• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Woman returns "dead" Christmas tree to Costco on Jan 4. Gets her money back

Helios

TUG Member
Reaction score

regatta333

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Long Wharf, Wyndham points, Vistana Westin Kierland
I once saw a guy in Costco returning a few dozen folding chairs after 4th of July weekend, presumably having put them to use for
some type of 4th of July party.

DaveNV

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
I once saw a guy in Costco returning a few dozen folding chairs after 4th of July weekend, presumably having put them to use for
some type of 4th of July party.

And no doubt he had some lame excuse like they weren't comfortable to sit on, or some such. And chances are, Costco gave him the refund. But note that they watch everything that is returned, and document the reason why. Corporate Buyers receive that feedback, and factor that into whether to buy the item again. People who abuse the refund system are quickly discovered, and their option for returning things for ridiculous reasons are documented.

The refunds people hear about on Facebook or whatever are egregious, and are fewer than people think. Most members are honest people who don't abuse the system. Also, Costco Refund Cashiers are highly trained people who demonstrate strong judgment on what they will or won't accept back. The people who are put into the Refunder positions are normally experienced cashiers who have worked for Costco for a number of years. And trust me - they are not afraid to say No to those who deserve it. :)

Dave

AnnaS

TUG Member
Reaction score
Just because you can, does not mean you should. So many people ruin good things for everyone else. All aspects of life. One here and there might not seem like much but add them up all together........

I am glad Costco keeps track as they should

I have seen customers return cooked meat and after they ate half of it, said they did not like it for one reason or another. At the time, meat and seafood was double your money back. Not sure if this policy still exists today!!

DaveNV

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
I have seen customers return cooked meat and after they ate half of it, said they did not like it for one reason or another. At the time, meat and seafood was double your money back. Not sure if this policy still exists today!!

I think it’s a one-for-one refund policy now. Never heard of a two-for-one return policy at Costco.

Dave

Elan

TUG Member
Reaction score
Speaking of Costco and returns: I once purchased a plasma TV from Costco. About a week later, the same TV went on sale for ~$50 less. Knowing that I could return and re-buy, I took my receipt in to ask for a simple refund, figuring it would be way easier for all involved. Costco did not want to refund the $50. I pointed out to them that they could either make me go home, disconnect everything, bring the TV back to them as a return, leaving them with a used TV to deal with or they could simply refund the $50. Common sense finally came into play and they gave me the $50 difference in cash.

AnnaS

TUG Member
Reaction score
I should have been more clear Dave. The double your money back was at local supermarkets.

geoand

TUG Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
I return food all the time. If the quality of the product is not to my liking, I will return it. Most of my grocery shopping is at Costco. Have not had a problem with returns. I have returned, the bottles of nuts because when I got home, the seal was either not there or had been opened. I now unscrew the lid and check before I buy. I have returned vegetables either because of insects or the vegetable was overripe.I have returned apples the same day that I purchase them. I will open the pkg after purchase and before exit. If the apple is mushy, I return them before I leave. I have purchased pineapples quite often. However, the source has changed. I purchased one from new source and it was terribly sour. I did not return that. Just won't buy them if the source is the came. I have purchased 3 automatic espresso machines in the past 15 years. Purchase price was well over $500 and I returned the first two because they quit operating within a year of purchase. Went elsewhere to buy another and that lasted me for about 7 years. My last purchase of machine was about 6 years ago from Costco and it was a different make from the first 2 purchases. It is still growing strong.

x3 skier

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Steamboat Grand, The West,
Raintree and, formerly, The Allen House
Can I return a girl friend I met at Costco?:p

Cheers

Passepartout

TUG Member
Reaction score
I've returned a few clothing items that just didn't fit. I'm always a little leery when I see an unfamiliar brand. I may just buy one package, take it home to try, and if it works out, hustle back for more, or rarely, return it. We don't buy a lot of fresh food at Costco because of the package sizes. Two people have a hard time drinking 2 gallons of milk before it goes stale, or 6 heads of romaine lettuce, or 50 lbs of potatoes. We DO find that the frozen foods are a good value and are a regular staple.

But not Christmas trees.

DaveNV

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
Speaking of Costco and returns: I once purchased a plasma TV from Costco. About a week later, the same TV went on sale for ~$50 less. Knowing that I could return and re-buy, I took my receipt in to ask for a simple refund, figuring it would be way easier for all involved. Costco did not want to refund the $50. I pointed out to them that they could either make me go home, disconnect everything, bring the TV back to them as a return, leaving them with a used TV to deal with or they could simply refund the $50. Common sense finally came into play and they gave me the $50 difference in cash.

Not sure how long ago that was, but the current policy is this: If a normally-stocked item sells at one price, and it goes on sale within 30 days at a lower price, AND if the item is still in stock in the warehouse, they will do a Price Adjustment for the difference. Once the item sells out, they won't do the price adjustment. So you need to act fast. You only need to go to the Refund desk and ask for a Price Adjustment. (Depending on the warehouse, they may refer you to the Front End Supervisor's desk by the checkout, to do the adjustment.)

