• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Woman out $400K to 'Nigerian scam' con artists - Seriouisly. She fell for it.

T_R_Oglodyte

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Woman out $400K to 'Nigerian scam' con artists

SWEET HOME, Ore. – Janella Spears doesn’t think she’s a sucker or an easy mark.

…Spears received just such an e-mail, promising her that she’d get $20.5 million if she would only help out a long-lost relative – identified in the e-mail as J.B. Spears – with a little money up front. "That's what got me to believe it," Spears said.

It turned out to be a lot of money up front, but it started with just $100.

The scammers ran Spears through the whole program. They said President Bush and FBI Director "Robert Muller" (their spelling) were in on the deal and needed her help.

They sent official-looking documents and certificates from the Bank of Nigeria and even from the United Nations. Her payment was "guaranteed."

Then the amount she would get jumped up to $26.6 million – if she would just send $8,300. Spears sent the money.

…For more than two years, Spears sent tens and hundreds of thousands of dollars. Everyone she knew, including law enforcement officials, her family and bank officials, told her to stop, that it was all a scam. She persisted.

Spears said she kept sending money because the scammers kept telling her that the next payment would be the last one, that the big money was inbound. Spears said she became obsessed with getting paid.

Patri

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Maybe someone should be given power of attorney over her financial affairs.

Brett

Reaction score
Maybe someone should be given power of attorney over her financial affairs.

unfortunately that's the advice (after the fact) for a lot of these scam victims. hard to believe anyone falling for those stupid email scams

Phill12

TUG Member
Reaction score
With the acts of this women you have described I'm surprised she was smart enough to have $400K.

I have always said that some get taken and others seem to work harder to lose their money!

PHIL:shrug:

M. Henley

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Must Have...

Surely she either won the lottery or inherited the money.

"Roger"

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
What the article failed to mention is that she also bought twenty-seven timeshare units, all from a developer.

teachingmyown

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
So, then, in other words, the name "Spears" is pretty much synonymous with "idiot"....:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Oh, PLEASE don't make THAT assumption! Some of my favorite people are named "Spears" (like my KIDS!)

"teachingmyown"

T_R_Oglodyte

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
What the article failed to mention is that she also bought twenty-seven timeshare units, all from a developer.

Actually the e-mail that finally hooked her for sure was when they promised to sell those timeshare units in 90 days, guaranteed, for 50% more than she paid for them.

Bill4728

Reaction score
…For more than two years, Spears sent tens and hundreds of thousands of dollars. Everyone she knew, including law enforcement officials, her family and bank officials, told her to stop, that it was all a scam. She persisted.

Spears said she kept sending money because the scammers kept telling her that the next payment would be the last one, that the big money was inbound. Spears said she became obsessed with getting paid.

It would be sad if she had sent $400K all at once. BUT how can someone be so stupid!! Everyone she knew, including law enforcement officials, her family and bank officials, told her to stop, that it was all a scam

It is like that old saying "Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me ".

Janella Spears doesn’t think she’s a sucker or an easy mark.
BUT SHE IS!! Both a sucker and an easy mark.

Kal

TUG Member
Reaction score
It ...It is like that old saying "Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me "....

Didn't I hear somewhere that the old saying actually states (at least in Texas) as:

"fool me once, shame on — shame on you. Fool me — you can't get fooled again." :whoopie:

T_R_Oglodyte

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
It would be sad if she had sent $400K all at once. BUT how can someone be so stupid!! Everyone she knew, including law enforcement officials, her family and bank officials, told her to stop, that it was all a scam

It is like that old saying "Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me ".

BUT SHE IS!! Both a sucker and an easy mark.

That's like being in a poker game for half an hour and not being sure who's the patsie. If you don't know, then the patsie is you.

Last edited:

Chrisky

TUG Member
Reaction score
There is also a saying - 'there's a sucker born everyday'!

Passepartout

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
We've seen this several times, well, not the Nigerian scam, but others. Mostly Canadian scams. People come in to DW's (family)law practice for a conservatorship on an elderly parent who has fallen for it. Our Eldest DS's wife's Grandfather sent thousands to some Canadian outfit who promised bazillions. His kids- the other inlaws had to take away all his cards, checks, change his address to theirs, disconnect his phone. No dummy, he's a retired dentist. So many elderly want to give a bundle to their heirs, and these scammers play on every emotion these people have.

Jim Ricks