• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Windows Easy Transfer ???

Cruiser Too

TUG Member
Reaction score
Shopped Black-Friday online and I finally bit the bullet.
Currently running on a Dinosaur XP.
Decided to buy a Windows-7 based PC.

Has anyone used "Windows Easy Transfer" to transfer files/folders, etc
from an XP Machine to the Windows-7 PC ???

I know I'll have to download and install "Windows Easy Transfer" on my XP.
No network involved.

Any thoughts, suggestions, caveats shared, would be greatly appreciated.

TIA !!!

Passepartout

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Doug I am at SIL's now in Redmond. He's a MS mgr. he says 'piece o' cake'. If both are live on your network, create a link and it will guide you through, or you can do it w/cdroms or flash drives.

Jim Ricks

Cruiser Too

TUG Member
Reaction score
Doug I am at SIL's now in Redmond. He's a MS mgr. he says 'piece o' cake'. If both are live on your network, create a link and it will guide you through, or you can do it w/cdroms or flash drives.

Hi Jim !

A "piece of cake" sounds encouraging.

Currently, I don't have a "network".
As soon as I move my data to the new PC,
the obsolete one (XP) will be recycled into Kingdom Come.

Re: "...you can do it w/cdroms or flash drives"
What are "flash drives" ?
I have a couple of "External Drives".
Might they be the same thing ?

Would a USB-Cable, connected from the XP to Win-7 work ?

Doug

Last edited:

Passepartout

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Not sure about the cable transfer, but maybe. Another thought... Take both to the Geeks, have them remove the bloat ware and starter software and transfer your files to the new machine. Might be easier than DIY.

External hard drives aren't the same as flash drives, but if you have your data backed up onto external drives it doesn't hurt. You might end up with duplicate files/ pictures, etc on the new computer that you might want to eliminate.

I did the 'Easy Transfer' thing once and it worked well enough that I have no memory of problems.

Jim

Last edited:

zinger1457

Reaction score
Yes, you can do the 'easy transfer' to an external hard drive. I did the 'easy transfer' from XP to Windows 7 and had no problems.

Elan

TUG Member
Reaction score
What about just physically mounting the old hard drive from the XP machine into the new Win7 machine? That's what I did, and it was about as easy as it gets.

I'm pretty sure you can also do it via USB cable (PC to PC) as you mentioned, but I've never done it. I would guess you could Google it and get more info.

Cruiser Too

TUG Member
Reaction score
Yes, you can do the 'easy transfer' to an external hard drive. I did the 'easy transfer' from XP to Windows 7 and had no problems.

Thanks Zinger !
Anything to make the process simpler, appeals to me !

Cruiser Too

TUG Member
Reaction score
Not sure about the cable transfer, but maybe. Another thought... Take both to the Geeks, have them remove the bloat ware and starter software and transfer your files to the new machine. Might be easier than DIY.

I plan to remove all bloatware myself. Heard about a free program available online that's supposed to do this. Recommended by Kim Komondo.

External hard drives aren't the same as flash drives, but if you have your data backed up onto external drives it doesn't hurt. You might end up with duplicate files/ pictures, etc on the new computer that you might want to eliminate.​

Okay, I follow you about "Flash Drives". They relatively new, faster, no moving parts, low-volume and currently expensive ?

I did the 'Easy Transfer' thing once and it worked well enough that I have no memory of problems.​

Again.. that's encouraging !!!

Thanks, Doug

nightnurse613

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
I am just wondering if you do the Easy Transfer thing, if you can select what you want moved or you just wind up dumping everything? I think the Windows 7 has an easy transfer program built in so, I am wondering if a USB to USB cable would work - I notice the Belkin Transfer Cable has a thingy on it (technical term)?

Cruiser Too

TUG Member
Reaction score
Hi Elan !

What about just physically mounting the old hard drive from the XP machine into the new Win7 machine? That's what I did, and it was about as easy as it gets.​
Well...
  • The Drive is over 8-years old and I believe on it's last leg.
  • The new PC has a 1.5TB Drive and that's enough for me.

I'm pretty sure you can also do it via USB cable (PC to PC) as you mentioned, but I've never done it. I would guess you could Google it and get more info.​
Will look into using a USB-cable !!!

Thanks Elan !

Cruiser Too

TUG Member
Reaction score
I am just wondering if you do the Easy Transfer thing, if you can select what you want moved or you just wind up dumping everything? I think the Windows 7 has an easy transfer program built in so, I am wondering if a USB to USB cable would work - I notice the Belkin Transfer Cable has a thingy on it (technical term)?

Hi Night Nurse !

Based on my research:

>>> You get to select which files/folder to move.

>>> Windows-7 includes "Easy-Transfer" installed.
>>> I need to download & install the correct version (32/64-bit) onto my XP.

Yeah... I noticed the Belkin-Transfer-Cable too.
I supposed it's a physical "cable" and accompanying software.

Wonder how it compares with Windows-7 methodology ???

bjones9942

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Lindo Mar, Puerto Vallarta; Lake Tahoe Beach & Ski, South Lake Tahoe
Doug.Kaya,

I'd like to offer a little suggestion that might help you more than just getting this one issue taken care of. Many community colleges and retail stores offer 'computer 101' classes at night/on weekends. They go a little more than 'here is the power button' and 'the keyboard is just like a typewriter'. They usually cover the basic components of computers, and then move on to popular software (usually MS Office). Not only would you benefit from the actual knowlege gained, but you might see additional ways to use your computer that would benefit you. These classes are usually fairly reasonably priced too. I've even been sucessful in getting my 98 year old Aunt to use the computer I gave her. Granted, since Juno stopped her free dial-up (for email) all she does is play solitaire, but she uses it!

