2019-9-2_22-44-57.png

I agree with @tschwa2 that the person at Massanutten that told him this "knew that [he] would be less likely to pay the $5995 that they were asking to convert (multiple units) if this were the case so [@tschwa2] believes that she believes it to be the case."

However, the thing is @tschwa2 is wAAAAAy more educated on this than the average bear they are dealing with. Overall, they are likely to perceive it to be in their best interest to say that they are the only place you can buy a legitimate RCI Points contract for Massanutten. I remain scared, but skeptical of what the sales team says, as I continue to look into my situation.

Last edited:

escanoe

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I called RCI today in relation to the Woodstone RCI Points Unit that I bought resale last year. I had no problem on the phone extending my RCI Points membership for another year (out to 2022) and at the same time adding three more years (to 2024) to the "membership term expiration date."

Also, see item 8 below from the universal language Massanutten was using in estoppels last year. It says to contact RCI directly "with any questions/transfer of points ownership." Why would it refer to "transfer of points ownership" if such a thing did not exist ... and if they universally limit point use to two years after transfer, this would be an obvious place to state it.

Having now contacted RCI and experiencing no problem extending the term expiration doubt out so far, I feel like this is a case of sales agents' lips moving and not something real to worry about.

Do your new RCI points contracts that they gave you say anything about transfer or points ownership?

upload_2019-9-3_21-23-5.png

escanoe

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
@tschwa2, so did they persuade you to upgrade every thing to points?

Grammarhero

Official TUGBBS Rescission Master
TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Grand Desert 77k, VV Williamsburg 4L/4 & 2/2
Former: Wyndham 276k, HGVC South Bend 1/1
I enjoy Massanutten, but never really loved the place. Maybe I will try to have an open mind. What do you all love about Massanutten?

missyrcrews

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Cold Spring Resort, Acadia Village Resort, Samoset Resort
I enjoy Massanutten, but never really loved the place. Maybe I will try to have an open mind. What do you all love about Massanutten?
My kids LOVED the size of the units. We had a 4BR 4BA in Summit summer 2018. It was one of the largest timeshare units we'd ever stayed in. We enjoyed the water park...great to not have to drive miles and miles. We also enjoyed having lots of Civil War history literally at our doorstep.

I did not like the fees, and the fact that EVERYTHING costs extra. I also wasn't a fan of the crowds. We tend to be happier in smaller out of the way places.

It was fine once, but it will be several years before I'll be ready to go back.

Grammarhero

Official TUGBBS Rescission Master
TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Grand Desert 77k, VV Williamsburg 4L/4 & 2/2
Former: Wyndham 276k, HGVC South Bend 1/1
My kids LOVED the size of the units. We had a 4BR 4BA in Summit summer 2018. It was one of the largest timeshare units we'd ever stayed in. We enjoyed the water park...great to not have to drive miles and miles. We also enjoyed having lots of Civil War history literally at our doorstep.

I did not like the fees, and the fact that EVERYTHING costs extra. I also wasn't a fan of the crowds. We tend to be happier in smaller out of the way places.

It was fine once, but it will be several years before I'll be ready to go back.
There is Civil War stuff near Massanutten? I should check that out. I usually like checking out Fredericksburg and Manassas, the sites of the major Civil War battles.

bluehende

TUG Member
Reaction score

The mountain scenery is very pretty. We hike and bike and both are great here. I would rate the mountain biking here as the best in the East(at least as far as I know). After a few hours of exercise the pools feel great. Also we hit the Monday night show. It is always fun. The general area has a lot of historical sites to visit.

escanoe

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned

1) I don’t disagree with your assessment.

2) I enjoy getting 137,000 RCI points for my my $855 maintenance fee

3) I live in the DC area. It is a close place that one can get into for most three day weekend with minimal planning, effort, and relatively small expenditure of points or dollars. Hiking is great around there and free. Skiing and water park can be fun, but at far from bargain prices.

hyperjewl

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Summit at Massanutten
I've appreciated being able to ready this thread, as I am a Summit Weeks owner, but debating adding in a points account to have the option of rolling my weeks into points when it suits our travel plans. What I'd like to ask is how far does 89,000 points go? I'm extremely familiar with everything in RCI Weeks, but not so with the points program. We tend to travel in larger units - ideally 3 bedrooms. If we rolled our weeks units into points for that year, we'd have even more to use, but I would want to be careful to not have to pay extra fees if they were to expire. I'd also be curious to find out if you believe there are more fees on the Weeks or Points side of RCI. Thank you for your feedback! It's appreciated.

tschwa2

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Membership fee is higher on the points side. I typically get 2 years at a time for $229. It's $124 for 1 year and as you approach 5 years at a time it lowers to $100 per year -$499/5. As long as you use at least some points you don't have to pay to extend the points for the second year. In weeks I usually combine at least once a year so that is something I don't have to do with points. Booking weeks inventory the fees are the same. Booking points inventory the fee is slightly less per week. You do have the option to book longer than a week (up to 21 days). I booked 3 weeks for next summer and the exchange fee was $299.

