• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

WKV Trip Report

DavidnRobin

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV OFD (Maui)
WPORV (Kauai)
WSJ-VGV (St. John)
WKV (Scottsdale)
Day 4/5 - okay - saw the parents - not much to report - Day 5 (THE OWNERS UPDATE) was very interesting... not really sure of how much to say here... I think DeniseM said they read this board -YIKES! - you may have noticed an edit (or 2...) read early - read often... for it may change...

OK - so we are sitting poolside using the WiFi after our 6500 SPs for 90 mins of our time.

No pressure, but our guy should have got to the punch-line fast - I told him I was VERY familiar SVO - we love the SVO system, but we only have 3 weeks vacation - etc. - we own 3 weeks (he found out they were all resale - no way to avoid... we own 3 weeks and we are not Gold??? - you get the picture) - anyway... he needed to go thru his spile I guess - too bad because the punch-line was the best... needless to say I walked away but what they were offering was interesting - more later - as I said in another thread - I may need to create a new thread...

btw, the Explorer package is 4 nites/5 days - but very interesting - hmmmm... they need a pill for TS addiction.

DavidnRobin

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV OFD (Maui)
WPORV (Kauai)
WSJ-VGV (St. John)
WKV (Scottsdale)
I haven't read anyting about the Giants or A's. Aren't you going to any games while you are down there?

We would have gone to KC v SF yesterday - but went to see the folks - we are going tomorrow and Friday...

Glorian - u have mail...

saluki

TUG Member
Reaction score
Day 4/5 - okay - saw the parents - not much to report - Day 5 (THE OWNERS UPDATE) was very interesting... not really sure of how much to say here... I think DeniseM said they read this board -YIKES! - you may have noticed an edit (or 2...) read early - read often... for it may change...

OK - so we are sitting poolside using the WiFi after our 6500 SPs for 90 mins of our time.

No pressure, but our guy should have got to the punch-line fast - I told him I was VERY familiar SVO - we love the SVO system, but we only have 3 weeks vacation - etc. - we own 3 weeks (he found out they were all resale - no way to avoid... we own 3 weeks and we are not Gold??? - you get the picture) - anyway... he needed to go thru his spile I guess - too bad because the punch-line was the best... needless to say I walked away but what they were offering was interesting - more later - as I said in another thread - I may need to create a new thread...

btw, the Explorer package is 4 nites/5 days - but very interesting - hmmmm... they need a pill for TS addiction.

Keep it comin', I love it!

Where are they offering Explorer packages to given that Kierland is essentially sold out?

pointsjunkie

TUG Member
Reaction score
they are selling at other places. i think it is not very good sales practice. it's like i'll show you how great this place is but sorry you can't have it!!!! but i have something 4000 miles away that i can sell you. but wkv explorer package is must better than the VV explorer package. i haven't heard of any other, does anyone else no of another explorer package?

tomandrobin

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks for taking the time to post your report. I am glad you are enjoying the resort, we love it there. Ironically, we are beach/island people, but we bought a timeshare in Arizona.

We enjoyed the quiet pool area too! It really helps give you that more relaxed/romantic option if you aren't traveling with kids.

Have you been to the bar on the lower level of the hotel? Last time there we had the pool table room for the evening.

pointsjunkie

TUG Member
Reaction score
they originally started the program to non svo's and then realized that we too can not always purchase at the drop of a hat (life sometimes does get in the way) so they started the program for svo's also.

DavidnRobin

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV OFD (Maui)
WPORV (Kauai)
WSJ-VGV (St. John)
WKV (Scottsdale)
Day 5/6 - OK, OK - enough of the TS stuff. The Owners Update was worth the 90-mins for the entertainment value and the 6500 SPs. I wish we had gotten right to the point so I could have gotten more key info - most of it was about how great the SVO/SVN systems is - and how SPs can get you into the most incredible hotels in the world (about an hours worth of stuff I already knew). Thanks for all of the insights - especially the PMs and info on the other thread.