If you find the item has sold for less within 30 days after you bought it, AND it is out of stock (so the Price Adjustment is no longer available), your only option is to return the item for a refund (within 90 days, if it's electronics.) The down side to that is you can't just buy another of the same item, because it's out of stock. So that isn't helping you much, except to refund your money if you felt you should have been able to buy something for less than you spent.

As in all things, the policy is subject to change at any time. Next time you're in the warehouse, stop and ask them what the current policy is, if you think you may want to take advantage of it.

Dave

DaveNV

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
Can I return a girl friend I met at Costco?:p

Cheers

Why, yes. Yes, you can. Unfortunately, unless she has a barcode that scans into their system, you likely won't get a refund on what you spent. So the return probably ends at the warehouse door. ;)

Dave

Last edited:

x3 skier

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Steamboat Grand, The West,
Raintree and, formerly, The Allen House
Why, yes. Yes, you can. Unfortunately, unless she has a barcode than scans into their system, you likely won't get a refund on what you spent. So the return probably ends at the warehouse door. ;)

Dave

Bummer:D

Cheers

DaveNV

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
I've returned a few clothing items that just didn't fit. I'm always a little leery when I see an unfamiliar brand. I may just buy one package, take it home to try, and if it works out, hustle back for more, or rarely, return it. We don't buy a lot of fresh food at Costco because of the package sizes. Two people have a hard time drinking 2 gallons of milk before it goes stale, or 6 heads of romaine lettuce, or 50 lbs of potatoes. We DO find that the frozen foods are a good value and are a regular staple.

But not Christmas trees.

It's hard for two people to use a lot of the fresh food, due to sheer volume. You definitely need to plan ahead. I have a Seal-a-Meal thing, and split larger packages of freezable stuff into smaller amounts. I separate them into two-per-package sizes, and freeze them. That works especially well when things like the pork chops or steaks go on sale. With the steaks, I can also add marinade fixins to the package, and when they are later thawed for use, the marinade is well-saturated into the meat.

One of my best purchases ever was a smaller chest freezer when we moved into this house fourteen years ago. I knew the freezer in the kitchen was just too small for Costco-sized packages, and the 15cf (I think it was) chest freezer I put in the garage was a lifesaver. It's still going strong. Definitely got my money's worth on that one.

Dave

VacationForever

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
It's hard for two people to use a lot of the fresh food, due to sheer volume. You definitely need to plan ahead. I have a Seal-a-Meal thing, and split larger packages of freezable stuff into smaller amounts. I separate them into two-per-package sizes, and freeze them. That works especially well when things like the pork chops or steaks go on sale. With the steaks, I can also add marinade fixins to the package, and when they are later thawed for use, the marinade is well-saturated into the meat.

One of my best purchases ever was a smaller chest freezer when we moved into this house fourteen years ago. I knew the freezer in the kitchen was just too small for Costco-sized packages, and the 15cf (I think it was) chest freezer I put in the garage was a lifesaver. It's still going strong. Definitely got my money's worth on that one.

Dave

We rarely shop at Costco anymore because the parking situation is crazy at the store near to us. But when we do, we shop EVERYTHING including fresh food even though it is just the 2 of us because we have a good fridge and we also find ways to freeze or consume them by inviting neighbors over. As an example, just yesterday we went to Costco because we were running low on Ziploc bags. Besides Ziploc bags, trash bags etc, we bought USDA Prime grade ribeye and pork belly for meats. Last evening when a group of us from our condo went out for dinner, we invited a couple (our good friends) over for dinner tomorrow, telling them that they will have to help us eat the ribeye. We also repackaged the pork belly into 3 packets and they went into the freezer. We have bought 5 pounds of the little pototoes and believe it or not, we ate the whole thing over a period of a month or so. We have the best fridge that we have ever bought (it is a GE Cafe). It keeps vegetables and fruits fresh for months while the meat drawer is kept consistently cold at 32 degrees.

Passepartout

TUG Member
Reaction score
One of my best purchases ever was a smaller chest freezer when we moved into this house fourteen years ago. I knew the freezer in the kitchen was just too small for Costco-sized packages,
We also have a chest freezer that we get great use from, and to break down meats into smaller packages for the two of us, but as I mentioned above the gallons of milk and bales of salad mix and stuff you can't freeze. I make an excuse for bags of artichokes in season. :)

mentalbreak

TUG Member
Reaction score
I’m guessing I was on that undesirable returner list. We bought a push lawn mower from costco and it was just way too heavy for anybody in the family other than my husband to use. We gave it a 2-month trial (until we ran it out of fuel) and returned it. The return guy was less-than-friendly.

On the other hand, my BIL was in Costco one day wearing a pair of shoes he had purchased a few months before. The Costco associate commented on them and my BIL said how he really liked them, but probably bought them a size too big. The associate insisted that he exchange for the right size. So he did. Left the used shoes there at the return desk and walked out with the new ones.

