• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

WKORV vs Westin Flex - Availablity at 12 months

KyleReilly

Reaction score
Hi There,

I have been looking at WKORV via resale, but now with Flex, I'm confused as to what is better. In a nutshell, I know that with Flex, I can only book at the Flex resorts, and there are no Star Options. For the most part, I want to stay at WKORV, but occasionally might want to transfer to the Westin Timeshare in Orlando. If I do Flex, I can't do this, so I'd have to live with that. However, I could transfer via Interval International, and would likely have luck?

My main concern is availability at 12 months. I've been reading these forums, and it seems like I'm hearing complaints about people logging in at 12:00 and 12:01 am, and not being able to book, while others can book. I'm trying to understand what has more availability, WKORV, or Flex? I know they are different trusts with different pools. So in theory, a bigger pool means a greater chance. It seems like sometimes, one could have Flex and get availability for WKORV, but I'm also seeing those with WKORV can sometimes get it at 12 months, but other times cannot, but a Flex person can. Which has more availability? Does the checking in Fri-Sun have any issues or impact that?

Outside if Flex, if I buy at WKORV, what about if I use my Home Options as Star Options at my home resort (8 months). If I use it at the 8 month period instead of 12 months, can I book and start my stay on a Monday stead of the typical Fri-Sun, or do I always have to start Fri-Sun at my home resort?

I have always wanted to stay at Nanea, but know they are 2 bedroom and 3 bedrooms, but they have lockoffs. With Flex, could I book a 1 bedroom or studio if someone didn't buy the full lockoff?

vacationtime1

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV-OF (Maui)
WKV x2 (Scottsdale)
Orlando is an easy trade via StarOptions. It is also an easy trade in Interval. It can often be obtained via Getaway for cheap. There is no need to consider Orlando in your Maui purchase.

No lockoffs at Nanea. There are a few one bedroom units there, but reports are that they get booked quickly.

Availability at WKORV is always better for WKORV owners than Flex owners and always will be. There is a one-to-one correspondence between the number of WKORV owners and the number of owned units (otherwise the resort would be fraudulently oversold). But the pool of Flex owners is larger than the number of Flex units at WKORV -- because Flex owners also own units at other resorts (the total number of Flex owners equals the total number of Flex units, but not all of the Flex units are at WKORV).

Last edited:

KyleReilly

Reaction score
Thank you Robert. That makes sense. I did a call with a salesperson, hence why I've been reading here, because they made it seem like Flex shared the same allotment and it didn't make any logical sense to me. I just wasn't sure if the split of users was similar or not. Overall, it sounds like WKORV is the way to go. I would be okay with Flex though since I could do WKORV and WKORV-North and Nanea. The reality is I might get 2 bedroom worth of points to be able to use a second week or vacation elsewhere; however, if Nana doesn't have many one-bedrooms, it seems like I couldn't do much there, so I would then have to hope I could get WKORV or WKORV-North. As long as I can get a one-bedroom in one of the 3 Maui resorts, I'm okay, but in general, it seems like even with 12 mo. booking window at all 3, I would likely have a less chance compared to buying at WKORV? It seems like the rule of thumb is to buy where you want to stay.

With that being said, would WKORV or WKORV-North be better? I've only stayed at South, but know they are both mandatory resorts.

vacationtime1

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV-OF (Maui)
WKV x2 (Scottsdale)
There are many threads here comparing North and South which you can find with the search function.

Basically, Ocean Front is better at South, although more expensive. One should never purchase Island View at South because many of the IV units there have parking lot views. If you don't care so much about views and don't expect to travel during prime season, buy a different mandatory resort (Sheraton Vistana Villages (Bella or Key West sections only) or Westin Kierland) and use the less expensive StarOptions to trade into North at 8 months.

robertk2012

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Sheraton Villages, Westin Kanapalli
There are many threads here comparing North and South which you can find with the search function.

Basically, Ocean Front is better at South, although more expensive. One should never purchase Island View at South because many of the IV units there have parking lot views. If you don't care so much about views and don't expect to travel during prime season, buy a different mandatory resort (Sheraton Vistana Villages (Bella or Key West sections only) or Westin Kierland) and use the less expensive StarOptions to trade into North at 8 months.

I don’t mind the island view at the south and you receive the same number of star options as an ocean view. It all depends on the price too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

KyleReilly

Reaction score
Got it - I like oceanfront, but there are so few oceanfront listing on resale, I'm thinking about ocean view. So it's either Ocean view at South or Ocean view at North.

DavidnRobin

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV OFD (Maui)
WPORV (Kauai)
WSJ-VGV (St. John)
WKV (Scottsdale)
Got it - I like oceanfront, but there are so few oceanfront listing on resale, I'm thinking about ocean view. So it's either Ocean view at South or Ocean view at North.

IMO either, as long as you are reserving exactly 12 (or 8) months in advance.
Time stamp equals location in HI.
(At least it has for years).
I find WKORV more open (and full of light) since B2-B3 are so far apart. Look at overhead view on Google Maps.
But the 2 resorts are close together - the bar at WKORVN is better located.
Nanea does nothing for me.
Then, there the foyer vs not between south and north.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

rcv82

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SMV
WKORV (OFD)
Westin Flex
MVC Trust
GTL
GP8
CWA
Back to the question on Flex vs WKORV S/N: I own both Flex and WKORV OFD. From my personal experience, the Flex inventory is quite limited at the two WKORV properties, definitely NOT the same pool of inventory for 8-12 months out. Also you don’t know what view you will get (ocean view or island) until it is assigned, presumably by time stamp. The one advantage is that when something is available, you can book up to 14 nights in one reservation and/or start midweek. Nanea has lots of Flex inventory since much of it has been sold originally as Flex. If you are quick on the draw you may be able to get a one bedroom, but there aren’t very many.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk