• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

WKORV-WPORV : stormy weather ahead?

DavidnRobin

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV OFD (Maui)
WPORV (Kauai)
WSJ-VGV (St. John)
WKV (Scottsdale)
So... another great week at WKORV - hot/humid. People complain about the wind there, but wind can be a relief. Never-the-less, almost every day at our beach compound (2 TB umbrellas, 4 TB chairs, and 2 boogie boards for $100 from MauiBabyRentals - delivered and picked up at the Bell Desk - the NoBlo umbrella tie-down and parasheet beach blankets - perfect...). The OFD villa continues to be great. Used both sides of the LO this year, and had friends with their two 9yo boys (twins... ;)). Worked out great having both sides connected by the foyer - wasted space? Nope - great for storage of beach compound (above).

Ended up in 2528/26 - B2 5th floor corner looking north over OF WKORVN B5. Originally had 3528/26 - which is likely a better location overlooking pool (north), but like the elevator in B2 by the OF villas - drops down to Basement - Workout Room, but importantly - close to the BBQs and beach access. We have been on 5-6th floors by calling at the 12 month mark - this was 1st stay using on-line reservation. First time on this corner and noticed how close to WKORVN it is compared to the other corners. There is quite an expanse between the south resort buildings as compared to the north buildings. Our friends noticed this as well when over at the north side pools (south pool was closed for 4hrs due to leaky pool diaper - yuck). Kids liked the south pool much more.

Anyway - didn't do much other than relaxing on the beach. Great spot on beach in front of B2 - separated by Westin beach spots on both sides.

Lunchtime...

Last edited:

DavidnRobin

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV OFD (Maui)
WPORV (Kauai)
WSJ-VGV (St. John)
WKV (Scottsdale)
Another great lunch made by my lovely wife...

Anyway... not much on WKORV/N front as we really didn't do much. Saw lots of turtles. Lots of kids as we rarely go during School Break, and a bit more crowded and busy.
Got to meet a Tugger (emuyshondt) and wife (always great to meet other Tuggers) - gave them our left over stuff - amazingly we went through most of the food and alcohol bought at Costco and Safeway.
Wild caught Salmon at Costco - $10 per pound. Also Maui Brewing Co - Big Swell for $8.50/6-pack. Costco gas for rental return. $16/day Maui County Occupancy (SUCKS!) for 2Bd OFD (based on sqft)

and like always - sunsets are like snowflakes - no two the same

If I could only figure out what happened to my PhotoStream - I will post some photos.

Last edited:

gregb

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORN
Glad you had a great time. We will be on the North side in 3 weeks. Turned two weeks of studio into StarOptions and got 12 nights in a one bedroom. It will be interesting to see where we end up, as we have always used our OF home priority before.

Greg

DavidnRobin

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV OFD (Maui)
WPORV (Kauai)
WSJ-VGV (St. John)
WKV (Scottsdale)
Too bad to miss you - such a great resort. Started to pour after we left - so lucky there.
As I said - really didn't do much other than hang at resort - snorkel and pool for boys.
Can't complain about 5th floor OFD, but the other corners are better (IMO) - more expanse looking out.

Here at WPORV - so different than Kaanapali. Generally quiet - I has switch to the studio prior to the 1 Bd at about 11 months. Ended up in B6 2nd Floor HH section. Again can't complain, but prefer B7 location. The biggest downside is that I happen to above smokers - whose general idea of vacation is too drink heavily, talk too loudly, and chain smoke- sad, disgusting addiction. Security came to tell them that they can't smoke on the lanai - so now they are all smoking over by the B6 gazebo (where they are also not suppose to be smoking either...), but at least I can't smell the stink. Woke up the 1st morning and guy below is smoking a cigar - nice... screw fresh air...

Anyway... Nice to get HH section - hope I can get them to move me to B7 HH section this Saturaday - I have a great timestamp for 2nd week.

