• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Wish me luck with Spirit Airlines

ScoopKona

Reaction score
Monkey King Coffee - Captain Cook, Hawaii
I think there is a world of difference between the fairy princess and the woman who has to buy feminine hygiene6 products while on vacation and then carry them around in a plastic bag because they won't fit in her personal item. I know, she can skip the tampons completely and just take all the toilet paper she needs at the public bathrooms. That could save another $15. No need for toiletries at all. Again grab a mcdonalds cup from the trash get yourself a "free refill" and when you are done go to the bathroom and fill the cup up with the hand soap. You could use that instead of shampoo and soap and deodorant and wash your clothes in it too because you brought 2-3 outfits in addition to the 2-3 outfits that you wore on the plane. Smart.

Even before menopause, this wasn't necessary.

The hotel/timeshare has soap. And we only need a single change of clothes.

This is why we don't travel with others -- other people are bad at traveling. Furthermore, their way is no fun at all.

R1964

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Royal Holiday Club
The Jetblue bying Spirit may not go through. The Justice Department is suing to block the purchase.

alexadeparis

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Even before menopause, this wasn't necessary.

The hotel/timeshare has soap. And we only need a single change of clothes.

This is why we don't travel with others -- other people are bad at traveling. Furthermore, their way is no fun at all.
i think it's cool that you are able to do that , I'm not knocking it- but having just 2 outfits would not be enough for me. I can't imagine wearing the same outfit on a zipline as on a dinner date. How does your wife really feel about this?

I am NOT an overpacker by any means- I take 1 or 2 fancy outfits or dresses- 5-7 shirts and 4 bottoms and usually 3 or 4 shoes this can last me about 3 weeks of mix and match outfits if i have laundry facilities- my husband and i share our toiletries. I still need a medium checked bag. I also need room for souvenirs - so i always make sure i am not packed full on the way to the trip. Traveling in a carry-on (let alone a personal item) would be a challenge for me for anything longer than 3-4 days. I will never forget one time i went in a carry on for a 4 day trip that I decided to challenge myself to do a carry on. It turned into 14 day trip because my husband was in the hospital. I had to buy more clothes AND a piece of luggage. After that, I vowed to never carry on again - it's not worth the 10 minutes you save in not going to the carousel. I would have been much happier had i packed my normal amount and checked a bag.

Also I like to take pictures with different outfits so people know its a different day in my photos - i am not about to post 100 photos in the same outfit. YMMV.

To keep it related to the topic, Spirit wants you to check a bag.. I am ok with just the personal item in the cabin for my uncheckables. I personally hate people that refuse to even gate check and insist on stuffing their bag in the bin even when it clearly won't fit

ScoopKona

Reaction score
How does your wife really feel about this?

I am NOT an overpacker by any means- [everything else deleted]

She doesn't want to lug a steamer trunk around any more than I do.

And yes, I think your description (the part I deleted) is the very definition of overpacking. I truly don't care if people see me in the same clothes in vacation pictures. I can't even imagine caring about something like that. Since I am a giant American, I'm never going to "fit in" anywhere else. So I wear clothes that are sturdy, yet good enough for a restaurant.

If I ever need to meet a queen, or attend a ball, I'll splurge and buy a tuxedo when I'm there. So far, I've been in no danger of needing to brush off an etiquette guide for "what to do when invited to a palace."

Inhislove

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Catalina Beach Club
I like to meet the challenge to do a weekend trip with just a personal item. One time, I seriously regretted not packing a second shoe option, and another I didn’t have a warm top. Thankfully, I was able to buy each while at my destination. I couldn’t do it for months! I think I would rather pay the higher carryon price to avoid that hassle of checking a bag.

ScoopKona

Reaction score
@b2bailey -- I just put my money where my mouth is and booked two round-trips from Las Vegas to Los Angeles. $30 each way.

Why drive for 5-6 hours (more with traffic) when I can fly there for considerably less? Spirit has much better seat pitch than the majors. And It's just a quickie in L.A., so we don't need anything more than our personal item.

There is a small chance that I'm going to make a major purchase (farm equipment) and will need to rent a flat bed truck to get it back to Las Vegas, just so I can turn around and bring it back to Long Beach for Matson shipping in a few months. But it's a piece of coffee processing equipment I desperately need. So it's worth $30 each way to go have a look at it.

PigsDad

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Elite: SeaWorld, Surf Club, Charter Club, Valdoro
Spirit has much better seat pitch than the majors.
BS. What are you smoking?!?

Spirit's standard economy seats have 28" seat pitch -- among the worst in the industry. All of the majors (Delta, United, American, etc.) have 30-31" minimum seat pitch on those same planes (A319, A320, A321). And Southwest beats them all with minimum seat pitches of 31-33" on their 737 planes.

