• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Will retrading from one Disney resort to another change my Disney Park/Dining reservations?

2rebecca

TUG Member
Reaction score
I'm currently confirmed into a 1 bedroom at DSS. It will sleep all 5 of us, but I've been keeping my eye out (and fingers crossed) for a 2-bedroom. We aren't within 60 days of check-in, so I don't have dining reservations, yet, but I plan to make them ASAP. I plan on purchasing park tickets soon, so I will have park reservations. I'll be searching II for a larger room until last minute. Does anyone know what will happen to my existing reservations if I'm able to retrade into a larger Disney room (presumably a different resort)? Since the reservation number is linked to My Disney Experience, will it cancel my other reservations especially the ones that give preference to onsite guests? It took over 2 months after II confirmed my exchange before Disney could give me a reservation number. I had to call twice until I got a helpful cast member that spent an hour getting the other dept to process my paperwork. I'm wondering if a retrade might go into limbo for weeks/months.

mdurette

Sighting Expert & TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Good question and I don't have a solid answer.

What reservations would you be making in advance that require a room reservation?? I haven't been since Feb - but at that time I could only make Dining and Park reservations in advance. Neither of which require you to be onsite. What have they added or what did I miss?

bnoble

TUG Member
Reaction score
Does anyone know what will happen to my existing reservations if I'm able to retrade into a larger Disney room
Nothing will happen to the park passes---those are tied to your tickets, not to your resort reservation. The only reason the dining plans might change is if you booked them "early" as part of the on-site resort perks. Since you aren't doing that, those shouldn't change either.

As an aside: we found restaurant availability to be much tighter this past March than usual, even accounting for the fact that it was busy. I would not wait too long to make *some* reservations.

2rebecca

TUG Member
Reaction score
Good question and I don't have a solid answer.

What reservations would you be making in advance that require a room reservation?? I haven't been since Feb - but at that time I could only make Dining and Park reservations in advance. Neither of which require you to be onsite. What have they added or what did I miss?
I'll preface this by saying, I haven't been to Disney since 2017 and I've never stayed onsite, so I could be mixing old/new Disney lingo. I could also just be wrong, but let's not tell my husband that! In either case, I hope someone here will set me straight!

I was referring to anything that onsite guests are entitled to reserve in advance of the general public. When I last went, there were things like dining reservations, FastPass, pre-arrival Magic Bands, etc that onsite guests could reserve/purchase early. For instance, it is my understanding if you stay onsite you are able to make dining reservations 60 days in advance, whereas the general public can only make them 30 days in advance. I'm not sure how Genie+ works and if there is early registration for that, but if so, I'm wondering if that will get canceled if do a retrade through II.

2rebecca

TUG Member
Reaction score
Nothing will happen to the park passes---those are tied to your tickets, not to your resort reservation. The only reason the dining plans might change is if you booked them "early" as part of the on-site resort perks. Since you aren't doing that, those shouldn't change either.

As an aside: we found restaurant availability to be much tighter this past March than usual, even accounting for the fact that it was busy. I would not wait too long to make *some* reservations.
Yes, dining reservations are one of the things I was wondering about. I haven't reserved anything yet, but I do plan to do so at the 60-day mark. I'm just wondering if I find a last-minute retrade, what happens to those dining reservations?

rickandcindy23

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Founder; Disney OKW & SSR; Marriott's Willow Ridge,Shadow Ridge,Grand Chateau;Val Chatelle; Hono Koa OF (3); SBR(LOTS), SDO a few; Grand Palms; WKORV-OF (2),Westin Desert Willow.
I'll preface this by saying, I haven't been to Disney since 2017 and I've never stayed onsite, so I could be mixing old/new Disney lingo. I could also just be wrong, but let's not tell my husband that! In either case, I hope someone here will set me straight!

I was referring to anything that onsite guests are entitled to reserve in advance of the general public. When I last went, there were things like dining reservations, FastPass, pre-arrival Magic Bands, etc that onsite guests could reserve/purchase early. For instance, it is my understanding if you stay onsite you are able to make dining reservations 60 days in advance, whereas the general public can only make them 30 days in advance. I'm not sure how Genie+ works and if there is early registration for that, but if so, I'm wondering if that will get canceled if do a retrade through II.
Gone are the days of FP+ at 60 days for onsite guests. I loved that system, we got FP+ for a park every day, and we always got to ride the newest rides without waiting. Now it's a pay-in-advance benefit, and I cannot see reason to pay for it. I know that staying onsite we were able to get into the parks an hour before opening and rode what we wanted to without paying. That is a great onsite benefit. They say the parks open 30 minutes ahead for onsite guests, but they opened earlier than that. Take advantage whenever you can. Our kids were on our reservation but stayed at Marriott's Grande Vista instead.

Last edited:

TheHolleys87

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
DVC Boardwalk Villas, Kona Coast II
Yes, dining reservations are one of the things I was wondering about. I haven't reserved anything yet, but I do plan to do so at the 60-day mark. I'm just wondering if I find a last-minute retrade, what happens to those dining reservations?
No worries. At 60 days before checkin you’ll be allowed to book ADRs for that day and for the length of your stay, up to 10 additional days. Offsite guests can make ADRs only one day at a time, 60 days before each day. The onsite reservation simply opens that 60+ window; the ADRs aren’t linked to your resort reservation otherwise. If you get your upgrade and a new reservation number, as long as the last ADR is less than 60 days away, you won’t lose anything.

And as others have said, your park reservations are linked to your tickets, so changing resorts won’t affect them either. I would buy tickets and reserve parks ASAP, though, because you never know when a given park will fill up and no longer be available to book. You can book now and then change things around as you get closer, if available, but if you wait and parks book up before you reserve anything, you’ll be stuck trying over and over just to get something.

Inhislove

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Catalina Beach Club
I was concerned about this- actually park passes for annual passholders differentiate whether your park reservations is connected to a reservation or just to your pass.

When you make a park reservation with a pass, it gives you the option to modify or cancel.
When you make a reservation connected with a resort reservation, it can only be cancelled.

Due to a lack of AP park reservations during the Guardians preview (and not understanding they were going to give an automatic park reservation for those who got the preview), I booked a room in order to make Epcot reservations for the day of our preview, which was at 12:30pm (before park hopping starts). When I saw that they gave automatic Epcot reservations, I cancelled the room and duplicate Epcot reservations but left the Hollywood studios park reservation for check-in day. It was a test to see if that would be cancelled (as I thought it would be), but it never disappeared. We were able to use it.

Inhislove

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Catalina Beach Club
C3A14BA5-E8C3-4726-ABB7-325198336079.png
Can you see the different buttons for annual pass vs resort park reservations?

TheHolleys87

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
DVC Boardwalk Villas, Kona Coast II
park passes for annual passholders differentiate whether your park reservations is connected to a reservation or just to your pass.
Yes, and if you change your resort reservation to a different resort your park pass reservations will remain, as long as the dates are the same. If changing resorts results in a different confirmation number, simply make sure the new confirmation number is linked in MDE before you drop the first one.