Going for a 1:1 session (no gift points - no spouse) with Sales on Friday unless I cancel. Perhaps I can get some info interspersed with misinfo. The Owners Update gift is 5000 SPs, or $100 gift for use on-site or St Regis, or buy 1 get 1 massage free. I am going to pass - Robin doesn't want to go thru same trio of BS (sales, manager, explorer package) and fuzzy math.

Been raining hard in south Kauai - just mild in north Kauai. Too cloudy for photos yet - will post when up to it.

Last edited:

Sugarcubesea

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
QH, HBC, VBHC, & Pinestead Reef
David, is that price for the week or day for MauiBabyRentals ?

So... another great week at WKORV - hot/humid. People complain about the wind there, but wind can be a relief. Never-the-less, almost every day at our beach compound (2 TB umbrellas, 4 TB chairs, and 2 boogie boards for $100 from MauiBabyRentals - delivered and picked up at the Bell Desk - the NoBlo umbrella tie-down and parasheet beach blankets - perfect...). The OFD villa continues to be great. Used both sides of the LO this year, and had friends with their two 9yo boys (twins... ;)). Worked out great having both sides connected by the foyer - wasted space? Nope - great for storage of beach compound (above).

Ended up in 2528/26 - B2 5th floor corner looking north over OF WKORVN B5. Originally had 3528/26 - which is likely a better location overlooking pool (north), but like the elevator in B2 by the OF villas - drops down to Basement - Workout Room, but importantly - close to the BBQs and beach access. We have been on 5-6th floors by calling at the 12 month mark - this was 1st stay using on-line reservation. First time on this corner and noticed how close to WKORVN it is compared to the other corners. There is quite an expanse between the south resort buildings as compared to the north buildings. Our friends noticed this as well when over at the north side pools (south pool was closed for 4hrs due to leaky pool diaper - yuck). Kids liked the south pool much more.

Anyway - didn't do much other than relaxing on the beach. Great spot on beach in front of B2 - separated by Westin beach spots on both sides.

Lunchtime...

triangulum33

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
2005 WKORN
Thanks for the tip!
We just booked an umbrella, 2 chairs, 1 board and sand toys for 13 days for $100.

GregT

TUG Member
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott: Maui Ocean Club Lahaina Villas (3BRx5), Ko Olina, Shadow Ridge II, Willow Ridge, Aruba Ocean Club, DC Points HGVC: Flamingo, Sea World, I-Drive, Starwood Bella (x4), SDO, TradeWinds, Worldmark
2 TB Umbrellas, 4 TB chairs, 2 Boogie Boards for $100/week

That's a great tip, thank you! Enjoy your trip!

(I thought you were a September WPORV guy??) You're early!

Best,

Greg

Sugarcubesea

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
QH, HBC, VBHC, & Pinestead Reef
2 TB Umbrellas, 4 TB chairs, 2 Boogie Boards for $100/week

Wow, that is a great price for all of that…and I love that they pick up and deliver… We will be staying at SOK and I’m hopeful that they will deliver there as well.

DavidnRobin

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV OFD (Maui)
WPORV (Kauai)
WSJ-VGV (St. John)
WKV (Scottsdale)
That's a great tip, thank you! Enjoy your trip!

(I thought you were a September WPORV guy??) You're early!

Best,

Greg

I am, but went with friends with kids to WKORV - and knocked schedule off.

KACTravels

TUG Member
Reaction score
Going for a 1:1 session (no gift points - no spouse) with Sales on Friday unless I cancel. Perhaps I can get some info interspersed with misinfo. The Owners Update gift is 5000 SPs, or $100 gift for use on-site or St Regis, or buy 1 get 1 massage free. I am going to pass - Robin doesn't want to go thru same trio of BS (sales, manager, explorer package) and fuzzy math.