Don't believe me? Here is the SeatGuru links for all of those airlines:
Spirit
Delta
United
American
Southwest

Kurt

Talent312

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC & GTS
She doesn't want to lug a steamer trunk around any more than I do...
My DW (OTOH) doesn't mind me lugging around her steamer trunk
(while my little suitcase is strapped on top).

clifffaith

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark
We can go to Europe for 3 weeks with a personal item and carry-on each. However traveling by car we call ourselves the “Sultan’s Caravan” because we bring so much stuff — even for a 2.5 hour drive to a four day stay in Palm Springs or Big Bear.

rickandcindy23

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Founder; Disney OKW & SSR; Marriott's Willow Ridge,Shadow Ridge,Grand Chateau;Val Chatelle; Hono Koa OF (3); SBR(LOTS), SDO a few; Grand Palms; WKORV-OF (2),Westin Desert Willow.
I was listening to K-Love a couple of weeks ago on the way to see our grandkids, and there was an article somewhere (maybe someone knows?) that had recommendations on laundry and how often you should wash clothes. For jeans, they said you could wear a month without washing. For bed clothes, same thing. Sheets was not nearly as often as you would think, either.

I was trying to imagine me going a month without washing clothes or my nightshirt, which I wear every night. I only have the one.

For a month of travel, just wear the clothes on your back and take some underwear, nightshirt and a toothbrush, toothpaste and deodorant. You should be fine.

ScoopKona

Reaction score
BS. What are you smoking?!?

Spirit's standard economy seats have 28" seat pitch -- among the worst in the industry. All of the majors (Delta, United, American, etc.) have 30-31" minimum seat pitch on those same planes (A319, A320, A321). And Southwest beats them all with minimum seat pitches of 31-33" on their 737 planes.

Don't believe me? Here is the SeatGuru links for all of those airlines:
Spirit
Delta
United
American
Southwest

Kurt

That's that. We're done. Welcome to my ignore list.

I've got 36" of seat pitch on a $40 ticket. Just checked and confirmed on seatguru. Just like every other time I've flown, I was able to upgrade for next to nothing. Frankly, I should charge you rent for all this space I'm occupying in your head.

PigsDad

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Elite: SeaWorld, Surf Club, Charter Club, Valdoro
That's that. We're done. Welcome to my ignore list.

I've got 36" of seat pitch on a $40 ticket. Just checked and confirmed on seatguru. Just like every other time I've flown, I was able to upgrade for next to nothing. Frankly, I should charge you rent for all this space I'm occupying in your head.
Yeah, right. I show you the facts that Spirit has the among the worst seat pitch in the industry when you stated, "Spirit has much better seat pitch than the majors" and you throw a hissy fit. You just can't handle being called out on your lies. You keep spewing those lies, Topper, and I'll keep calling them out.

Kurt

Ken555

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Kierland
Sheraton Desert Oasis
I don’t understand this contest of packing the least. I check one bag since my business laptop bag is full with…business stuff. I don’t have a problem with it, so I don’t play this game and don’t understand those of you who do. If you can go with a carry on for a long trip, congrats. I have friends who travel this way and I think that’s great. But so what? Some of you write as if this makes you superior from the rest of us bag checking travelers. FWIW, I get a free bag on most airlines I fly so it’s not like it’s costing me much. And I get to take a lot more with, or have room for gifts etc.

And on my trip to Hawaii a few weeks ago I was even able to pack my snorkel bag inside my checked bag. I consider that an advantage.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

alexadeparis

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I don’t understand this contest of packing the least. I check one bag since my business laptop bag is full with…business stuff. I don’t have a problem with it, so I don’t play this game and don’t understand those of you who do. If you can go with a carry on for a long trip, congrats. I have friends who travel this way and I think that’s great. But so what? Some of you write as if this makes you superior from the rest of us bag checking travelers. FWIW, I get a free bag on most airlines I fly so it’s not like it’s costing me much. And I get to take a lot more with, or have room for gifts etc.

And on my trip to Hawaii a few weeks ago I was even able to pack my snorkel bag inside my checked bag. I consider that an advantage.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Ken I agree with you. I was also sensing an air of superiority from the no checking crowd. I get 2 free bags on my preferred line also, so maybe we are biased towards checking a bag. But frankly, i don't want to wear the same 2 shirts and pants for 3 weeks, so i don't mind checking a bag - plus i always bring souvenirs home. So on the way there i have a LOT of space in my case for those. Truly a case of to each his own, but saving 10 minutes by not going to the luggage carousel isn't worth the sacrifice of having no wardrobe. With the good wheels on luggage now there's no reason to avoid the larger luggage in my opinion. Again, spirit prices checked bags cheaper, so that's always a consideration on that airline: they want those bags checked rather than brought on board. It's all going on the same plane anyway, so what's the point. I don't fly tight connections, but if i did i wouldn't want to be schlepping a carry on through strange airports when time is a factor.