• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Wish me luck with Spirit Airlines

b2bailey

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Let me start by saying I vowed years ago to never use Spirit Air ever again.
(Apparently it's a bit like child-birth, where the memory of pain fades with time.)

My home airport has changed to Sacramento CA.
My best friend moved to Nashville.
Another friend moving to ABQ very soon.
My eldest cousin lives in Las Vegas.
Turns out Spirit Air serves these locations well.

And so...
I signed up for their Saver$Club.

I've already booked 2 flights:
May -- Las Vegas to Nashville
Sept -- Las Vegas to ABQ

I can actually fly Allegiant out of Stockton to Las Vegas, or Southwest from Sacramento to Las Vegas. So lots of choices, with the idea being a visit with cousin between flights, or overnight.

The thing that pushed me into trying Spirit again...
Mention on their website of collaboration with Jet Blue, which I like a lot.

Time will tell.

ScoopKona

Reaction score
Monkey King Coffee - Captain Cook, Hawaii
I *love* Spirit. I fly them constantly. And it's been nothing but great experiences. 10 years, flying them at least six times a year. Not one problem.

They have newer planes with better seat pitch. And they will get me from LAS to OAK for $9.

b2bailey

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I was actually hoping for an encouraging word -- thank you!

TheTimeTraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score
Here's another encouragement; By the time you fly Spirit may be owned by JetBlue if the Government allows the merge. I may not like Spirit but I do like JetBlue

ScoopKona

Reaction score
I was actually hoping for an encouraging word -- thank you!

The trick to Spirit is the trick to all airlines -- fly early in the day, and pack light (light enough you don't check any bags).

That solves most problems before they even start. Especially early flights. Scheduling problems compound over the day, so by evening, everything is a mess. I'll break a trip up to avoid night connections. Since I don't have a checked bag, I'd rather get out into the city, eat, sleep near the airport, wake up at oh-dark-thirty and start again. I've lost count of how many times I've seen people sleeping in an airport because a plane was held up for repairs.

As for Spirit nickel-and-diming passengers to death -- they only do that to people who let them. I don't care where I sit. I don't have a bag. I don't want any drinks. Just get me where I'm going.

am1

TUG Member
Reaction score
I will wish condolences. Save the luck for others with more important things. I am sure everything will be great until its not. If it gets you from a to b direct maybe worth it.

b2bailey

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I will wish condolences. Save the luck for others with more important things. I am sure everything will be great until its not. If it gets you from a to b direct maybe worth it.
I figured it was worth a try.

b2bailey

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Here's another encouragement; By the time you fly Spirit may be owned by JetBlue if the Government allows the merge. I may not like Spirit but I do like JetBlue

I'd like a merge of the two, but confused by the AA connection.

alexadeparis

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
They’re fine as long as you are flying direct. It’s when there’s a connection with a plane change that you may have a fail.

Patri

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Certainly report back! Have fun.

easyrider

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark * * Villa Del Palmar UVCI * * Vacation Internationale*
Good Luck !!!

Bill

Lakeshore

TUG Member
Reaction score
Last spring break tickets to SNA and surrounding airports were almost $800 apiece for coach(we needed 5 tickets), and AA doesn’t fly direct for us to southern CA, so a lay over every time. Because of the outrageous prices on AA, we took a chance on spirit…we did get the big seats in front, and it was totally worth it…much less expensive, and flew direct to LAX(they don’t fly direct to sna for us either), and it was fine…short flight, luggage came quickly(we checked in 1 suitcase total), and no problems. No frills, but hey, just get me to NCV as quickly as possible….I’d rather have a glass of wine out on the balcony overlooking the beautiful ocean, than on an airplane anyway! :)

We just flew to sna yesterday on American(got a great price for AA), but having to layover in Chicago, and it was not good….seats uncomfortable and super early departure.…it was a long day. Last night we agreed we will from now on seriously consider Spirit with the big seats when coming to southern CA.

But, I do think I would only do this with a direct flight, as if there are problems with the connection, I think because of status and more flights in general, AA would be more helpful in rerouting, etc.

I hope the original poster’s flights go well! Have a great time with your friends!

jonmaiman

TUG Member
Reaction score
I have flown Spirit many times on direct flights to Florida. Even with all of the nickel and diming, they were still cheaper than the major airlines for the XMAS to New Years holiday week. While I was concerned the first time I flew them (only one flight a day to my destination), it worked out fine. Never had an issue with them. The Big Front Seat makes the flight much more comfortable. The regular seating is tight but still okay for a couple of hour flight. Unfortunately, the FL flight I was using them for was cancelled this past year.

Distilling it down, Spirit serves a niche purpose. For direct flights during high demand weeks they can still be the cheapest option even with all of the junk fees. Operationally, they have been fine, if anything, slightly better than the majors (SW, AA, DL, UA, etc.). While Spirit, at least in its current pre-merger form, is unlikely to ever be my primary airline, I will use them tactically without hesitation when it makes sense. YMMV...

-Jon

RX8

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC and DVC
I *love* Spirit. I fly them constantly. And it's been nothing but great experiences. 10 years, flying them at least six times a year. Not one problem.

Glad it has worked out for you so far. My SIL had three straight Spirit flights cancelled on her. One was a weekend getaway so each day mattered. The scheduled flight was cancelled. They then rebooked her on another flight the next morning at a different airport an hour further away. She got a ride to the airport. After arriving at the airport, getting through security and making it to the gate…Spirit then cancelled that flight.

tschwa2

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
A few in S and VA, a single resort in NC, MD, PA, and UT, plus Jamaica and the Bahamas
The trick to Spirit is the trick to all airlines -- fly early in the day, and pack light (light enough you don't check any bags).