Spent another beautiful (yet cooler) day by the Relaxation pool (after the TS spile) - me on the free WiFi drinking Negro Modelo's (a Mexican beer brewed after a Austrian-style Vienna beer - I use to brew as a hobby), and Robin getting more sun. No happy hour cocktails for us tonight - keep missing dinner and in bed earlier than home.

We are truly lazy - but that's what we love - hanging out - do whatever and nothing at all. Too bad this will all come to an end - no time for those thoughts.

BBQ'd again - plentiful BBQs here (plan on it) - some chicken this time with salad, pasta, and beans - along with a bottle of Chateau Montelena 2003 Zinfindal (wonderful - need to buy more of these - 91/92 points by Robert Parker - and I can see why).

Watched a DVD - 'Thank You for Not Smoking' - a must see - very funny - and perfect for us - don't get me started about smoking... (I work in the field of oncology). And off to another great night of sleep. (dreams of TSs dancing in my head - lol)

Looks like it may rain today (Day 6 - Thursday?), but still warm - finally getting out to do what we came for - Spring Training.

Cont'd:
It is raining! Wow - it was in the 90s and now ~72. looks like we are getting wet today - but it is a dry rain... (WHAT!)

Meant to add that the 4th floor Deluxe (large) villas here - on the ends - are #s x403 and x410 - have balconies with slats and not covered (we would prefer these). The lower floors all are covered (of course), and have 2 extra units on their floors. This 4th floor end units (Deluxe) balconies are the most private.

B1 and B2 overlook the pools - with B1 over the 'Relaxation' pool, and B2 over the activity (kids) pool - B1 top floor is all SVO offices - hugh space - more than WKORV (why they wouldn't put these guys on the 1st is beyond me) - if you were to take all those 4th floor rooms (times 52 weeks times ~$30K average they could have sold for - since WKV is sold out) - and thats a lot of bucks! Nice presentation area - though. B4 overlooks the common area (morning sun). B3, B5 and one side of B6 face north over GC,and the other side of B6 and B7 face west (theses get afternoon sun - and sunsets!)

Last edited:

dcdowden

TUG Member
Reaction score
We were at WKV last week and took the tour. They tried to sell us a Cancun Studio (44K SO's) for $18K with 90K SP's and told us they would requalify our resale 2BR Plat L/O at WKV to get us to 3* Elite. Our sales person didn't push Princeville because of the very high maintenance fees - about double WKV, and we told him that we would never buy in Orlando, because it is such an easy trade.
Doug

dcdowden

TUG Member
Reaction score
If you have time while at WKV, you might want to check out the Verde Canyon Railroad - www.verdecanyonrr.com. We met a couple at a spring training game last week that told us about it, and we are definitely going to do that trip when we return next March.
Doug

DavidnRobin

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV OFD (Maui)
WPORV (Kauai)
WSJ-VGV (St. John)
WKV (Scottsdale)
Day 6 - Rain stops Spring Training game - I wonder how rare that is? We had a good time though - Scottsdale Stadium is pretty. Parked close by and walked in - no problem. It started really pouring and Lightning/Thunder - Boom. We went to the Scottsdale Fashion Mall - not my idea... (Robin's and my Mom's) but interesting news for us Heavenly Bed Lovers - Noordstrom sells them - AND - they will have them for 25% off in July - so if you can wait...? pretty good deal - they will ship for $200. A Cal King (what we own) with Box Spring is $1450 (not bad for a mattress set). It is actually a Simmons Beautyrest. Anyway - I am sold. Everytime I go to our TSs - my back stops hurting. Maybe it is because I am relaxed, but maybe the bed also- maybe a bit both.

It is cold here - high 60s, but wet (liquid sunshine as they call it here). Going to a restaurant tonite with the folks. Not sure which place yet.

