• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

With Corona Virus risks, can we see it easier to book timeshares and get great deals on airfare?

Fredflintstone

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Rent only
Well, maybe you are going to have an easier time booking your favourite timeshare in Hawaii. I have been reading people are cancelling trips in fear of this virus.

I also read some airlines are slashing fares to get bums in seats.

Hey, maybe this could end up being a great, inexpensive time to travel.

What do you think? Are your vacation plans still a go?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Sea Six

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Club Regency - Marco Island
Lagunamar - Cancun
Vistana Villages Key West (2) - Orlando
Flying in a plane is probably more risky than being in some vacation destinations. Not huge, crowded theme parks, etc, but the plane is like a cruise ship - a sailing petri dish.

Last edited:

bluehende

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
I would think anything travel related right now will cut prices to try and stimulate demand. Not sure this demand drop will have much reaction to price drops though.

Rolltydr

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
CWA, Ocean Blvd, Fairfield Glade
We’re going to Nashville to the SEC basketball tournament in 2 weeks. We’ll be driving up but will be in an arena with 20,000 others for 5 days. It hit me earlier today that we could possibly be exposed, although I’ve read that the nearest confirmed case is in Illinois. I’ll pay attention to what is happening with the virus but, at this time, I don’t see it impacting our trip.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CalGalTraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC, MVC Vistana
Inexpensive travel - yes!
Flying in a petri dish? - no.
Hawaii - no; too much risk with Asian tourists. Remember the CDC has only tested 500 people so far.

Mainland driving trips to timeshares or to the mountains may work. But not sure how much this will be discounted.

Rolltydr

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I remember when the SARS thing was in full swing. Man, did I get some smokin travel deals...and no SARS either. Yay

I worked on a catastrophe response team when the SARS outbreak occurred. We had to stop flying and drive everywhere. Several classes and meetings were cancelled by the company I worked for. The best I remember, those restrictions only lasted about 4-6 weeks.

easyrider

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark * * Villa Del Palmar UVCI * * Vacation Internationale*
Personally, I think the Corona Virus is a big nothing burger. If you do the math, statistically, you have about a 1/1000 % chance of getting this as of now if you live n an area that has it. The stats they claim on tv are wrong. They are using 78,600 cases / 2747 = 3.49 mortality rate.

The reality is there are over 1.5 billion people living in China and about 58.5 million that live in the particular area of Corona Virus. If you divide the population in the Wuhan area by the number of cases it looks like this, 78,600/ 58,500,000 = .001343589 or about 1/1000% chance.

Then look at the deaths per population of 2747 / 58,500,000 = 4.69 x 100 = about .00469 chance of actually dying from Corona Virus. The number is likely less in the USA.

That being said, my brother in law and sister in law are in Bali. They started in the Philippines. Headed to Singapore. Now in Bali. Soon to be in Cairns. With no return ticket yet. Great deals on diving.

Bill

Rolltydr

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Personally, I think the Corona Virus is a big nothing burger. If you do the math, statistically, you have about a 1/1000 % chance of getting this as of now if you live n an area that has it. The stats they claim on tv are wrong. They are using 78,600 cases / 2747 = 3.49 mortality rate.

The reality is there are over 1.5 billion people living in China and about 58.5 million that live in the particular area of Corona Virus. If you divide the population in the Wuhan area by the number of cases it looks like this, 78,600/ 58,500,000 = .001343589 or about 1/1000% chance.

Then look at the deaths per population of 2747 / 58,500,000 = 4.69 x 100 = about .00469 chance of actually dying from Corona Virus. The number is likely less in the USA.

That being said, my brother in law and sister in law are in Bali. They started in the Philippines. Headed to Singapore. Now in Bali. Soon to be in Cairns. With no return ticket yet. Great deals on diving.

Bill

Personally, I think we should listen to the medical experts. If they’re allowed to speak.

Harry

easyrider

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Personally, I think we should listen to the medical experts. If they’re allowed to speak.

Harry

Isn't that the problem ? Medical experts on tv being interviewed by a reporter out for ratings or the opinion of a journalist who spoke to a "medical expert" isn't the same info as the medical scientists researching Corona Virus, imo.

Corona viruses are a group of viruses that usually cause mild illnesses, such as the common cold. However, certain types of coronavirus can infect the lower airway, causing serious illnesses like pneumonia or bronchitis. Most people get infected with coronaviruses at some point in their lives and the majority of these infections are harmless.

Bill

Icc5

TUG Member
Reaction score
We have plans for a Caribbean cruise which will be a first for our granddaughter. So far the cruise is booked and a week in Florida at a timeshare. Haven't booked the flights or rental car yet. We only have this set time to take her which is in between end of school year and her flying to her Dad's for the summer. The problem is we have seen a few countries in the Caribbean already refusing cruise ships. Sure wish we had a definite yes or no the cruise will still happen.
Bart

Rolltydr

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Isn't that the problem ? Medical experts on tv being interviewed by a reporter out for ratings or the opinion of a journalist who spoke to a "medical expert" isn't the same info as the medical scientists researching Corona Virus, imo.

