• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Wilford Brimley, 'Cocoon' Star, Quaker Pitchman Dies at 85. R.I.P.

Passepartout

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score

Rolltydr

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
CWA, Ocean Blvd, Fairfield Glade
I always enjoyed Mr. Brimley. I found several things interesting in reading his obituary in the Washington Post. One of his early jobs after leaving the Marine Corps was as bodyguard for Howard Hughes. For those of you who remember the tv show The Waltons (my wife was a huge fan), he actually had himself written out of the show over creative differences with the producer. I was also a little surprised that he was “only” 85. I would have guessed he was in his 90s. RIP Mr. Brimley.

Sandy VDH

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wynd VIP Plat GF, HGVC Elite, WM, HICV, +
I was also a little surprised that he was “only” 85. I would have guessed he was in his 90s. RIP Mr. Brimley.

I was surprised to. He has looked in his 80 for the last 25 years. In 1985 he was a Senior in Cocoon. That was 35 years ago. So he was playing old long before he was that old.

pedro47

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Loved him in his role in Cocoon. He real age of 85 is surprising .

AnnaS

TUG Member
Reaction score
I have always enjoyed Mr. Brimley too. Loved him in Cocoon. RIP

PigsDad

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Elite: SeaWorld, Surf Club, Charter Club, Valdoro
Loved him in his role in Cocoon. He real age of 85 is surprising .
Surprising which way? He looked old in Cocoon, and that movie was released 35 years ago!

Kurt

rickandcindy23

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Founder; Disney OKW & SSR; Marriott's Willow Ridge,Shadow Ridge,Grand Chateau;Val Chatelle; Hono Koa OF (3); SBR(LOTS), SDO a few; Grand Palms; WKORV-OF (2),Westin Desert Willow.
He even looked aged in The Natural with Robert Redford (Rick's comment to me).

Passepartout

TUG Member
Reaction score
1596474286037.png

A classified ad from the Idaho Daily Statesman archives from 1964 He lived and worked with horses in Marsing Idaho.

DaveNV

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
He was also in the first remake of The Thing (the one with Kurt Russel)l from 1982. He played a bad-ish guy in that one, who looked older than his years. The guy had the character actor thing dialed in, for sure.

Dave

Sandy VDH

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wynd VIP Plat GF, HGVC Elite, WM, HICV, +
Surprising which way? He looked old in Cocoon, and that movie was released 35 years ago!

Kurt

That was my point, He looked 80 when he was only 50.

AnnaS

TUG Member
Reaction score
Perhaps he had premature graying/white hair? To me Steve Martin has looked the same also for the last 30-40 years......:ponder:

Passepartout

TUG Member
Reaction score
Perhaps he had premature graying/white hair? To me Steve Martin has looked the same also for the last 30-40 years......:ponder:
He was 'prematurely' darn near bald. Sez the guy with the white fringe around the solar collector. :)

AnnaS

TUG Member
Reaction score
I googled and looked back to some pictures of when he was young. He was not premature gray/white - ;) - yes, starting balding early too. I guess he always looked a bit older for his age. I also looked at some recent pictures - of course -he did "age".

May he Rest in Peace.