• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

WKORV Observations

shade

TUG Member
Reaction score
We have been here 10 days with seven to go. Our room assignments have been very good. Studio on arrival 3620. We are now in one bedroom 2611. Great views for both from 6th floors. I have been surprised at the number of children here. They are really enjoying the pool. Everyone is mostly very mask conscious.

Only single elevator usage unless family. Never have to wait long though. Sanitizer everywhere. Parking in both underground facilities has been very available. Only twice have we had to park outside. Pailolo has been crowded. Went just once and had a 20 minute wait for a table. Food just ok.

Enjoyed Dukes for dinner. We had a discount of $20 on the purchase of a $100 coupon before our trip. No longer available, I believe. Java Jazz has been our go to breakfast place. We have friends that operate it that we have visited for 18 years. Early bird special $8 before 8 am; scrambled eggs, large pancake, and bacon. Honolua market in Kapalua is a good place to eat and do light shopping. Breakfast burrito really good for $10. Extensive menu for reasonable prices. Very friendly staff. Mostly shopped at Safeway to get discounts. Weather has been very good except for two rainy and windy days. Had Cap'n Steve's whale watch postponed to yesterday. Sailed with maybe just nine people. Pleasant trip. Tonight Hula Girl dinner cruise. Always great to be able to just order as little or as much as you want with really tasty food.

Unfortunately, we have had a couple of maintenance issues with our rooms. The refrigerator in studio had to be replaced and it didn't work well either. Last night it appears there is a leak on the floor between bedroom and bathroom, maybe from the tub? Possibly age is catching up to the villas?

One suggestion is not to rent a Camaro hardtop when you are over 70. Just wanted to once. Well, getting in and out is a real chore not just for me, but for my daughter getting in and out of the back seat. Trying to look cool just doesn't work. I should have known that. Luggage is another problem.

Flight over on Alaska Air was good. First class 11/12 seats taken. Just fruit/cheese plate for lunch. My daughter was in economy. There were only about 15 people there so she had the whole row to herself.

Check in at resort was longer than anticipated. Needed to provide various codes provided from Covid testing procedure and Hawaiian government requirements. Just do it.

No valet but baggage assistance available. Just met John at the front as we were leaving. We have known each other for 16 years.
We did do the Owners Update, or whatever they call it now. Woman was very nice and competent. At the end they offered a one bedroom every year at the south for $25k including my purchase price for studio every odd year at Lagunamar. Other benefits thrown in like Marriott points. They consider points worth 1.2 cents when .5 more realistic. Politely said no. Got 20,000 points. At least in 4 weeks.

So, it is beautiful in Maui and the resort, though less lively and inconvenient without all the restaurants, is still a great place to be. For tennis players, the court is being resurfaced so not available for a few more days. In the interim free play at the Royal Lahaina is offered. My wife plays all the time.
Aloha

Last edited by a moderator:

controller1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin KORVN OF
Westin Nanea OF
Westin FLEX
Pailolo has been crowded. Went just once and had a 20 minute wait for a table.

Sounds like an indication it is time for management to open Auntie's Kitchen.

We did do the Owners Update, or whatever they call it now. . . . They consider points worth 1.2 cents when .5 more realistic.

ROFL - No one but Marriott values them more than .7¢ and that is only when they are marketing them. To prove that point Marriott just devalued the points required when renting their Homes & Villas properties and the points required are now worth 0.6¢ each, when renting those properties, which is what I am now valuing them.

zentraveler

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Four Seasons Residence Club
Sounds like an indication it is time for management to open Auntie's Kitchen.

We are here now and have had similar experiences. I went to Pailolo once about 4 pm and there was a long line and have not wanted to bother since then. It also seemed that everyone was eating on paper plates, but I could be wrong. We are in 3406 right above Auntie's kitchen so we are rather happy it is not open . Star Noodle is open for reservations only and they are doing a brisk business so worth thinking ahead. The new location is lovely but sadly still not enough parking and very tight spaces. The parking garage in building 3 has been a breeze for parking as has been the outside lot. Clearly they are about half full.