Corona viruses are a group of viruses that usually cause mild illnesses, such as the common cold. However, certain types of coronavirus can infect the lower airway, causing serious illnesses like pneumonia or bronchitis. Most people get infected with coronaviruses at some point in their lives and the majority of these infections are harmless.

Bill
I think the problem may actually be the coronavirus, not reports about the coronavirus. Am I afraid we’re all going to die from it? No, but that doesn’t mean it isn’t a serious threat. I, personally, have no idea how bad it is or may become. However, the CDC and NIH have a pretty good record of working with their international partners to track health risks and report the facts to the public. Our politicians, not so much. Now, the CDC and NIH are being muzzled by this president.

I used to be an avid consumer of TV news but in the past couple of years, I have almost completely stopped watching it. All of it. I don’t watch any of the networks or local news. It’s 24 hours of what can we do to keep you mad and angry at somebody or something. I try to read a good cross section of newspapers to stay informed. I prefer reading to watching people perform for the cameras.

You’ve already made up your mind that the coronavirus is being blown out of proportion. That’s fine and it’s your prerogative. However, the medical community is very concerned. They’re the ones on the front line treating the illness and working to identify an effective vaccine. I believe we need to listen to them as they present the facts to us. Hopefully, they will be allowed to.

Fredflintstone

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Rent only
I worked on a catastrophe response team when the SARS outbreak occurred. We had to stop flying and drive everywhere. Several classes and meetings were cancelled by the company I worked for. The best I remember, those restrictions only lasted about 4-6 weeks.

From what I have read many companies are doing similar with the corona virus. Yes, I’m thinking 6 to 12 weeks on this one. Why? So far, there are zero deaths in the US for corona virus versus the regular flu with 12 k per year. Of course, there could be a concealment here which, if we knew, would change thought.

This could be the big one but for some reason I see the big one as rampant sickness and deaths. It’s not there unless it is being concealed.

CO skier

TUG Member
Reaction score
I remember when the SARS thing was in full swing. Man, did I get some smokin travel deals...and no SARS either. Yay
I do not remember that SARS (or the flu) quarantined entire cities. Or virtually deserted airports. Or cancellation of major conferences and sporting events that put 100s of thousands of people in contact with each other. Or airlines cancelling all flight to certain countries. Or the CDC putting countries on a "do not travel" list.

Am I the only one who thinks the general public is not getting the whole story? Actions speak louder than print and online media.

Maybe corona virus is nothing more than SARS. No amount of discount will entice me to travel and take a chance until or unless corona virus is clearly on the decline. That is most definitely not the case now.

Correction: The CDC did put certain countries on a "do not travel list" during the SARS outbreak.

Last edited:

Fredflintstone

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Rent only
I do not remember that SARS (or the flu) quarantined entire cities. Or virtually deserted airports. Or cancellation of major conferences and sporting events that put 100s of thousands of people in contact with each other. Or airlines cancelling all flight to certain countries. Or the CDC putting countries on a "do not travel" list.

Am I the only one who thinks the general public is not getting the whole story? Actions speak louder than print and online media.

Maybe corona virus is nothing more than SARS. No amount of discount will entice me to travel and take a chance until or unless corona virus is clearly on the decline. That is most definitely not the case now.

As I recall, there were massive quarantines especially in China. There were parts of Toronto quarantined.

You may be right, things could be minimized. However, I remember these same medical experts equally concerned about SARS.

Fredflintstone

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Rent only
Another angle is creating mass panic as an excuse to slow down the red hot economy? If that was the excuse, it is working. I am always skeptic all, especially when there is so much hype news out there.

Passepartout

TUG Member
Reaction score
The difference between flu and Covid-19 is that so far, we don't know how it's transmitted, it seems to have a lengthy incubation period, the severity seems to be about 20X more likely to hospitalize the affected, and there is no immunity, treatment, or cure.

Fredflintstone

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Rent only
The difference between flu and Covid-19 is that so far, we don't know how it's transmitted, it seems to have a lengthy incubation period, the severity seems to be about 20X more likely to hospitalize the affected, and there is no immunity, treatment, or cure.

SARS was very similar and no solid treatment or cure either.

CO skier

TUG Member
Reaction score
COVID-19 KILLED the Chinese doctor who raised the alarm. He was 34 years old. Other young doctors and nurses are dying from COVID-19. That is all I need to inform my opinion.

COVID-19 is not "the flu" (or SARS).

easyrider

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned

They do know how it gets transmitted. The severity is no where near 20x more likely to be hospitalized. There are treatments. They will soon have the cure. Geez Jim, where did you get this info ?

Bill