Points requirements are all over the place. The place I booked for 3 weeks is an older (but still nice) mid atlantic 2 BR beach block resort with no bells and whistles. A summer week is 27,000 points. So I booked 3 weeks for 81,000 and $299 exchange fee. On the other hand 2BR at Vacation Village at Parkway (Orlando) prime weeks are about 92,500 per week and many of these weeks go for 7-12 tpu's on the weeks side.

escanoe

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Booking weeks inventory the fees are the same. Booking points inventory the fee is slightly less per week.

@tschwa2 is the experienced pro in this discussion, but I either misunderstand something or my experience is different ... especially in relation to Massanutten or Vacation Village (VV) weekly exchanges.

My historical experience is booking using RCI Points exclusively. I recently signed up for an RCI weeks account just so I could take advantage of the Mass Resort Boost Program for owners that Pay MFs in advance.

One advantage (it appears to me) of weeks ownership within Massanutten versus points is you get discounted weekly exchange fees within Mass Resort and the greater VV community versus RCI points. A weekly exchange fee with in the VV collection is only $159 per week. Using RCI points the normal exchange for a week (7 days) is $239.

The supposed perk for RCI points is you can book earlier within Massanutten and VV systems. For my current purposes and usage, I would prefer the discounted weekly exchange fee.

But that just discusses the difference in weekly exchange fees. I really like the flexibility that comes with points.

Last edited:

Eric B

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Vacation Village, Wyndham, WorldMark, Vistana, Vidanta, Flora Farms, HGVC Max, and some independents
@tschwa2 is the experienced pro in this discussion, but I either misunderstand something or my experience is different ... especially in relation to Massanutten or Vacation Village (VV) weekly exchanges.

My historical experience is booking using RCI Points exclusively. I recently signed up for an RCI weeks account just so I could take advantage of the Mass Resort Boost Program for owners that Pay MFs in advance.

One advantage (it appears to me) of weeks ownership within Massanutten versus points is you get discounted weekly exchange fees within Mass Resort and the greater VV community versus RCI points. A weekly exchange fee with in the VV collection is only $159 per week. Using RCI points the normal exchange for a week (7 days) is $239.

The supposed perk for RCI points is you can book earlier within Massanutten and VV systems. For my current purposes and usage, I would prefer the discounted weekly exchange fee.

But that just discusses the difference in weekly exchange fees. I really like the flexibility that comes with points.

You'll likely also find that with both a weeks and points account, when VV has a free anniversary week deal going you can get two because they do it by account number. Similarly, you can activate the VV bonus weeks in each account.

BobDE

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Summit at Massanutten
tschwa2, did they show you where the new Regal Vista like units would be located and any information about completion dates? We are going this month and I was think about taking the tour.

Tamaradarann

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC South Beach, HGVC Las Vegas, HGVC Las Vegas on the Strip, HGVC Sea World, Misner Place
I called RCI today in relation to the Woodstone RCI Points Unit that I bought resale last year. I had no problem on the phone extending my RCI Points membership for another year (out to 2022) and at the same time adding three more years (to 2024) to the "membership term expiration date."

Also, see item 8 below from the universal language Massanutten was using in estoppels last year. It says to contact RCI directly "with any questions/transfer of points ownership." Why would it refer to "transfer of points ownership" if such a thing did not exist ... and if they universally limit point use to two years after transfer, this would be an obvious place to state it.

Having now contacted RCI and experiencing no problem extending the term expiration doubt out so far, I feel like this is a case of sales agents' lips moving and not something real to worry about.

Do your new RCI points contracts that they gave you say anything about transfer or points ownership?

View attachment 13826

We have a Vacation Village Misner Place 2 BR with 86,500 annual points which is our first and only developer purchase. We feel that the value of this purchase is the value of the points reservations that can be made. For instance we used 101,000 points this year to reserve 2 weeks in Maui at the Kaanapali Beach Club. If I understand what your saying if we were to sell that timeshare the points WOULD transfer to the new owner.

DannyTS

TUG Member
Reaction score
I am in the process of buying a 178k RCI Points contract Regal Vistas at Massanuten. Anythink I should be aware of? Pros and cons?

CPNY

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Harborside Resort at Atlantis
SVV - Key West/Bella
WKV
Regal Vista at Massanutten
I am in the process of buying a 178k RCI Points contract Regal Vistas at Massanuten. Anythink I should be aware of? Pros and cons?
You just beat me out!!! What was your high? I couldn’t go past 1500. Not knowing enough about it and seeing other listings with different point values. Let me know when you get your estoppel.