Our flight on United was 8/8 in first and about half full in economy. QR scanning at OGG was easy but inexplicably Hertz and the Westin to not use QR readers (or phones) so be prepared to sign in to your Safe Travels website and let them read the language below the QR code.

The staff has been very accommodating and the resort is primarily quiet (although kids in the pools) and everyone is masked. My only minor suggestion regarding the unit (ours is in good condition) is that our sheets and towels seem to have been around for quite some time and are showing their age.

One additional note, due to covid they are not making any room changes at all. No upgrades (even paid) unless they are arranged ahead of time and no changes once you get here. We were bothered by the highway noise at first but it has been fine and only is audible during "rush hour".

Last edited:

Negma

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
DVC Boardwalk WKV WMH WKORVN SVR Harborside 5* and spoiled
Thank you, One week from today! 1st vaccine shot tomorrow! Was it easy to reserve tennis court at Royal Hawaiian?

Henry M.

TUG Member
Reaction score
I have had a great time so far. I'm in a ground floor unit at WKORV-N and it works very well for us. No hallways or elevators to deal with. Just step out from the lanai and go to the beach or wherever we want. We don't use the pool at all

We don't go much to restaurants, but did enjoy Star Noodle, Sansei and Frida's when we went. We also like Paia Fish Market in Lāhainā. Mostly we step out the lanai to go cook at the grills near building 8. We've cooked lots of steak and seafood.

Sansei has 50% off Sundays and Mondays from 5:00 to 5:30 (doors open at 4:45). The kama'aina rate is for everybody these days.

We've extended our stay a couple of times. I could definitely live here. Working from home has worked out for me, once my vacation ended.

Tucsonadventurer

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hyatt Pinon Pointe, Hyatt Beach House, Westin Kierland
We have gone at multiple times this week to the restaurant at north and have had no issues getting seats. They have added multiple tables. You do have to go up and order and they bring the food out

zentraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Went by Pailolo today in the afternoon and it looked fine; ditto for Duke's. I arrived on a Sunday of MLK weekend so the long line may have been an anomaly.

Last edited:

Negma

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
FYI
California man bit by shark in Kaanapali
A 73-year-old California man suffered lacerations to his calf this morning after an apparent shark bite at Kaanapali beach, fire officials said. The man who was snorkeling around 40 yards off shore fronting the Westin Kaanapali Ocean Resort, ...

sjlola

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORVN OF EYx5, 5* Elite
FYI
California man bit by shark in Kaanapali
A 73-year-old California man suffered lacerations to his calf this morning after an apparent shark bite at Kaanapali beach, fire officials said. The man who was snorkeling around 40 yards off shore fronting the Westin Kaanapali Ocean Resort, ...
Swimmer is ok; drove himself to the hospital. Attack is the big topic of conversation at the pool today. Happened in front of South property; ocean is restricted from entry from Black Rock to Honokowai Beach Park until noon on Saturday.

Negma

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Also just got off the phone with Dukes, closed for the next 10 days due to a couple of positive tests with employees. Only good news from now on from me.

HHDutchy

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Keirland
Westin Aventuras
Also just got off the phone with Dukes, closed for the next 10 days due to a couple of positive tests with employees. Only good news from now on from me.

Wow - we had Dukes Wednesday night! It was delicious.

zentraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned

I can attest to this. I went by on my morning walk today and every though their website show absolutely no sign of this (make a reservation!) and the signs out front also show that they are open, they are quite shuttered up.

Tucsonadventurer

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Thanks for the heads up. We planned to go this week.

Tucsonadventurer

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I have had a great time so far. I'm in a ground floor unit at WKORV-N and it works very well for us. No hallways or elevators to deal with. Just step out from the lanai and go to the beach or wherever we want. We don't use the pool at all

We don't go much to restaurants, but did enjoy Star Noodle, Sansei and Frida's when we went. We also like Paia Fish Market in Lāhainā. Mostly we step out the lanai to go cook at the grills near building 8. We've cooked lots of steak and seafood.