That solves most problems before they even start. Especially early flights. Scheduling problems compound over the day, so by evening, everything is a mess. I'll break a trip up to avoid night connections. Since I don't have a checked bag, I'd rather get out into the city, eat, sleep near the airport, wake up at oh-dark-thirty and start again. I've lost count of how many times I've seen people sleeping in an airport because a plane was held up for repairs.

As for Spirit nickel-and-diming passengers to death -- they only do that to people who let them. I don't care where I sit. I don't have a bag. I don't want any drinks. Just get me where I'm going.
When you say I don't have a bag do you mean that you fly with a personal size item only (like a small back pack or smaller) or that you pay for a carry on size bag? They actually charge more for a carry on size than to check a back.

ScoopKona

Reaction score
When you say I don't have a bag do you mean that you fly with a personal size item only (like a small back pack or smaller) or that you pay for a carry on size bag? They actually charge more for a carry on size than to check a back.

Personal size item. I can travel for months with the contents of one. And anything I need, I'll just buy there if necessary (it's almost never necessary.) This also greatly reduces time spent in airports. There is no down side. I'm not Imelda Marcos, so I don't need to travel with 30 pairs of shoes. One will do. The ones on my feet.

In my decades of traveling, I have never once heard anyone say, "I really need to pack more stuff next time."

tschwa2

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
A few in S and VA, a single resort in NC, MD, PA, and UT, plus Jamaica and the Bahamas
Personal size item. I can travel for months with the contents of one. And anything I need, I'll just buy there if necessary (it's almost never necessary.) This also greatly reduces time spent in airports. There is no down side. I'm not Imelda Marcos, so I don't need to travel with 30 pairs of shoes. One will do. The ones on my feet.

In my decades of traveling, I have never once heard anyone say, "I really need to pack more stuff next time."
I find it hard to believe that you could travel for months only taking what you could fit inside of a 24 pack of soda. That is about the size of the personal care item they allow.

ScoopKona

Reaction score
I find it hard to believe that you could travel for months only taking what you could fit inside of a 24 pack of soda. That is about the size of the personal care item they allow.

I lived in Africa for years on about that. I wear half of what I need and pack mostly socks and underclothes. Another pair of jeans and a sturdy shirt, toiletries, and that's that. I have a warm weather bag and a cold weather bag packed, right now, in my closet -- ready to go. One airfare war and I can pick the appropriate bag and be half a world away by tomorrow. I have ALWAYS traveled like this.

The big-picture problem is that the average person travels like a pampered princess.

"Don't forget to pack the glass slippers! I'll need them at the royal ball!"

am1

TUG Member
Reaction score
I am sure he could do it it half the size. Or at least tell you he could.

T_R_Oglodyte

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
I am sure he could do it it half the size. Or at least tell you he could.
I read it on the internet, It must be true.

TheTimeTraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score
The Government is stepping in as of March 7, 2023 and will attempt to block the anticipated merger between JetBlue and Spirit.

alexadeparis

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I lived in Africa for years on about that. I wear half of what I need and pack mostly socks and underclothes. Another pair of jeans and a sturdy shirt, toiletries, and that's that. I have a warm weather bag and a cold weather bag packed, right now, in my closet -- ready to go. One airfare war and I can pick the appropriate bag and be half a world away by tomorrow. I have ALWAYS traveled like this.

The big-picture problem is that the average person travels like a pampered princess.

"Don't forget to pack the glass slippers! I'll need them at the royal ball!"
A man might be able to get away with a limited wardrobe that would fill a personal item on a short trip. A woman - never. My electronics and chargers exceed a personal item and that's without even starting a wardrobe. Even paying for luggage and seat assignment, Spirit is still cheaper than competitors. i always check a bag and pay for a carry-on

ScoopKona

Reaction score
A man might be able to get away with a limited wardrobe that would fill a personal item on a short trip. A woman - never. My electronics and chargers exceed a personal item and that's without even starting a wardrobe. Even paying for luggage and seat assignment, Spirit is still cheaper than competitors. i always check a bag and pay for a carry-on

My wife also travels this way. We're both just taking a personal item on our next flight. It's really no big deal. She's also not Imelda Marcos, so she doesn't need 30 pairs of shoes. I wouldn't want to travel with anyone who claims to need that much stuff on vacation. We have done month-long trips to Europe this way.

I'll never understand why people travel like it's a 19th-century safari -- with porters and steamer trunks full of household goods. "Be sure to set up the Victrola so we can listen to Enrico Caruso's new cylinder!"

The only time I check bags is when I'm flying to the farm on Southwest and want to move another 100 pounds of stuff.

tschwa2

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
My wife also travels this way. We're both just taking a personal item on our next flight. It's really no big deal. She's also not Imelda Marcos, so she doesn't need 30 pairs of shoes. I wouldn't want to travel with anyone who claims to need that much stuff on vacation. We have done month-long trips to Europe this way.

I'll never understand why people travel like it's a 19th-century safari -- with porters and steamer trunks full of household goods. "Be sure to set up the Victrola so we can listen to Enrico Caruso's new cylinder!"

The only time I check bags is when I'm flying to the farm on Southwest and want to move another 100 pounds of stuff.
I think there is a world of difference between the fairy princess and the woman who has to buy feminine hygiene6 products while on vacation and then carry them around in a plastic bag because they won't fit in her personal item. I know, she can skip the tampons completely and just take all the toilet paper she needs at the public bathrooms. That could save another $15. No need for toiletries at all. Again grab a mcdonalds cup from the trash get yourself a "free refill" and when you are done go to the bathroom and fill the cup up with the hand soap. You could use that instead of shampoo and soap and deodorant and wash your clothes in it too because you brought 2-3 outfits in addition to the 2-3 outfits that you wore on the plane. Smart.