• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Williamsburg on July 4th?

csxjohn

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Tropic Shores Resort, Bluegreen points
I was thinking there is probably no better place to celebrate Independence Day than in Colonial Williamsburg. My wife thinks it might be crazy crowded.

I'm thinking it will be completely full for the fireworks then the crowd will disappear like it does during the Grand Illumination.

Have you stayed during July 4th week and what was it like?

Do they still re-enact a significant day in the history of the revolutionary period on the same day each week?

I have a 24 hr hold on a unit at The Historic Powhatan Resort.

Thanks for any help.

mtforeman

TUG Member
Reaction score
We own at Powhatan during what is often the independence day week.

We always have a lot of fun. Things are crowded but you have to expect that. I enjoy the nightly lights show at Busch Gardens.

silentg

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Fitzpatrick's Castle Holiday Homes,
Enchanted Isle.
I was thinking there is probably no better place to celebrate Independence Day than in Colonial Williamsburg. My wife thinks it might be crazy crowded.

I'm thinking it will be completely full for the fireworks then the crowd will disappear like it does during the Grand Illumination.

Have you stayed during July 4th week and what was it like?

Do they still re-enact a significant day in the history of the revolutionary period on the same day each week?

I have a 24 hr hold on a unit at The Historic Powhatan Resort.

Thanks for any help.

I would go!

tschwa2

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
A few in S and VA, a single resort in NC, MD, PA, and UT, plus Jamaica and the Bahamas
Don't forget about the possibility of crazy heat and humidity.

I am not sure who you have it on hold through but don't forget about the DRI resort fees. This is from their Fact Page https://www.diamondresorts.com/The-Historic-Powhatan-Resort/Factsheet

When Checking In: - Hotel Guests and Exchange Reservation: A photo identification, credit card for $100 security deposit and a nightly $10.00 plus tax resort fee will be required (cash is not an acceptable form of deposit).
Resort Fee includes WiFi, business center, indoor pool, racquet ball, tennis and boarding pass printing.

So it looks like it will be an extra $70 plus tax for a weeks stay unless you are the owner or the guest of an owner.

Big Matt

TUG Member
Reaction score
CSXJohn,
you are right. Just like Grand Illumination. The only difference is that it is light later into the evening so you are really done at around 10 at night. Probably eat before the fireworks. Hit DOG Street pub afterwards for a shnocker.

northovr

TUG Member
Reaction score
Diamond is getting crazy with there resort fees at least Kingsgate has a awesome arcade that is worth the 6 dollar a day resort fee. All the games were on freeplay and they had 4 brand new pinballs

thanks Dan

Iwant2gonow

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Sheraton Vistana, Mountain View at Crown Ridge
We went for the 4th years ago. Remembered as some of the best fireworks still to this day. Unfortunately I can't remember if the fireworks were in Williamsburg or Busch Gardens. I would go!

csxjohn

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Thank you all for your posts.

The exact warning on the Fact Sheet was on a welcome letter when I visited a Diamond resort this Jan. I called my exchange company and asked them to check since it was not listed anywhere on my agreement.

The call the resort and assured me there would not be that charge. When I got there no mention of that charge was made.

I will call the resort this morning since it's still on hold to ask them directly.

wackymother

TUG Member
Reaction score
We stayed at Powhatan last summer in a 4br, and they did charge us the $70 fee times two, for two two-bedroom units.

csxjohn

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
We stayed at Powhatan last summer in a 4br, and they did charge us the $70 fee times two, for two two-bedroom units.

Ouch! Who did you exchange through?

pedro47

TUG Member
Reaction score
It is going to be Hot and Humid in July.

wackymother

TUG Member
Reaction score
Ouch! Who did you exchange through?

RCI. But on the plus side, it was just one exchange fee for the 4br, and I think just something like 22 TPUs. We thought it was still a good deal.

We were there over July 4th, and while it was crowded, it wasn't that bad--certainly not so crowded that you would need to avoid going. Water Country and Busch Gardens were crowded. It was very, very hot and humid.

northovr

TUG Member
Reaction score
And they took out the hot tubs in the units and no steam engines in the bathroom

diamonds resort fees are outrageous

daniel6

tschwa2

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
A few in S and VA, a single resort in NC, MD, PA, and UT, plus Jamaica and the Bahamas
Thank you all for your posts.

The exact warning on the Fact Sheet was on a welcome letter when I visited a Diamond resort this Jan. I called my exchange company and asked them to check since it was not listed anywhere on my agreement.

The call the resort and assured me there would not be that charge. When I got there no mention of that charge was made.

I will call the resort this morning since it's still on hold to ask them directly.

Did you get an answer on the resort fees exchanging through I would guess DAE?

csxjohn

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Did you get an answer on the resort fees exchanging through I would guess DAE?

Yes, I finally got an email from the resort. RCI exchangers pay the daily fee II do not. I wrote back and asked about DAE and they said yes, I would pay.

Now, the resort in Scottsdale had the same verbiage in my ressie confirmation but I was not charged.

The 24 hr hold ran out before I got any answers and DAE did not open in time to talk to them. When I called them about Scottsdale they made a call and they were told I would not be charged, which I wasn't.

It looks like it may be up to the resort. I was looking at a different Diamond resort in Branson and their daily fee is $5.

I'm not interested in paying an extra $70 for really nothing special.

Thank you all again for all the replies.

csxjohn

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Update

I went to DAE today to see what else they may have for July 4th week and there was the resort I had put on hold. Turns out it was hung up in the system for a few days. I feel lucky that no one took it before today.

I put it on hold again and called my contact person at DAE to find out for sure for me like they did on my recent trip to AZ. She called back and said I will not have to pay the fee.

So I booked it and will be enjoying the holiday in a place where much of it started.

Thanks again for all the posts.

tschwa2

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Enjoy. Now you have to decide which fireworks you want to see- Colonial Williamsburg, Busch Gardens, Yorktown also has a nice display over the York river. Even though the displays don't start until dusk, you have to be at the parking areas between 4-5 if you hope to get a decent spot. I heard that some people pull into the exit of Busch Gardens about 20 minutes prior and just park on the exit ramp before getting to the parking tolls and watch from there.

csxjohn

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Enjoy. Now you have to decide which fireworks you want to see- Colonial Williamsburg, Busch Gardens, Yorktown also has a nice display over the York river. Even though the displays don't start until dusk, you have to be at the parking areas between 4-5 if you hope to get a decent spot. I heard that some people pull into the exit of Busch Gardens about 20 minutes prior and just park on the exit ramp before getting to the parking tolls and watch from there.

I will attend the ceremonies at CW, my main purpose for this trip at this particular time but thanks for the suggestions.