Cruiser Too

TUG Member
Reaction score
Doug.Kaya,

I'd like to offer a little suggestion that might help you more than just getting this one issue taken care of. Many community colleges and retail stores offer 'computer 101' classes at night/on weekends. They go a little more than 'here is the power button' and 'the keyboard is just like a typewriter'. They usually cover the basic components of computers, and then move on to popular software (usually MS Office). Not only would you benefit from the actual knowlege gained, but you might see additional ways to use your computer that would benefit you. These classes are usually fairly reasonably priced too. I've even been sucessful in getting my 98 year old Aunt to use the computer I gave her. Granted, since Juno stopped her free dial-up (for email) all she does is play solitaire, but she uses it!

Thanks for your suggestion but don't believe it would be beneficial to me.

I worked on computers (starting with unit-record machines and later to mainframes) as an operator, programmer, analyst, and unit supervisor starting in 1959
(Yes, I'm ancient!) :)

Upon retirement back in 1995, I took a part-time job and developed an Invoice/Inventory system for a small Mom-and-Pop business using Alpha-5 Database.
They're still using the system today with enhancements based on the newer versions of Alpha-5
Quit that job in 1999 and been having fun on my various PC's since.
My first PC was one with 40-Megs of Hard-Disk which I was told was "more hard-drive space than I'll ever need".

However, I have recommend taking Intro PC classes to others, without any "takers" :eek:

Doug

Last edited:

nightnurse613

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks Doug. I checked the Microsoft website and they said USB to USB cable will NOT work. It looks like I just need to get the Belkin cable, load the Windows Transfer on the old computer and follow instructions. I see a lot of reviews that this works pretty easy. I am just not sure if I dare transfer all the stuff from my husbands old computer to his new computer or just give him the cord and let him mess with it at Christmas (leaning that way).:confused:

Cruiser Too

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks Doug. I checked the Microsoft website and they said USB to USB cable will NOT work. It looks like I just need to get the Belkin cable, load the Windows Transfer on the old computer and follow instructions. I see a lot of reviews that this works pretty easy. I am just not sure if I dare transfer all the stuff from my husbands old computer to his new computer or just give him the cord and let him mess with it at Christmas (leaning that way).:confused:

Googled "reviews" and here's a couple:

Pros: It transfers all.....I mean 'all' ........your files.......................very efficiently.

Cons: It transfers all your files, all your updates, all your bells and whistles...everything...things you don't need and did not even know you had. I needed 139 documents on my XP transfered to a Lenovo IdeaCentre B305, it transfered 8036 files.

Summary: Belkin needs to give you more options on what you want to transfer, in a detailed pick and choose menu.

Pros: The package included the install disk, the cable, and user instructions.

Cons: The product want install. Twice, tech support offered the same playbook recommendations. I purchased the Belkin product because it worked perfectly for a prior XP to Vista transfer. Now I need to transfer files from Vista to Win7.

Summary: Save your money! Forego the aggravation. The product fails to perform as promised and the Belkin tech support had no resolutions. Committed to a callback the next day. I want hold my breath.

Make of it as you please !!!

Cruiser Too

TUG Member
Reaction score
It seems like there are different versions (Based on the old PC) of ""Belkin transfer cable".

Here are two "positive" and two "negative" reviews:

I hesitated to buy after reading the naysayers' reviews, but the prospect of being able to transfer all my files was too much of a temptation to resist. I gave it a try, and not only did it transfer gigs and gigs of files in a short time (an hour or so), but it was then able to transfer my Outlook emails, contacts, and connection settings from the old computer. Incredible! What a timesaver and stress saver. Follow the instructions and you should have no trouble. I do suggest choosing the Advanced menu option, to select the specific files or settings to transfer. I also suggest transferring file folders as a batch, and settings separately. I did this and had no troubles at all. I consider this to be one of the best software/hardware innovations since the original PC. Connectivity at last :)

I was leery after the negative reviews, but couldn't have experienced any smoother transfer of data. I have transferred from both my laptop and my old desktop to the new computer without a hitch.
I did appreciate the other feedback to install the program CD on the XP computer only. I did this, and then connected the cable, and all went VERY smoothly. I only wish I had purchased this BEFORE I had tried to save a few dollars and transfer the data manually. The hour it took to transfer with the cable was well worth the $28 for the cable, and would have saved me more than 12 hours of attempting program and data transfer with the flash drives. I had an excellent experience and recommend this.

#########################

There are no real directions that come with this item. Just a step by step process and if there's a mess up, you're out of luck.

I called tech and they pretty much blew me off.

I tried it through another tech person for something like three hours.

I spent almost two days on this and then I got a flash drive and transferred everything over in under an hour.

The Belkin cable was returned the next day.

Don't buy it. You'll regret it. Get a flash drive or at least some service where tech people don't blow you off.

#################

The product did not perform as advertised. The instructions that came with it did not work as the step by step showed. The information that did transfer was old or corrupted. A horrible experience that took me days of work with microsoft and intuit to correct. I would not recommend this product to anyone under any condition.