• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Within rescind window for Nanea

SandyToe

Reaction score
Hi everyone, we recently picked up a timeshare at Westin Nanea for $33k EOY resort view with 148,100 SO for each even year and $1400 annual MF. It came with 300k starpoints purchase award. We felt really great about it that day then I started to read the contract more then tried to plan out vacations and it wasn't adding up. I didn't realize as I was signing that there are only 48 one bed units. One bed is what we were looking for. I might as well buy next door for less.

That's when I found TUG. According to the forums, I should rescind and save myself at least $10k thru resale market. Or at least just rent for the cost of the MF.

I'm leaning towards signing the cancellation docs (I'm on day 5) and sending asap but holding out for confirmation that I'm not missing something. 300k pts seem a lot. Enough for a few vacations?

We try to do at least a week in Hawaii every year. I was hoping to book 1bd with 148k by banking SO for my off years. Or trying a new location in the Vistana network if we couldn't get a Maui unit.

So keep it or pick up a resale from the other two westin Maui?

Thanks in advance!!

DRIless

Reaction score
Mail it now.

klpca

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SDO, Quarter House, Seapointe, Coronado Beach, Carlsbad Inn, Worldmark
This is your one opportunity. There are threads here about people having difficulty booking the one bedrooms there, fwiw. Resale is the way to go, so rescind now while you can, then come back here, do your research, and get exactly what you are looking for.

We did the the same thing in 2006 which is why my TUG registration date is 2006. It took us 5 years to pull the trigger and buy something but we haven't looked back. Timesharing has worked out great for us but I am very glad that we rescinded the first purchase and took the time to make the right purchase.

Markus

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WLR, WKV, WDW
I would buy resale, especially for my first timeshare. An EOY at one of the other Maui resorts will be at least half of what you have paid for Nanea, and at the 8 month mark, you can book Nanea with the StarOptions. Your maintenance fees will be similar. Given the lower purchase price, you might consider and annual week, or, even look at a Westin Kierland week, platinum season for the 148,100 StarOptions. The buy in for this will be $13-$15K, you will have annual StarOptions and maintenance of $1600 per year. You could book anything at the 8 month window, and enjoy a low buy in, and low maintenance.

Markus

DavidnRobin

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV OFD (Maui)
WPORV (Kauai)
WSJ-VGV (St. John)
WKV (Scottsdale)
Congrats on finding TUG in time.
If you have read thru the forum and still go thru with the VSE Nanea purchase - you have no one other than yourself to blame.

Rescind
Research
Resale

You can buy EY OF resale for less than your Nanea EOY - regardless of the SP incentive. And, can use the OF studio side for 1 week in a 1Bd at WKORV/N.
(or rent to help cover MFs)
This is what I do...
YMMV

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SandyToe

Reaction score
Thanks everyone. We just signed the papers and heading to post office now.

Wish we thought to check online first before buying in the first place. We had every intention of declining but it seemed like a deal after having sat through a Hyatt presentation :(

Ken555

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Kierland
Sheraton Desert Oasis
Congrats for finding TUG and rescinding! Your savings will pay for many trips...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

DannyTS

TUG Member
Reaction score
you can use Staroptions to book as others said. As an example, for $1150 maintenance fee every year you can get 81,000 staroptions every year (162,000 for 2 years, more than your purchase) with Sheraton Vistana Villages Bella 2 bedrooms platinum. This will cost you less than 3k (probably less than 2k) upfront and this is one of the few resale timeshares that has been slightly going up in value. IMO if your investments do better than 3 percent per year or if you have any debt including a mortgage this is better than Westin Kierland in terms of overall value. Whatever you buy resale, you are still way ahead than buying from the developer. Good luck, send the letter now!

Ckhawaii

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Ocean Tower HGVC
Westin Lagunamar plat 2bd 3x
Westin Aventuras
Are you still on Maui? We found a resale office there last month in Whalers Village and are looking into purchasing a Every Year lock off at The north villas from them.

vacationtime1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV-OF (Maui)
WKV x2 (Scottsdale)
Are you still on Maui? We found a resale office there last month in Whalers Village and are looking into purchasing a Every Year lock off at The north villas from them.

The "go to" guy for Maui resale timeshares is Syed Sarmad at www.advantagevacations.com.

But first do some research -- including literally walking around the various properties on Ka'anapali Beach you may be considering while you are still there (WKORV, Marriott, Hyatt). Take your time. Prices are not going up.

BeefyToes

Reaction score
Doesn't seem like the prices have been going up the past few years. Anyone to confirm on this?

BeefyToes

Reaction score
you can use Staroptions to book as others said. As an example, for $1150 maintenance fee every year you can get 81,000 staroptions every year (162,000 for 2 years, more than your purchase) with Sheraton Vistana Villages Bella 2 bedrooms platinum. This will cost you less than 3k (probably less than 2k) upfront and this is one of the few resale timeshares that has been slightly going up in value. IMO if your investments do better than 3 percent per year or if you have any debt including a mortgage this is better than Westin Kierland in terms of overall value. Whatever you buy resale, you are still way ahead than buying from the developer. Good luck, send the letter now!

Where would you suggest to find these resale listings/offers? I took a peek on EBay but not much inventory (for manadatories). Any help appreciated!