• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Will my grandkids be obligated to complete my timeshare agreement?

timeos2

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
I am experiencing this right now. We inherited my mother- in- laws's house a year and a half ago, just before everything really crashed. We have had it on the market for over a year. We have lowered and lowered the asking price, but every deal we have had has fallen through, because people just can't get mortgages. The house had a mortgage on it & with the taxes, it is costing us $1,900 a month plus utilities, ect. My mother-in-law would never in a million years have guessed what a burden this would have turned into.

You really expect anyone to believe that you inherited her mortgage? I could believe you if you were trying to sell the house for the estate and you were an executor - but you can't inherit a house with a mortgage in someone else's name. You would have no legal responsibility (unless you were on the mortgage already, which is something you might be failing to disclose - and in that case, it would have already been your house)

You don't inherit a mortgage. The bank cannot transfer the obligation to another family member not already on the deed. But the mortgage does stay with the property. So if you are the designated heir that mortgage has to be satisfied by the estate, or you or reaffirmed by the new owner. It doesn't just magically disappear at the death of the original owner.

So while the OP may not be personally liable for the mortgage the inability to sell the property means the estate is being reduced each month by the required payments and cannot be finalized. It seems the money is flying away every month I'd guess.

oregonguy

Reaction score
So if you are the designated heir that mortgage has to be satisfied by the estate, or you or reaffirmed by the new owner. It doesn't just magically disappear at the death of the original owner.

Well, of course. I never stated the mortgage would disappear - just that you can't inherit a mortgage. If you do nothing in this situation, the house will be foreclosed on and you will lose the house (even if you are on title) - you are also responsible for property taxes regardless whether you are on the title or not. For estate planning purposes, it seems to me that shared title houses are a bad idea.

oregonguy

Reaction score
No comparison in price but the obligation you sign on for IS the same. In most cases there is deed on file with the local registrar just as there is for a home. The rights and obligations are the same. The value does impact those but does impact the owners ability to sell and the desirability of the deeded ownership to a buyer. But none of that change what you paid to own and the legal obligations you agreed to. Until someone else agrees to take it over you or your estate if you're gone are responsible.

You do a very good job at bringing up points to argue that were never made in the first place. This is the second post to me where you do this. I never made the argument that both aren't deeded and registered. There is a world of difference between the two, try selling a timeshare compared to a condo.