Anyone want a used mattress? Very nice, but too soft. Pick-up in July is SF Bay Area... :)

ciscogizmo1

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott: Shadow Ridge, Timber Lodge & Waiohai
Westin: Westin Ka'anapali Ocean Villas
Disney: Beach Club Villas & Bay Lake Towers
We went to the Scottsdale Fashion Mall - not my idea... (Robin's and my Mom's) but interesting news for us Heavenly Bed Lovers - Noordstrom sells them - AND - they will have them for 25% off in July - so if you can wait...? pretty good deal - they will ship for $200. A Cal King (what we own) with Box Spring is $1450 (not bad for a mattress set). It is actually a Simmons Beautyrest. Anyway - I am sold. Everytime I go to our TSs - my back stops hurting. Maybe it is because I am relaxed, but maybe the bed also- maybe a bit both.

We bought our bed at Nordstrom too in July, too. LOL...

mesamirage

TUG Member
Reaction score
Day 6 - Rain stops Spring Training game - I wonder how rare that is? We had a good time though - Scottsdale Stadium is pretty. Parked close by and walked in - no problem. It started really pouring and Lightning/Thunder - Boom. We went to the Scottsdale Fashion Mall - not my idea... (Robin's and my Mom's) but interesting news for us Heavenly Bed Lovers - Noordstrom sells them - AND - they will have them for 25% off in July - so if you can wait...? pretty good deal - they will ship for $200. A Cal King (what we own) with Box Spring is $1450 (not bad for a mattress set). It is actually a Simmons Beautyrest. Anyway - I am sold. Everytime I go to our TSs - my back stops hurting. Maybe it is because I am relaxed, but maybe the bed also- maybe a bit both.

It is cold here - high 60s, but wet (liquid sunshine as they call it here). Going to a restaurant tonite with the folks. Not sure which place yet.

Anyone want a used mattress? Very nice, but too soft. Pick-up in July is SF Bay Area... :)

David,

Congrats on the bed choice! It REALLY is the bed that makes a difference! As in my prev post we purchased ours ~2 years ago and its as fantastic to sleep on today as the first day. It is totally amazing... you forget until you sleep on a different bed. I can't say enough, its actually part of the reason we chose Westin/Sheratons for our timeshares.

Steve

As a local Phoenician sorry about the rain... one of our 20 days of rain we get a year... but when it shows up in has a bit of fury!

DavidnRobin

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV OFD (Maui)
WPORV (Kauai)
WSJ-VGV (St. John)
WKV (Scottsdale)
David,

Congrats on the bed choice! It REALLY is the bed that makes a difference! As in my prev post we purchased ours ~2 years ago and its as fantastic to sleep on today as the first day. It is totally amazing... you forget until you sleep on a different bed. I can't say enough, its actually part of the reason we chose Westin/Sheratons for our timeshares.

Steve

As a local Phoenician sorry about the rain... one of our 20 days of rain we get a year... but when it shows up in has a bit of fury!
Yeah - We may not wait until July.

It is really raining - wow!

DavidnRobin

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV OFD (Maui)
WPORV (Kauai)
WSJ-VGV (St. John)
WKV (Scottsdale)
Stopped raining - but cooled off :(

Folks spent the nite - they found the pull-out queen comfortable enough (they wouldn't take the Heavenly bed). First breakfast of the trip (yum). They were commenting about the flashing green-light on the smoke alarm - I noticed this also - Robin told me to close my eyes. :)

Off to Mesa - Cubs/Giants - hopefully we won't get rained on - it poured for hours last night.

DavidnRobin

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV OFD (Maui)
WPORV (Kauai)
WSJ-VGV (St. John)
WKV (Scottsdale)
I'd better finish - we need to get checked out (although we got a late check-out) - we are bringing bad luck to our Giants - both blow out games - luckily Spring Training doesn't count Cub fans! lol

Cubs stadium in Mesa is okay, but Scottsdale stadium is much nicer - although the 'dogs' were better at Hoho.

