• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Woman brings mini-service horse onto plane, into first class

MULTIZ321

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
BLUEWATER BY SPINNAKER HHI
ROYAL HOLIDAY CLUB RHC (POINTS)
Woman brings mini-service horse onto plane, into first class.

Richard

GetawaysRus

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Desert Springs Villas 2
Marriott Grand Chateau
This isn't as crazy as it at first seems. Although not nearly so widely used as dogs, these mini-horses can be trained as legitimate service animals for the blind.

I have encountered one of these. I'll just say that service dogs are, uh, less pungent. (It was fairly easy to tell when the service pony was nearby.) Dogs are also much smaller animals, and not as much in the way.

rhonda

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark, DVC, Grand Pacific Palisades // Gone: Warner Springs Ranch, Seapointer (SA), WinPointVIP (?)
Again, I think the DOT will have a difficult argument against service horses given the ADA's blessing on the same.

goaliedave

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Raintree, Diamond (bought by Hilton), Shell (bought by Wyndham), Sheraton (bought by Marriott), Palace Resorts, a few independants
This isn't as crazy as it at first seems. Although not nearly so widely used as dogs, these mini-horses can be trained as legitimate service animals for the blind.

I have encountered one of these. I'll just say that service dogs are, uh, less pungent. (It was fairly easy to tell when the service pony was nearby.) Dogs are also much smaller animals, and not as much in the way.
Regarding pungency, i wonder how "Mr. Stinkerbutt" got along... https://www.independent.co.uk/trave...flights-peacocks-marmoset-horse-a8190576.html

Comedian Larry the Cable Guy claims he has a doctor's letter saying he needs to fly with his emotional support hooker.

Sent from my SM-A505G using Tapatalk

CO skier

TUG Member
Reaction score
Miniature service horses are recognized by ADA laws as legitimate service animals, if properly trained and under control. (I think this is in consideration of some religious prejudices against dogs.)

This is in contrast to Emotional Support Animals that are not trained to provide a service and are not recognized by ADA laws (and are pets, not highly trained service animals).

bbodb1

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
High radiation belt of the Northern Hemisphere
Resorts Owned
RCI Weeks: LaCosta Beach Club, RCI Points: Oakmont Resort, Vacation Village at Parkway. Wyndham: CWA and La Belle Maison, and WorldMark.
The whole concept of emotional support animals has jumped the shark.

JudyH

TUG Member
Reaction score
As a horse owner, what happens when that horse suddenly without warning, colics on the plane and becomes uncontrollable? I’ve had it happen in the barn. Or said well trained horse kicks someone. Mini or not, that sure will hurt.
Some people need their heads examined.

PigsDad

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Elite: SeaWorld, Surf Club, Charter Club, Valdoro
As a horse owner, what happens when that horse suddenly without warning, colics on the plane and becomes uncontrollable? I’ve had it happen in the barn. Or said well trained horse kicks someone. Mini or not, that sure will hurt.
I would say the odds are about the same as a trained service dog going rouge -- attacking and seriously biting someone (they are carnivores, after all). I think I'd rather be kicked by a service mini-horse than bit by a German Shepard service dog -- both of which I would consider an extremely rare event.

Kurt

turkel

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Shadow Ridge
Marriott Grand Chateau
I am not for animals on planes, but at least she had the sense to buy 2 seats in first class and did not require any other passengers to sit next to her and her “ service animal”. In an interview the owner said Fred is her emotional support horse. My vote is if you can’t fly like everyone else ( no pets) stay home or drive.

goaliedave

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Raintree, Diamond (bought by Hilton), Shell (bought by Wyndham), Sheraton (bought by Marriott), Palace Resorts, a few independants
I am not for animals on planes, but at least she had the sense to buy 2 seats in first class and did not require any other passengers to sit next to her and her “ service animal”. In an interview the owner said Fred is her emotional support horse. My vote is if you can’t fly like everyone else ( no pets) stay home or drive.
Agree, they are pets and the madness has to stop. Thank God it will soon https://nypost.com/2020/01/22/us-seeks-to-tighten-rules-covering-service-animals-on-planes/

The USA provides a never-ending stream of unique "individual rights" activities (as the only country with a constitution focused on individuals instead of society) to keep the rest of the world shaking their heads.

Sent from my SM-A505G using Tapatalk

Kathleen

TUG Member
Reaction score
These over the top allowances make it more difficult for folks with disabilities to fit in to the mainstream of daily life.

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Son Antem, Playa Andaluza, Harbour Lake
In an interview the owner said Fred is her emotional support horse. My vote is if you can’t fly like everyone else ( no pets) stay home or drive.

Are you suggesting that people who require a service animal (typically a dog) should not be allowed to fly because of their disability?

It's quite difficult to drive across the Atlantic or even the English Channel.

rhonda

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark, DVC, Grand Pacific Palisades // Gone: Warner Springs Ranch, Seapointer (SA), WinPointVIP (?)
As a horse owner, what happens when that horse suddenly without warning, colics on the plane and becomes uncontrollable? I’ve had it happen in the barn.
Hopefully the handler will see and respond to early signs before it becomes an uncontrollable problem? As it is a very real risk, I'll hope the handler carries meds for "just in case" moments? Perhaps Equi-Spaz, White Lightning, Banamine or similar? (Sure, assembling the emergency pack might, in and of itself, be strong deterrent against flying with the mini-service-horse.)

bbodb1

TUG Member
Reaction score
High radiation belt of the Northern Hemisphere
Resorts Owned
RCI Weeks: LaCosta Beach Club, RCI Points: Oakmont Resort, Vacation Village at Parkway. Wyndham: CWA and La Belle Maison, and WorldMark.
Are you suggesting that people who require a service animal (typically a dog) should not be allowed to fly because of their disability?

It's quite difficult to drive across the Atlantic or even the English Channel.

A service animal - as defined like a leader dog for the blind, an early onset of a dangerous medical condition (such as high blood sugar detection), even a balance assist dog - they can and should be able to fly with the people they provide necessary medical assistance to (toward).

Emotional support animals?

The entire notion illustrates just how out of whack the idea of 'accommodation' has been warped.

pedro47

TUG Member
Reaction score
Some people need their heads examined.
Interesting maybe the congressional person/aide who help wrote this ADA legislation; should have spoken to an actual horse owners IMHO.

WinniWoman

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Innseason Pollard Brook
Next will be elephants.

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Son Antem, Playa Andaluza, Harbour Lake
Emotional support animals?

The entire notion illustrates just how out of whack the idea of 'accommodation' has been warped.

I'm entirely with you on this one. This topic has been discussed at length on a previous thread but the whole concept of an 'emotional support animal' has gone completely out of control in the US. There is a clear and legally defined difference between a service animal and an emotional support animal. Most countries only allow service animals to fly in the cabin (or other certain small pets that are secured and kept under certain conditions) and fortunately the US is beginning to crack down.