• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Williamsburg Virginia

Reaction score
Howdy all,

I just wanted to share my .02 on my home community - Williamsburg, Va. I was actually born in Richmond - but went to school in Williamsburg and loved every minute of my life there.

Although I am no longer in timeshare (havent been for 9 years), I still enjoy and actually really engage in the timeshare culture. So I dont sound like I am giving preferential treatment for my home resort, I will give a brief synaposis on the resorts I have stayed at in Williamsburg when I went home.

First off, for those that dont know - Williamsburg is a calm, quaint magical little town where everyone who works in CW is super friendly. I think of it as the ultimate escape away from the hustle and bustle that life brings, in little ol' virginia. Its a very 'upper echelon' type of place, but nowhere near the type of uppity people one may find in the New England states (jk, jk, my wife is from Massachusetts).

I dont even know if anyone will ever read these things, but I will share my thoughts on two resorts in Williamsburg.
#1) Sunterra/Diamonds Powhatan Plantation
#2) Kings Creek Resort, The Cottages

Powhatan Plantation:
Old world charm abounds at this property. Rarely can you come home late at night into this exceptionally well manicured resort and not be surrounded by deer as you drive through the winding property. It has an actual historical building on the property (manor home) and is just the most peaceful resort we have ever, ever stayed at....
Most of the units have been recently refurnished (Still an older resort) so they are fairly fresh/new. The trick here is to get a first floor unit!!! Whatever you do - do not get a second floor unit! Anyone who has ever stayed there can confirm this with you. The first floor units have a private, bedroom sized (Two story), cedar encased 6 person large jacuzzi spa for parties, wine, hanging out!
I find it best to take the tv in the master bedroom, put it in a chair at the door - pointed towards the Jacuzzi, grab the remote and hop in...... I love that dagum place!!!
Fantastico........

OK guys:zzz: This is more tiring that I thought...... I will come back and write my review on KCP and others later.
I think I am just going to do what this forum is for.....sharing my experiences, thoughts and passions about timeshare!
See ya soon!:wave:

timeos2

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
We stayed in the upper unit about a decade ago & found it perfectly acceptable. What about it don't you like (other than no hot tub? We have one at home so that's not a big deal to us).

However overall we felt the resort was too large, not particularly well maintained (have they EVER fixed the indoor pool that was closed then & was still closed when we returned in 2009 for the same issues!) and way too far removed from Williamsburg itself. Of all the resorts in the area, and as you know there are plenty, that would be our last choice (but we wouldn't turn it down if that were the only one available). Even the recent renovations seem very hit & miss - it is just too large to be handled correctly it seems. If we're going to a DRI property we prefer Greensprings (even further out but a nicer overall resort).

STEVIE

TUG Member
Reaction score
Hi, we were there two years ago and the indoor pool was still unavailable! In fact, the entire building that also housed the exercise room was closed. I did enjoy the resort, asked at check in for a refurbished room, and it was on the second floor of the building which was just fine, as you said. I did think the outdoor pool was too small for the resort, it was almost uncomfortable because there were so many people in it ( we were there in July).The worst thing about the resort were the geese, there were so many of them and the resort didn't clean up after them, making walking around a little challenging. Overall, we enjoyed our vacation in Williamsburg and found the resort met our needs. Sue

hvsteve1

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
We can ignore the goose problem as we live on a lake and have loads of geese, including a few that hang around our house and are practically pets (Gwynith and Gus) as they nest on our shore and present us with little yellow babies in the spring. Geese do, however, leave a mess the same size as a herd of chihuahuas if you don't watch it. :eek:

If you exchange in Powhatan, look for the two bedroom "Deluxe". These are new units which don't have any of the lack of upgrade problems complained about in the older units. There are also some physical changes. One is that the main bath is now double entry so those staying in the second bedroom can enter it without coming into the living room. The hot tub is also a very current model, as compared to the ones in most units which go back several decades and, though they work, have very basic controls. The spa room is now, rather than redwood, modern drywall. They also left out the overhead cabinets between the kitchen and living room (on which I always banged my head) converting it from a pass through to an open floorplan. It costs a few more points, but is worth it.

I don't know where they're at with the indoor pool but know that, a few years ago, DRI started a renovation and found the original builder, two or three operators ago, had not constructed the building properly and there was a lot of water damage. The result was having to tear down a large part of the structure and rebuild from the ground up.

We go back a long way at PP and still consider it one of the most unique and lovely places in all our travels. Greensprings has grown into something resembling an apartment complex while PP is still a plantation, complete with the manor house that is a contemporary of the Colonial Williamsburg structures. To DRI's credit they have kept it up and are still doing restoration and kept it open to visitors. The grounds are also beautiful. They do have geese but the last time we visited the swans seem to have mostly gone. Geese leave poop but swans are bigger and can be really nasty. One once chase my wife back to the car then tried to bang its way in through the closed window. I was really bothered having to see that. :hysterical: I believe geese are afraid of swans which is why, when the swans went away (after eating a guest?) the goose population grew.