On the way back we stopped at Rob & Stucky Interiors (just looking) - 140,000 sqft of high-end furniture - this is a must see place close to WKV (off of Kierland/Scottsdale Blvd) - you can get lost in this place. an end-table for $7000 - on sale! (beautiful though)

It has chilled down - looks like no more pool time sadly. Followed-up with our TS finale. Yes, we bought EOY WPORV, but we were able to get odd year usage - they were selling EY and EOY (even) - this didn't work for us and started to leave, but wait!!! :) Looks like they will sell us EOY odd afterall - done (check out other thread - I promise I will finish). For those who can't wait. Requaled our EY WKORV OF, got 180K SPs - and now we our 3*Elite (yes, I know it doesn't get much, but the biggee is bringing our WKORV OF into SVO/SVN).

Went to the high-end fish restaurant 'The Ocean Club' at Kierland Commons - yummy - lobster mash potatoes (a few months off our lives in one bowl), stone crab claws (yum, but messy), clam chowder (probably the best we have ever had), and Orange Roughy - we split it all so it wasn'y so bad cost wise. They wouldn't allow us to finish open our last bottle of wine that we bought (2004 Turley Zinfandel - Ueberroth) - Oh well we will have to wait until we get home - speaking of - better start packing.

Westin Kierland Villas is a great resort - for those who bought here - good purchase (resale or not).

Last edited:

Kildahl

TUG Member
Reaction score
I'd better finish ........ Yes, we bought EOY WPORV, but we were able to get odd year usage - they were selling EY and EOY (even) - this didn't work for us and started to leave, but wait!!! :) Looks like they will sell us EOY odd afterall - done (check out other thread - I promise I will finish). For those who can't wait. Requaled our EY WKORV OF, got 180K SPs - and now we our 3*Elite (yes, I know it doesn't get much, but the biggee is bringing our WKORV OF into SVO/SVN)....... Oh well we will have to wait until we get home - speaking of - better start packing.

What a week and THANK YOU for sharing it with us. Congrats on WPORV!!
Please walk us through the significance of your odd/ even EOY decision.

Even though Princeville will not open until March or April of 2008, you will anty up the full purchase price( did you do Explorer? Can you use a Starwood gold card to pay any of the attendant costs?) now and presumably have star points for this purchase shortly which you can use immediately and in 2008?

When will your maintenance fees begin?

This past week will keep you working for a few more years.;)

DavidnRobin

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV OFD (Maui)
WPORV (Kauai)
WSJ-VGV (St. John)
WKV (Scottsdale)
11 hours to get home - we stopped for lunch (In/Out by Palm Springs) and dinner (Taco Bell at 5 and 41) - no traffic (even in LA) [we took 10-210-5-580] and travelled pretty fast - traffic was light, but saw 2 serious accidents (sadly) on the way home.

In looking back - we got lucky on our unit location (top floor corner of B7) - still think it is interesting that the room originally reserved (4 months ago) was really bad. I was joking with Robin - I wonder if (instead of charm...) I just slipped the kid a $20 would we have gotten a better unit location? Has anyone tried this - if this worked - could be good for those that reserved late - or had Elites ahead of them in pecking order.

We should have done more - but it was good to sleep and rest - and see the folks. As I said - WKV was great - looking forward to our return - but first WSJ and WKORV!

No - we are not 5* Elite - don't have enough vacation time. We are 3* Elite - don't need the benefits really, but the requal of our EY WKORV with an EOY WPORV - and it gives us a step towards 5* (4-5 years from now). We will have a possibility to requal our WKV resale to get to 4* and our WSJ to 5* - IF we ever need to - but in won't be for years. No more TS for usfor a while (honest)

The even/odd decision was based on the fact that we have 6 additional weeks of vacation in 2009 becuase our company gives us an additional 6 weeks once every 6 years - so even EOY doesn't work for us. But we have just paid for our 9 weeks off (6 weeks plus our normal 3 weeks)

MFs begin in 2009 (actually 2008 - due in 2009)

We did use the Explorer package - essentially 80K SPs for $99.

I will put detals in appropriate thread.