Talent312

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC & GTS
Can I return a girl friend I met at Costco?

If you have a receipt; otherwise, you'll just get a store credit for another.

I once tried to return something at Lowe's and was denied.
They told me to look at my receipt. It said "Home Depot."

DaveNV

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
I’m guessing I was on that undesirable returner list. We bought a push lawn mower from costco and it was just way too heavy for anybody in the family other than my husband to use. We gave it a 2-month trial (until we ran it out of fuel) and returned it. The return guy was less-than-friendly.

On the other hand, my BIL was in Costco one day wearing a pair of shoes he had purchased a few months before. The Costco associate commented on them and my BIL said how he really liked them, but probably bought them a size too big. The associate insisted that he exchange for the right size. So he did. Left the used shoes there at the return desk and walked out with the new ones.

It's unlikely you were on any undesirable list, unless you had abused the refund system, or there was something going on with your membership account. Costco gets a lot of lawn equipment returned, often (conveniently?) right at the end of the season. A power lawn mower is not an unusual return, especially if it's too heavy to use. The problem with gas-powered equipment like that is they need to drain the gas tank, and seal it up safely before it can be shipped back to the vendor. That takes a certain amount of time, and is a hassle, due to environmental safety. (Where do they dump the gas?) Chances are, that was why the refunder gave you a hard time. It's also possible he was just having a bad day. But at the end of the transaction, you did get your refund, right?

That reminds me of something I saw at a Lowe's last summer. I drove into the parking lot, and saw that a couple had a lawn mower tipped up on its' side in the grass at the edge of the lot. I went to the store security desk and told them what I saw - that people were dumping gas onto the ground next to a creek that flows right to our salmon-habitat river. A very major environmental problem. The security guy ran out to stop them. The same desk is where returns are handled, and the cashier there said, "I'll bet I know who that is. They were just here trying to return the mower, and we told them the gas tank had to be empty. They said they'd take t home and drain it, then bring it back. Sounds like they didn't even leave the parking lot." He didn't even sound surprised it was happening. A very sad commentary. I hope the people got in trouble, but I kind of doubt it.

Dave

DaveNV

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
I once tried to return something at Lowe's and was denied.
They told me to look at my receipt. It said "Home Depot."

I'll bet that happens a lot, to a lot of people. :)

Dave

rapmarks

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
We also have a chest freezer that we get great use from, and to break down meats into smaller packages for the two of us, but as I mentioned above the gallons of milk and bales of salad mix and stuff you can't freeze. I make an excuse for bags of artichokes in season. :)
I have never seen the two goolon containers of milk. All our Costco sell by one gallon and even f we don't finish , it his half the price of publix

DaveNV

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
I have never seen the two goolon containers of milk. All our Costco sell by one gallon and even f we don't finish , it his half the price of publix

Milk at Costco is usually a bundle of two one-gallon cartons.

Dave

PigsDad

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Elite: SeaWorld, Surf Club, Charter Club, Valdoro
Ours sells the 1-gallon container, but boxed up in packages of two. You can't just buy a single gallon.

Kurt

Elan

TUG Member
Reaction score
Not sure how long ago that was, but the current policy is this: If a normally-stocked item sells at one price, and it goes on sale within 30 days at a lower price, AND if the item is still in stock in the warehouse, they will do a Price Adjustment for the difference. Once the item sells out, they won't do the price adjustment. So you need to act fast. You only need to go to the Refund desk and ask for a Price Adjustment. (Depending on the warehouse, they may refer you to the Front End Supervisor's desk by the checkout, to do the adjustment.)

If you find the item has sold for less within 30 days after you bought it, AND it is out of stock (so the Price Adjustment is no longer available), your only option is to return the item for a refund (within 90 days, if it's electronics.) The down side to that is you can't just buy another of the same item, because it's out of stock. So that isn't helping you much, except to refund your money if you felt you should have been able to buy something for less than you spent.

As in all things, the policy is subject to change at any time. Next time you're in the warehouse, stop and ask them what the current policy is, if you think you may want to take advantage of it.

Dave

There's a portion to this story that I just remembered. The new, lower price, if I now remember correctly, was perhaps advertised as "online only". This was some time ago (~15 years?), but when I first posted my recollection above it seemed I was forgetting some detail, and I think that was it -- online only. Nonetheless, it doesn't really change the story, the amount of common sense needed, or the most reasonable outcome; I would have to re-package and return the TV, giving the local warehouse a used TV to deal with, then re-order the TV online and have the new one delivered to my house. Still far more reasonable to just issue a refund.

Elan

TUG Member
Reaction score
Another thing about our Costco. Their bagels are good. But one must buy a 3-pack, IIRC. Something about our Costco's bagels, but I swear they mold if you simply look at them funny. So, buying a 3-pack, unless one lives exclusively on bagels for a few days, isn't practical, as you'll likely only get 1.5 packages used before the rest mold.