CPNY

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SVV - Key West/Bella
WKV

View attachment 13826
What would have happened if you didn’t extend your membership? Would it have reverted to weeks ? My regal vista estoppel lists it as a points ownership.

escanoe

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
What would have happened if you didn’t extend your membership? Would it have reverted to weeks ? My regal vista estoppel lists it as a points ownership.

Presumably if what the sales reps said while their lips were moving was true, yes it would revert back to weeks. My memory of what @tschwa2 said earlier in this thread is the sales office told him that it would revert back to “weeks” once the current “term” in points enrollment ended. I thought a good way to test this would be to call RCI and pay my membership out beyond my current term that was enrolled in points. RCI gladly took my prepaid membership $ and did what was needed to extend my term further out than the sales reps told @tschwa2 it could be.

Here is one thing I would encourage you new buyers to do: Keep the welcome letter you get from Massanutten when the purchase goes through. I thought mine was rather unremarkable and knew I had the deed and the RCI transfer paper. I remember the letter distinctly saying the unit I bought was enrolled in points. I put it in the trash not seeing any reason to keep it.

As soon as I saw @tschwa2’s report, I thought if there had there been any truth to points enrollment not transferring, the resort certainly should have noted something like that in the welcome letter noting I had bought a property enrolled in points.

Please let us know what your welcome letters say when you get them.

I have not brought this up with Massanutten Resort or explicitly with RCI, because I decided it was best not to. However, I have had a few phone conversations with Massanutten and VV RCI specialist and they certainly act like the future of my points account is stable and have asked me to extend my points membership even further out.

I am beyond worrying about this much more, but it was a scary jolt for me when I first heard it.

DannyTS

TUG Member
Reaction score
Presumably if what the sales reps said while their lips were moving was true, yes it would revert back to weeks. My memory of what @tschwa2 said earlier in this thread is the sales office told him that it would revert back to “weeks” once the current “term” in points enrollment ended. I thought a good way to test this would be to call RCI and pay my membership out beyond my current term that was enrolled in points. RCI gladly took my prepaid membership $ and did what was needed to extend my term further out than the sales reps told @tschwa2 it could be.

Here is one thing I would encourage you new buyers to do: Keep the welcome letter you get from Massanutten when the purchase goes through. I thought mine was rather unremarkable and knew I had the deed and the RCI transfer paper. I remember the letter distinctly saying the unit I bought was enrolled in points. I put it in the trash not seeing any reason to keep it.

As soon as I saw @tschwa2’s report, I thought if there had there been any truth to points enrollment not transferring, the resort certainly should have noted something like that in the welcome letter noting I had bought a property enrolled in points.

Please let us know what your welcome letters say when you get them.

I have not brought this up with Massanutten Resort or explicitly with RCI, because I decided it was best not to. However, I have had a few phone conversations with Massanutten and VV RCI specialist and they certainly act like the future of my points account is stable and have asked me to extend my points membership even further out.

I am beyond worrying about this much more, but it was a scary jolt for me when I first heard it.
Last week I have received the estoppel for the Regal Vista as well as the RCI broker form, they both mention the contract is RCI points and nothing about any expiration date. From the estoppel:
- Weeks/Points: Points
- Any Weeks Banked, if so what year(s): This is a points account
-
Date usage is next available: 2020 {Also depends on RCI points transfer agreement)

CPNY

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SVV - Key West/Bella
WKV
1) I don’t disagree with your assessment.

2) I enjoy getting 137,000 RCI points for my my $855 maintenance fee

3) I live in the DC area. It is a close place that one can get into for most three day weekend with minimal planning, effort, and relatively small expenditure of points or dollars. Hiking is great around there and free. Skiing and water park can be fun, but at far from bargain prices.
How long have you owned? Wondering if anyone here has a historical list of MF at massanutten. Just picked up Regal Vista and trying to figure out where the MF would be going. I know always up but how far up, are we leaping year to year or taking the hot air baloon way up up and away? I feel like Grandview hasn’t gone up much at all and woodstone and regal may jump through the hoop.

TimeshareTraveller

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Bluegreen ShoreCrest,
Massanutten Summit,
Eagle Point,
@escanoe, "
"The three year "term" on my account appears to be uniform transfer procedure for all transferred RCI points accounts .... and nothing Vacation Village has driven."

RCI Points are RCI property, not Massanutten. As long as you do not let your membership lapse, the points are there. If you let your membership lapse (the wording says they renew the points/bonus weeks every third year) then the points/bonus weeks will lapse. To transfer the points, you pay RCI a $98 transfer fee. Those were salesman lies you were hearing.