Sansei has 50% off Sundays and Mondays from 5:00 to 5:30 (doors open at 4:45). The kama'aina rate is for everybody these days.

We've extended our stay a couple of times. I could definitely live here. Working from home has worked out for me, once my vacation ended.
Which ground floor unit did you get. Last week we had a high floor ocean view we liked but we go back next week, and if we can't get a view I wouldn't mind a 1st floor. We had an ocean front 2 bedroom in bldg 8 one year and we absolutely loved it!!!!

Henry M.

TUG Member
Reaction score
I like any ground floor in bldg. 7 facing the grass beside bldg. 8. You walk straight out to the beach. I also wouldn't mind. any of the bldg 6 units facing the ponds (but not the pools). I'll be in my unit next week too!

Ken555

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Kierland
Sheraton Desert Oasis
I like any ground floor in bldg. 7 facing the grass beside bldg. 8. You walk straight out to the beach. I also wouldn't mind. any of the bldg 6 units facing the ponds (but not the pools). I'll be in my unit next week too!

Is it possible to now lock the door as you leave from the patio? I had a first floor unit years ago and we could not, so were not comfortable leaving the unit that way.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Tucsonadventurer

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
haha,thank you!! Appreciate the info

Henry M.

TUG Member
Reaction score
You can't lock the door if you go out the back. I don't mind it, though. I feel pretty safe at the resort. I've never had an issue with my room.

Henry M.

TUG Member
Reaction score
I like units 7171 to 7174 or so, depending if you're in a studio or 1BR. I also prefer the Blg 8 units looking out to the ocean rather than to the pool when in an ocean front room. Something like 8113 or 8114, I believe.

If I were coming for a week or two, Imight want a Hugh floor with a good view. For longer term stays, I like a ground floor with easy access to the grills and the beach.

triangulum33

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
2005 WKORN
One additional note, due to covid they are not making any room changes at all. No upgrades (even paid) unless they are arranged ahead of time and no changes once you get here. We were bothered by the highway noise at first but it has been fine and only is audible during "rush hour".
I called the front desk last week about upgrading or requesting building for our Feb 14 trip, and they told me they could not do anything until we checked in. :censored:

Tucsonadventurer

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I called the front desk last week about upgrading or requesting building for our Feb 14 trip, and they told me they could not do anything until we checked in. :censored:
Depends who you talk to. Two front desk staff were wonderful when we checked in and just prior but when we asked about our next reservation the staff we got was very rude and said call your 3rd party. 1 week wS interval and the consecutive week wS with SO's. We switched our 2nd week to Hyatt

Ken555

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Kierland
Sheraton Desert Oasis

They won’t take requests like that... you can, however, request a north or south view, high or low floor, etc. Regardless, requests are usually a waste of time and it’s best to simply discuss it upon checkin. They will give you the best view and location possible based on your reservation time stamp.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

zentraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I had a few conversations with pre-arrivals before we came on January 17th. We have two separate week long reservations. When I first talked to them they mentioned upgrading (paid) on availability when I checked in. The next time I talked to them that had - literally overnight - changed the policy that all upgrades needed to made through whoever booked one's reservation, but that there might be some flexibility to change rooms (not UG category). When we arrived we were happy with our room and view but the road noise is quite loud at times. At that point I was told that no room changes of any kind were being made due to covid. They were willing to look at a change for the second week, separate reservation, but nothing was available.

We are moving to the Marriott Ocean Club for our last two weeks and their agents were downright rude on the phone, but another story and another forum!

zentraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
They won’t take requests like that... you can, however, request a north or south view, high or low floor, etc. Regardless, requests are usually a waste of time and it’s best to simply discuss it upon checkin. They will give you the best view and location possible based on your reservation time stamp.

My experience, and what I have been told, is that rooms are assigned 2-3 days ahead for time and I have always found it helpful to ask for preferences ahead. We got what I had asked for before we came, it is just that the road noise has increased significantly in the years since we have been here. I think on check in they have less flexibility because room control has already assigned rooms. But YMMV.

Last edited: