• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Williamsburg, Va Christmas Week?

maggiesmom

TUG Member
Reaction score
Not knowing the area, I'm trying to figure out if I should rental from an owner here on Tug2 or VRBO for 3 Adults(me,dh,man child).
On VRBO it doesn't state about parking fees or houses keeping fee .
I like to cook when we vacation and I like to be closes to things to see and do.
We'll have our car to get around .
If you could recommend a place that's clean, and in good shape with a full kitchen. TIA
Maggiesmom

escanoe

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC: Flamingo & Anderson Ocean Club
Vacation Village: Woodstone at Massanutten and Grandview (RCI Points) & the Colonies
I am not 100% sure, but I do not think landing a Christmas week at Williamsburg will be that hard. My family stayed there Christmas week in 2000, but that certainly was not a normal travel year.

Williamsburg is overbuilt and there is no shortage of space in terms of parking. I do not know of any timeshare there that charges for parking.

Cleaning fees will be a common thing, but can be fairly easily avoided by booking a full week.

DRI resorts charge an excessive resort fee there in my view (~$16 per night), but resort fees in the range of $30 to $60 (per week) are to be expected.

If I remember right, you own Vistana. If I had to bet, I would say a decent Williamsburg resort could be had for an II certificate + fee within a couple of months or 45 days before.

You could rent from an owner, but my guess is if you are a little strategic you can get something for less than the cost of MFs. If you need to lock something in earlier to feel safe booking airfare or something, I would look at the Getaways on II and the Extra vacations on RCI if you are able.

Not knowing the area, I'm trying to figure out if I should rental from an owner here on Tug2 or VRBO for 3 Adults(me,dh,man child).
On VRBO it doesn't state about parking fees or houses keeping fee .
I like to cook when we vacation and I like to be closes to things to see and do.
We'll have our car to get around .
If you could recommend a place that's clean, and in good shape with a full kitchen. TIA
Maggiesmom

Last edited:

maggiesmom

TUG Member
Reaction score
Yeah didn't think to deposit my Vistana in II, but I did look at the Getaways - nothing available for my dates (dec23-30,22).
I don't remember how to do a search first before I deposit my unit. What TS are in that Area .
Literally I need a step-by-step direction from someone how to do it. :unsure:
Thanks for your help much appreciated.

tschwa2

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
A few in S and VA, a single resort in NC, MD, PA, and UT, plus Jamaica and the Bahamas
Christmas is going to be more popular than the first 2 weeks in December and January but it is still relatively low season. I am not sure about waiting and using a cert if you want a full kitchen. I do think you could get a II or rci getaway/extra vacation for $500-800 or even a short stay exchange starting in maybe 2-3 months on II. The nicest would probably be Marriott Manor Club, but any of the gold crown resorts would be fine. You do need to make sure you factor in the resort fees charged by Diamond resorts (charged daily)

maggiesmom

TUG Member
Reaction score
Christmas is going to be more popular than the first 2 weeks in December and January but it is still relatively low season. I am not sure about waiting and using a cert if you want a full kitchen. I do think you could get a II or rci getaway/extra vacation for $500-800 or even a short stay exchange starting in maybe 2-3 months on II. The nicest would probably be Marriott Manor Club, but any of the gold crown resorts would be fine. You do need to make sure you factor in the resort fees charged by Diamond resorts (charged daily)
How fo I find those fees. I'm sure I'm going to ask more questions.

tschwa2

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
A few in S and VA, a single resort in NC, MD, PA, and UT, plus Jamaica and the Bahamas
If you rent a Diamond resort from a diamond owner there should be no fees. I don't think there are fees if you book through II. If you book Greenspring or Powhattan through rci, the fee is $15.95 per day.
Vacation Village of Williamsburg and the Colonies charge $30 per week.
Wyndham Kingsgate charges $6.00 per day.
I don't think the other ones charge but if you are looking on rci or II make sure you look at the fees page. If you are renting from an owner just ask to check if there are resort fees when you check in.

maggiesmom

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thank you for the information. I only belong to II. I just set alert on the II app(never used it before).

elaine

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Eagles Nest, DVC-AKV, HHI
I like geeensprings and Marriott manor club. Marriott is nicer, but greensprings is better located. Greensprings is also quite nice-I stay there for a weeklong trips. There is daily fee. I factor that into pricing. I’ve also rented via Diamond website a few nights many times. But for a week, a trade or getaway is more cost effective.

escanoe

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Vacation Village: Woodstone at Massanutten and Grandview (RCI Points) & the Colonies
I like geeensprings and Marriott manor club.

It costs $359.99 today to book a 2BR Greensprings as an “Extra” vacation on RCI with a Fri 12/23 check-in. Resort fee is $15.95 per night that you stay.

3084E52E-051F-4169-A6B9-B0D478B5A944.jpeg

Last edited:

wackymother

TUG Member
Reaction score
We've stayed in Williamsburg over Xmas several times. It's an easy exchange in RCI and I imagine in II too. Definitely try for a 2br rather than a 1br even if you don't need the second bedroom--the 2brs are generally much more spacious and comfortable than the 1brs.

We own at King's Creek and have stayed there, and also at Powhatan, Colonial Crossings (a long time ago, but the 1br was big and bright), Kingsgate, and Patrick Henry. The only one we didn't really like was Patrick Henry--although the location is fantastic (you can walk to Colonial Williamsburg), our 1br was very dark.

