• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

WKORV Ocean View vs Graden View

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Flex
We just finished a great vacation to Maui and stayed in an ocean front studio villa at WKORVN. We are now preparing a trip for next February with the family in a 2-bedroom villa and want to make reservations at any of the three Vistanna/Westin properties. Right now, it looks like oceanfront wont be available in February. So that leaves us with Ocean View or Garden View. At WKORV, garden view can be horrible. It doesn't appear that they make a distinction between Ocean View and Garden View when booking online. How do you know what you are reserving?

dioxide45

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
I beleive there are only two views at the north, south and Nanea propertie; Oceanfront and Resort View. If you book Resort View, you may or may not get some view of the ocean. At the South property, you could very well have a parking lot view. The only way to guaranty an ocean view is to book Oceanfront.

vacationtime1

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV-OF (Maui)
WKV x2 (Scottsdale)
WKORV has three views: OF, OV, and IV. Same for WKORVN (different proportions of each category, different qualities of views, and no horrible IV units at North). It is Nanea that has only OF and Resort views.

If you cannot reserve OF through the website, it is based on availability.

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Flex
WKORV has three views: OF, OV, and IV. Same for WKORVN (different proportions of each category, different qualities of views, and no horrible IV units at North). It is Nanea that has only OF and Resort views.

My biggest concern is I do not want Island View at WKORV as these can be really horrible (Highway, Parking lot, etc). So it seems the only way to avoid this is to avoid WKORV all together?

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Club Wyndham CWA

The problems is that using StarOptions, you can only book Oceanfront or Resort View. So there is no way to guaranty an Ocean View when using StarOptions. You will be placed in either IV or OV. Chances are in February, you are going to get IV since there will also be a lot of owners on home resort stays with earlier reservation dates/times that will get a higher preference. If you are placed in OV, it probably won't be the best one on the property

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Club Wyndham CWA
My biggest concern is I do not want Island View at WKORV as these can be really horrible (Highway, Parking lot, etc). So it seems the only way to avoid this is to avoid WKORV all together?
Just avoid the South property. It is said that the North property doesn't have the bad IV views that the south does.

LisaRex

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Used to own: WKORV-N; SVV - Bella
Using SOs, I booked 3 days at WKORV "resort" view for my Dec 2015 trip. It was to complement to a weekly direct exchange at WKORV so that I could extend my time on Maui. Originally I booked north, but then decided to risk south with the hope that I could remain in the same villa the whole time, instead of checking out on Saturday at 10am and having to wait til 4pm to check back in. Well, that plan didn't work as we had to change rooms (and what a royal pain that is), however, both times, I was upgraded to a deluxe OF room.

My advice: If you're traveling in low season, and book well ahead of your travel dates, I'd go ahead and book WKORV. SO exchangers are supposedly assigned based on first come/first serve. You probably won't get upgraded to OF anymore (because you can guarantee OF with points now), but I doubt you'll get the parking lot view.

However, if you're traveling in high season, or well within the exchange window, I'd target north just so that I wouldn't risk getting the parking lot view.

Last edited:

Dawnwrey

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORVN, WSJ-CV
We own IV at WKORVN and, as owners booking at 12 months, have always had a nice view with a slice of ocean in it. However, we don't think any of the IV units have a bad view there.

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Club Wyndham CWA
However, if you're traveling in high season, or well within the exchange window, I'd target north just so that I wouldn't risk getting the parking lot view
The OP is planning to travel in February. Ultra Peak Season! They may even have trouble just scoring the SO reservation?

LisaRex

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Used to own: WKORV-N; SVV - Bella
The OP is planning to travel in February. Ultra Peak Season! They may even have trouble just scoring the SO reservation?

Oh, duh. Didn't see that. Thanks! Yeah, that'll be a very tough exchange. I'd do a search on all 3 properties and take what I could get. I'd even consider breaking it up into a 1 bdrm and studio exchange separately, with the hopes of getting in. February is hard to book for owners.

P.S. And once again, look at II Getaways, too. Resorts that didn't used to be available on II are showing a presence, albeit usually with just 1 bdrm and studios.

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Flex
Thanks to everyone for the insight. Normally I would be fine with booking a different time, but with the family, we are kind of stuck with February. So we will just book at WKORVN to be sure we don't have a view of the parking lot.

bizaro86

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks to everyone for the insight. Normally I would be fine with booking a different time, but with the family, we are kind of stuck with February. So we will just book at WKORVN to be sure we don't have a view of the parking lot.

I would make the decision of whether you're willing to take wkorv or not go in advance, as you night not have a choice...

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
It will be difficult to get a Staroption reservation in Feb. - especially if you are trying for President's week. You will need to try to make it as soon as the reservation window opens, and you will want to be flexible about which resort you accept.