• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

wmh or desert springs

alexb

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Craigendarroch Scotland,Marriott Grande Chateau,pga golf village
we are looking to have our first trip to palm desert which resort is best

applegirl

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
We have stayed at desert springs many times and just returned from our first time at WMH. Both are wonderful resorts.

Tell me what your family makeup is (kids?) and what is important to you and I can make a recommendation.

Janna

alexb

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Craigendarroch Scotland,Marriott Grande Chateau,pga golf village
it will be 2couples no children, the guys will be looking to play golf and the
girls will be looking to shop

Bill4728

Reaction score
Both the resorts are top of the line for Palm Desert.

You'll be happy with either of the resorts.

Golf and shopping are nearby at both resorts so that isn't a factor.

applegirl

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
Both resorts are great.

Desert Springs is a much larger resort and more spread out. The views overall are also better from the Desert Springs units, especially if you request ahead of time based on what's important to you. I also think the resort next door to Desert Springs is more impressive and has better restaurants to offer. The lobby alone is an experience (this is the lobby where boats come in and pick you up to take you to your reservation). The Spa at the JW was also recently renovated and redone, so it's impressive. If you are staying via getaway or exchange you have day privileges included if you stay in DSV I.

The lock-off rooms are different between phase I and II are different. In phase I they have two full or queen beds (I've never determined which they are) and no couch. In phase II there is a king bed and a couch. If a couple is use to sleeping on a king or they are large people, then the bed thing can be a big deal.

The Westin was beautiful too, felt a little step above Marriott in terms of luxury and I really enjoyed the full service restaurant right next to the t/s pool. You can also use the resort pool if you wish. This property was much smaller, not as many nice view rooms although I really liked the views overlooking the creek area. Very pretty. The unit layouts may be more conducve to two couples. There's the larger one bedroom with a king bed and full kitchen then the smaller lock-off unit with queen bed, small family room and dining table and limited kitchen (no oven). Don't know what the spa is like since I haven't used it. There is a nice cement walking path that stretches the whole length of the t/s and resort properties. Very easy walking right along the golf course.

Both resorts are equally close to golf and shopping. Both have pool areas that are very nice. Both have shuttle service between the t/s property and the resort next door.

Decisions, decisions!

Janna

Quimby4

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott DSV II
Riviera Beach Spa Resort (deed back 2018)
I agree with Janna.

I like Marriott Desert Spings Villas location because you can walk or take the shuttle to the JW resort and the spa is fabulous!

I like the rooms at the Westin better.
The pools at the Westin are better for kids because they have waterslides.

Either way you will have a great time!!

BevL

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
I have to agree that either would be great. My only thing would be, as mentioned, the lockoff side at the Westin is much nicer, a true one bedroom. We did find parking much better at Desert Springs - with the Westin it's a communal parking lot and you're hoofing to your unit. We were near the back and it was quite a hike, especially with luggage and groceries.