You might be able to get an inexpensive rental from a Wyndham owner. Once we were given a week in Williamsburg by a very kind TUGger trying to use up points.

elaine

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I'd do what escanoe said--you can likely get similar in II. In fact, we might do this next year for Christmas ourselves! Greensprings is lovely and the units are very large. If open (closed during Covid), it has a excellent indoor pool, large spa, and great saunas in locker rooms. 10 minutes via Newtown to Colonial Wllmbg.
You can request 2 twins or 1 queen in 2nd bedroom. I prefer J layout, but the other layout is fine. All are 4 bedroom that are 2 connected (by inner hall door) 2 bedrooms units. The beds are newish and very comfortable.

maggiesmom

TUG Member
Reaction score
I'd do what escanoe said--you can likely get similar in II. In fact, we might do this next year for Christmas ourselves! Greensprings is lovely and the units are very large. If open (closed during Covid), it has a excellent indoor pool, large spa, and great saunas in locker rooms. 10 minutes via Newtown to Colonial Wllmbg.
You can request 2 twins or 1 queen in 2nd bedroom. I prefer J layout, but the other layout is fine. All are 4 bedroom that are 2 connected (by inner hall door) 2 bedrooms units. The beds are newish and very comfortable.
Does the living room still look like this
1651955120954.png

1651955189629.png

pedro47

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
I feel Greensprings Resort could be a Platinum Resort with the proper use of maintenance fees and maintenance staff. IMHO

Big Matt

TUG Member
Reaction score
Elaine notes that Greensprings is better located than Manor Club. My take is that every timeshare in Williamsburg is no more than 10 minutes from Colonial Williamsburg with some closer to Busch Gardens (Kings Creek) while others are closer to the outlet mall (Manor Club, Colonies, whatever Williamsburg Plantation is called now). Greensprings and whatever Powhattan is called now are closer to New Town. Others are much closer in off of the Bypass or right on Richmond road. IMO, there is no timeshare in Williamsburg that is truly bad. The ones at Governor's Green have 3BR and Kings Creek has up to 4, but I'm not sure what you will get in the bargain basement. Christmas is on a Sunday this year, and you may do well to check in on Christmas eve, but really it is the week after that has the best bargains. Williamsburg shuts down in terms of crowds right after New Years.

elaine

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott can only use one entrance/exit from Ford's Colony and I feel it's "farther" and more driving to Wllbg. As Big Matt notes, nothing is that far. But, I found I like the ease of the drive from Greensprings. Gov Green is also nice, but usually I'm grabbing a low cost RCI deal for GS or booking GS just for a weekend for cash (very good rates). I'd definitely take M over GS if cost was the same (or slightly more), but have been happy in my 5+ GS stays.

tschwa2

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I like to go to grand illumination weekend/week which is usually around the first Sunday in December but it looks like this year they are doing it the first and second Saturdays and the Wednesday in between in December. The nice thing if you do a Friday-Friday you can pick whether Saturday or Wednesday would have the nicer weather. Usually you can get a Platinum escape through Interval for around $200 for the week at Colonies or VV at Williamsburg. We do it every other year and combine it with the boardwalk drive for toys for Tots and Christmastowne at Busch Gardens.

escanoe

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
DRI in Williamsburg:

I have never stayed at Greensprings (I certainly would). I stayed at Historic Powhatan once. I was a bit concerned about Historic Powhatan before arriving. Once resorts are down to 3.5 stars or circles on RCI or TripAdvisor, I get worried my family will not be happy with the accommodation.

I will say Historic Powhattan is undoubtedly the nicest 3.5 circle TripAdvisor resort I have ever stayed at.

After the trip, I spent some time going through the reviews on TripAdvisor to see if there are any lessons to be drawn. My working theory for why Historic Powhatan and likely Greensprings are underrated is because rather than factoring in the resort fee as an expense .... some guests did not expect it and some are just unhappy or mad about it. My guess is those two resorts are paying a consumer rating penalty because their resort fees are out of line with what would be expected for Williamsburg.

Now that Historic Powhattan is "up to Hilton Grand Vacations" standards I am curious if they do something to try to improve the consumer review scores. I do not know of another Hilton timeshare that is that low.

I feel Greensprings Resort could be a Platinum Resort with the proper use of maintenance fees and maintenance staff. IMHO

Big Matt

TUG Member
Reaction score
Greensprings and Manor Club are actually in residential neighborhoods with golf courses. Everything else are either refurbished hotels (Westgate, Patriot's Inn, and Patrick Henry) or stand alone complexes. After Manor Club, the ones that I think are really nice are Governor's Green and Kings Creek.

maggiesmom

TUG Member
Reaction score
Received a match for a getaway for my dates in Williamsburg at The Townes at Kings Creek Plantation , but the reviews are iffy.
And they are not stating all the fees(this was a major problem on reviews-( you have to pay utilities, parking,Housekeeping etc..)
And the employees are not great according to reviews . So is it worth taking the risk. Not sure if allowed to post amount for the week 2/2/sleeps 6. Is this the 2 level unit???. TIA

escanoe

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I don’t mind rolling the dice to try something new at Williamsburg at that level of resort.

It seems to be a solid 4/5 in reviews with a few mixed recent reviews.

To each their own.

You may need to hold out for the Marriott.