• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

WKORV Rental Success

rocky

TUG Member
Reaction score
I know how our board loves to hear about what people paid for their units, what they rented their units for, etc. So I'm reporting that I just rented my 2bdrm lockoff on craigslist for $2750 for mid-May. I think it was somewhat underpriced based on the other postings on Craigslist...... but whatever. I can't go, and $2750 is $2750. It's better than taking the 80K points.

Cheers!

Pedro

TUG Member
Reaction score
Not a bad price at all, although the cost of the accomodations you can get with 80k starpoints can be around the same price. How long did it take you to rent the unit?

rocky

TUG Member
Reaction score
It took about 24 hours. With the recent devaluation of Starpoints, I don't think I could have gotten $2750 worth of hotel accomodations. And then there is the whole 300K starpoint balance I already have that I can't seem to use. This way, I can take points next year if we decide not to use Starwood for vacation. And hopefully by then my balance will need replenishing.

It was a hail mary pass before converting to starpoints. I looked at the listings on Craigslist, found one I liked and copied it with a few paragraphs of my own at the top and posted it with two pictures of the bedroom and living room from starwoodvo.com. It took five minutes.

We bought a beach villa in Puerto Vallarta that we rent and I spend all my time going back and forth to meet with the decorator whenever we don't have guests..... which is not very often. One day here, two days there.... it's a lot of scattered hopping around, but well worth it. We are not going to Maui so that I can take two straight weeks and get every last little detail taken care of. Hopefully things will calm down in the next six months and I can go somewhere new next year! I am really excited for the Princeville to come online......

Last edited:

ciscogizmo1

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott: Shadow Ridge, Timber Lodge & Waiohai
Westin: Westin Ka'anapali Ocean Villas
Disney: Beach Club Villas & Bay Lake Towers
That's excellant. I'm impressed. I tried renting one Marriott week for the 1st time and I'm not having much success. I never thought of listing on Craiglist. I'll have to check out their prices.

LisaH

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Rocky,

Which Craigslist did you use to rent your Hawaii timeshare? I'm trying to rent my summer week in Maui but have no luck so far on redweek.com. I also live in the Bay area...

Denise L

Tug Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Starwood/Vistana, Disney, Hyatt, HGVC
I know how our board loves to hear about what people paid for their units, what they rented their units for, etc. So I'm reporting that I just rented my 2bdrm lockoff on craigslist for $2750 for mid-May. I think it was somewhat underpriced based on the other postings on Craigslist...... but whatever. I can't go, and $2750 is $2750. It's better than taking the 80K points.

Cheers!

rocky,

You are right, $2750 is $2750! Congrats!

Ocean view or Island View? Did you book it during your owner period or afterward?

LauraS93

Reaction score
Craigslist is FREE!! :banana: You can't get better than that.

I've listed my week on a few different Craiglist's: the one in the city where it is located, then locally, then near the town where I had a successful renter last year.

No luck yet however. :doh: :annoyed:

rocky

TUG Member
Reaction score
rocky,

You are right, $2750 is $2750! Congrats!

Ocean view or Island View? Did you book it during your owner period or afterward?

I had booked Oct 6th during my owner period..... to avoid the crowds. I posted that week on Craigslist, but said I could try for other weeks. They were interested in May, and I was able to make a switch to May for them. We own OV. I posted on the SF Bay Area Craigslist, because it's where I live, and because a lot of people seem to know about WKORV around here. In fact, these renters had been on a tour at WKORV, and did just not want to spend all the money to buy there...... which is totally understandable.

LisaRex

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Used to own: WKORV-N; SVV - Bella
I'll either be renting out or attempting to direct exchange my unit at WKORV-N during odd years. This is good information. My thought was booking a week in the summer as soon as my 12 month window opened and then offering my 2bdrm OF lockout for around $3400 - significantly less than Westin is quoting but enough to cover MF x 2. Of course I don't want to price it too high.

Do you have a link for the ad you used? I'd like to use it for reference if you don't mind.

Thanks for the info!

DavidnRobin

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV OFD (Maui)
WPORV (Kauai)
WSJ-VGV (St. John)
WKV (Scottsdale)
Thought that this thread would be the best place to post this even though it was being discussed in another thread.

I am in the process of renting the studio-side of an OF Deluxe (WKORV) and everything so far has gone smoothly.

I had only posted this on TUG classifieds - in October - and got the normal cons trying to scam me (ain't going to happen - move on...). I made it very clear that I would only deal with the party renting, and they had to be in the US. I had already reserved it 12 months out (Labor Day week) - and planned to start more aggressively trying to rent it once the 6-month point hit on TUG (previous ad had expired), RedWeek, and CraigsList (Bay Area).

I had a couple who contacted me in Nov/Dec about the unit - seemed sincere - sent a link to photos - stated my conditions - but didn't hear back from them.

They recently contacted me back - and my first thought was 'scam', but it turned out that they had just solidified their plans. OK. But, at this point I had decided I would only use PayPal from a verified PayPal account because it gives some level of protection to the renter and owner. They were fine with that so we went forward. btw, we were okay with using the studio during Labor Day week if it went unrented. We just did not want to get into hassles with flakes - not worth our while (too busy).

Anyway - we agreed on a price - $1700 for the week - I may have been able to get more, but we (and they) thought that this was a fair price. Remember that this is OF Deluxe and is in front of the building (closest to the ocean), great light, and has a true balcony (the unit is ~500sqft and the lanai is ~100sqft). We created a rental contract together capturing what they wanted (they have rented their TSs before) and what we wanted (1st time, but we researched it on TUG - using a few of the templates in the advice section).

The contact has us both signing the rental contract - me forwarding the SVO reservation confirmation to them to show that unit type and week reserved in our name. They then sent a 50% deposit to my PayPal account (done), and I will transfer the reservation in their name (tomorrow). The rest of the payment will be sent 3 months in advance. If they fail to follow-thru, then we keep the deposit (and I will transfer the reservation back in my name). I guess if they were trying to pull anything - they could attempt to show-up with a copy of the reservation in their name, but that would be futile. Besides - we spoke over the phone a few times (and I researched them on Google) so my BS meter is close to zero.

So with the 2007 MFs (w/o SVN fees) of ~$1950 - we almost paid for these. PayPal is charging $50 (yikes!), but worth the hassle. Overall - it went smoothly - the big thing is that we were able to use it if we couldn't rent it - so it is all good.

Last edited:

rocky

TUG Member
Reaction score
for those curious about Craigslist..... after the initial success I had renting our unit, I received an two additional inquiries from people that are very interested in renting our OV 2bdrm lockoff. So much so, they are both waiting to see if anything happens to our original deal..... (which is fine). So once again, Craigslist is working well for us.

DavidnRobin

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV OFD (Maui)
WPORV (Kauai)
WSJ-VGV (St. John)
WKV (Scottsdale)
for those curious about Craigslist..... after the initial success I had renting our unit, I received an two additional inquiries from people that are very interested in renting our OV 2bdrm lockoff. So much so, they are both waiting to see if anything happens to our original deal..... (which is fine). So once again, Craigslist is working well for us.

I use CL all the time (not for TSs) - one caution is that you really have to worry about potential scams, and definitely more flakes (since it is free).

rocky

TUG Member
Reaction score
I use CL all the time (not for TSs) - one caution is that you really have to worry about potential scams, and definitely more flakes (since it is free).

agreed...... we only use PayPal verified buyers when using Craigslist (like discussed above for the OF studio rental.) But if you take reasonable caution, it's very viable. We use it for a lot. Buy a lot of random crap like treadmills, etc. off the fabulous Clist!