If you do go: Hi David, could you please ask about the future access to the St Regis Beach? While at WSJ they attempted to get us to trade up our EOY WPORV to some combination of villas at WSJ and used the uncertainty of the access in the future as a reason to consider it. They said a group from China bought it and may stop the access. Could you please get the scoop from WPORV? Thanks

Last edited:

LisaRex

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Used to own: WKORV-N; SVV - Bella
If you do go: Hi David, could you please ask about the future access to the St Regis Beach? While at WSJ they attempted to get us to trade up our EOY WPORV to some combination of villas at WSJ and used the uncertainty of the access in the future as a reason to consider it. They said a group from China bought it and may stop the access. Could you please get the scoop from WPORV? Thanks

I wouldn't worry about beach access. As in the case of most states that border the ocean, the beach is considered public domain and Hawaii will not allow anyone, including celebrities or private developers, to restrict access. In fact, all beach front resorts are required to provide x number of parking spaces for those who wish to access the beach. So while a new owner at St. Regis could certainly cut off any reciprocity agreements between the two resorts, they won't be able to cut off beach access.

sjsharkie

TUG Member
Reaction score
I wouldn't worry about beach access. As in the case of most states that border the ocean, the beach is considered public domain and Hawaii will not allow anyone, including celebrities or private developers, to restrict access. In fact, all beach front resorts are required to provide x number of parking spaces for those who wish to access the beach. So while a new owner at St. Regis could certainly cut off any reciprocity agreements between the two resorts, they won't be able to cut off beach access.
Lisa is right, BUT the public access parking is tiny at the St. Regis. It is woefully inadequate for local demand to use the beach and fills up quickly in the mornings. Remember, people use it to access both Puu Poa (St. Regis) and Pali Ke Kua (Hideaways) beaches.

So, if access was cut off, I assume the shuttle service between WPORV and St. Regis would cease as well. You would then be stuck with valeting your car and subject to the St. Regis parking rates -- not sure what regulations there around controlling prices for overflow parking but they could charge whatever they want in absence of any laws.

I think it is a fair concern to consider the relationship between WPORV and St. Regis before purchasing.

-ryan

LisaH

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Another issue if access to St Regis is discontinued: public path to St Regis Beach has almost 200 steps, vs. legitimately taking St Regis' elevator down to the beach. Much easier if you ask me :)

wilma

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Red Wolf Lakeside Lodge, Hanalei Bay Resort, Sweetbriar Lake tahoe, Marriott Canyon Villas, Hyatt High Sierra, Point at Poipu

When we were staying at Hanalei Bay Resort in July the manager told us that the St Regis will be re-branded as another hotel group by the new owners. Besides the lack of parking and easy access to the St Regis, we also enjoy sitting in the lounge chairs and using the beach while staying at WPORV.

DavidnRobin

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV OFD (Maui)
WPORV (Kauai)
WSJ-VGV (St. John)
WKV (Scottsdale)
Anything coming from someone with a vested interest (eg Sales, Tuggers, etc...) has to be taken in perspective of their bias.

WPORV pays for St Regis access and shuttle in our MFs - WPORV guests bring $$ to St Regis - $$ will likely always be the main consideration for continued access.

If I go - I will ask. Since this is a voluntary meeting - I can cancel w/o penalty since no incentive is given.

DavidnRobin

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV OFD (Maui)
WPORV (Kauai)
WSJ-VGV (St. John)
WKV (Scottsdale)
So... Finally had a chance to drop photos - soon come.

Been interesting here - very beautiful, but no wind until today so been muggy and hot - with occasional torrential downpours at night. Gets a lot of rain here, but mostly at night when it cools. Seas have been incredibly calm.

Much more crowded than the Sept months - more kids and what comes with them.
Hammerhead sections give great views, but lots of other units give good ocean views as well. Really something for every one, and WPORV is quite accomadating and friendly - within reason and very timestamp dependent.

Always have to chuckle when you hear on TUG - "but WPORV is not on a beach" when that would be virtually impossible in this area. WPORV is well situated on the cliffs with incredible views and luscious beauty. The grounds have come in beautifully.