• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Wondering some Information- RCI Points Massanutten

ThatGuyOverThere

TUG Member
Reaction score
So, I posted on here a while ago with an intro into what I was looking for got some great feedback and I lurked for a while reading some information and doing some research. I ended up acquiring a Float Red Week at Summit and we actually came down here to Woodstone (me and the kids have had a little covid fatigue that kicked in hard). We're from the northeast and wanted a change in scenery from the daily work and school life at home before the full fledged winter season hit.

So I sat through some "owners update" which was an attempt to get me to purchase an additional unit and convert my summit to "points" although my understanding is Summit is not in points and essentially this was just a way for me to acquire an additional unit in-turn which Massanutten would then just pretty much be doing a PFD, is this correct?

I then got to thinking about PFD and possibly acquiring a unit with a low MF and just using it as access to RCI Points and if it would be possible to do PFD with Summit if I wanted too. Is that a viable option?

I still am attempting to differentiate between the Points and Weeks and I have looked at the TUG Guide (which is great BTW) and it seems like I may like the idea of Points I'm not 100 percent sold in it.

Synergy

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Grandview, Massanutten
Yep, you could buy any points contract and then you'd be able to PFD your week. I can't remember for sure anymore, but I think you have the option to select a specific high value week for deposit. You may need to pay your mf early to get one of the high value weeks.

As I understand it, if Summit ever goes points, you'd be stuck with TPU or you'd have to pay to convert it, and your annual points allotment would be the average of the value of your float weeks. Folks have worried about points conversions for years, but I haven't heard any talk about it for quite some time. I think some folks have theorized that Summit is unlikely to convert because of the many float weeks sold, but I'm not sold on that myself.

Edit: Also, I love points, mostly because I have a great overall cost ratio. It is much harder to find an equivalent ratio for TPU. I've only used points for two short stays, though - despite initially thinking that we'd use them frequently. Instead, we often book last minute stays from weeks inventory and just stay as many nights as we can get away. Recently, though, we managed to book three weeks from points inventory at a nearby resort - we visited four times and paid less than $300 in exchange fees plus 50k points. I definitely like having the extra options.

Last edited:

ThatGuyOverThere

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thank you!

That was my understanding as well as if the resort converted you would have to convert also and if not you'd be locked into TPUs and unable to do a PFD.

I have been looking into the Grandview as an option for getting into points but as I said I need to do a little more research and see what locations go for what values and so forth.

I believe if I split the 4 bed lockout red into 2 units I would gain (if its a prime week) about 121k points and then also whichever I would have in points for the unit I decide to go with for a low MF.

Luckily I read about the "owners update" on here actually prior so I knew what was kind of coming ahead of time.

Synergy

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Grandview, Massanutten
Thank you!

That was my understanding as well as if the resort converted you would have to convert also and if not you'd be locked into TPUs and unable to do a PFD.
I have been looking into the Grandview as an option for getting into points but as I said I need to do a little more research and see what locations go for what values and so forth.

I believe if I split the 4 bed lockout red into 2 units I would gain (if its a prime week) about 121k points and then also whichever I would have in points for the unit I decide to go with for a low MF.

Luckily I read about the "owners update" on here actually prior so I knew what was kind of coming ahead of time.

I looked into that myself at one point - pretty good ratio and available for pennies regularly. I ended up lucking my way into a Regal Vistas summer week (already in points) instead, but those are few and far between. Woodstone summer weeks are also a good value, if you stumble upon one of those. Grandview is the typical recommendation, because even their mid-level weeks are a decent value, and they sold a TON of them as biennial and triennial ownerships.

I currently have a few too many points, but we've managed to burn just enough that we don't have to worry about extensions until next year - and hopefully, by then, we'll have plenty of travel on the books. I sometimes wonder if I've overextended ourselves in points, but I figure that if we can successfully use them during the COVID era, we'll definitely be able to make use of them when we don't have to be quite so picky.

So glad you knew what you were getting yourself into before the owners update. We've never actually stayed at any of our owned resorts, and other properties graciously let us get away without a presentation when I tell them how much I pay on eBay for what they're peddling.

ThatGuyOverThere

TUG Member
Reaction score
... other properties graciously let us get away without a presentation when I tell them how much I pay on eBay for what they're peddling.

This...Sales rep said to me "Do you mind if I ask how much you paid for it?" Told him "Nothing" and the look of confusion on his face was amusing but then...it sat in and confused me even more as if he honestly believes what they say to people.

Last edited:

schoolmarm

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham CWA, Bali Hai, and National Harbor; Summit at Massanutten
I just sat in on a Sales "meeting" on the 22nd and the salesman asked me the same question. $1.25, I said (for the Summit, both upper and lower units--sleeps 12, float).