• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Why the flu shot cannot give you the flu (and why you should get one now)

Luanne

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
San Diego Country Estates
Both dh and I have now had both of the shingles shots. My arm was more sore than usual, and for a longer period of time. Dh had the flu like symptoms for a day each time. But that's better than my sil who decided not to have the shingles shots because she didn't want to deal with potential side effects on an upcoming trip. She got shingles last November and still isn't quite over them. And she did have the earlier shingles vaccine.

clifffaith

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark
My wife and I both took the shingles vaccine today. I also took a flu shot in the other arm. I feel fine and my wife has a very sore back. Its odd because the shot was in her left upper arm but her back at the bottom of her shoulder is sore.

We will see how this goes. I think I'm not going to have any problem but I might be taking my wife to the ER if her pain gets worse.

Bill

Did you get through the evening without a trip to the ER?

easyrider

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark * * Villa Del Palmar UVCI * * Vacation Internationale*
Did you get through the evening without a trip to the ER?

Yes, no trip to the ER. I put the heating pad on her back and gave her some motrin. Where the pain was is not where the shot is. It was under her left shoulder blade so we thought we better watch because of what we both learned with my heart problem. Neither one of us slept well last night and today I feel run down with sore arms, lol.

The bummer is we have to get the second shot withing 6 months.

Bill

WinniWoman

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Innseason Pollard Brook
I have never gotten the shot, but my husband has. I have heard so many stories from people of how they got the flu right after the shot.

I did have the new shingles shots (2) (as well as the original) and I was sick for a day with each of them. My husband only had the original vaccine. He just never made his appts and they would have been covered under his insurance. Since they have to be 6 months apart, too late now with his insurance. When he goes on Medicare (1/1) I do not think they will be covered so not sure if he will want to get them or not.

WinniWoman

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Innseason Pollard Brook
Like I said - you pays your money and makes your choice. I have nothing against people getting flu shots. I don't, and I stated my reason why.

I know a broad spectrum flu vaccine is under development. I'll take that one, if it successfully comes out. (Monday I'll be taking a MMR. I check my Measles titre, and my immunity had disappeared.)

Same with me regarding the flu vaccine.

Passepartout

TUG Member
Reaction score
I have never gotten the shot, but my husband has. I have heard so many stories from people of how they got the flu right after the shot.

I did have the new shingles shots (2) (as well as the original) and I was sick for a day with each of them. My husband only had the original vaccine. He just never made his appts and they would have been covered under his insurance. Since they have to be 6 months apart, too late now with his insurance. When he goes on Medicare (1/1) I do not think they will be covered so not sure if he will want to get them or not.
When he goes to his 'Welcome to Medicare' checkup, they'll go over immunizations and catch up what is needed as well as a baseline EKG if he hasn't had one and generally go over his general health. It's a good thing.

Panina

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hgvc Anderson, Blue Ride Village Resort
Me and my other half got the flu shot the other day. Normally I get sick a few days. This time no reaction. He never has a reaction, the same this time.

klpca

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SDO, Quarter House, Seapointe, Coronado Beach, Carlsbad Inn, Worldmark
Both dh and I have now had both of the shingles shots. My arm was more sore than usual, and for a longer period of time. Dh had the flu like symptoms for a day each time. But that's better than my sil who decided not to have the shingles shots because she didn't want to deal with potential side effects on an upcoming trip. She got shingles last November and still isn't quite over them. And she did have the earlier shingles vaccine.
I can't get the shingles shot because of the medication that I am on for my rheumatoid arthritis and I am so terrified of getting shingles! I get every vaccine that I can, but I can't do live vaccines. I can't even get the new one that isn't live (Shingrix?) but I don't understand why. I can't wait until they develop a vaccine that I can tolerate.

wilma

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Red Wolf Lakeside Lodge, Hanalei Bay Resort, Sweetbriar Lake tahoe, Marriott Canyon Villas, Hyatt High Sierra, Point at Poipu

The 2nd shingles shot is given 2-6 months after the first, and medicare part d pays if you get the shot at a pharmacy not the doctor’s office.

Luanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
The 2nd shingles shot is given 2-6 months after the first, and medicare part d pays if you get the shot at a pharmacy not the doctor’s office.
Medicare doesn't pay the full cost of the shingles shots. Mine lost $40 each and dh paid $80 each. We are both on Medicare and had the shots at pharmacies. I've heard some people, on Medicare, paying over $100 per shot.

WinniWoman

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Innseason Pollard Brook

Good to know because if he decides to do it, he will get it at a pharmacy. That is what I did.

clifffaith

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark
Medicare doesn't pay the full cost of the shingles shots. Mine lost $40 each and dh paid $80 each. We are both on Medicare and had the shots at pharmacies. I've heard some people, on Medicare, paying over $100 per shot.

Cliff paid $37 the other day. I (not Medicare) paid around $140 last year for the first, nothing for the second shingles shot. All of my prescriptions became free this year, I have no idea why unless it was Anthem Blue Cross' parting gift. They are out of the California market starting next year, leaving me to find a new insurance plan for 11 months (assuming Medicare starts for me Dec 2020 because I turn 65 that Dec 30th).

VacationForever

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
We meant to get our flu shot before our trip to S Carolina but did not get around to it. We walked into CVS today and was told that my plan does not cover out of state but I can walk over to their minute dr desk and get it for $25. I said I will wait until Monday when I get home. My husband insisted that I get mine NOW and I said nope. He went on to get his over 65 flu vaccine.

MULTIZ321

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
BLUEWATER BY SPINNAKER HHI
ROYAL HOLIDAY CLUB RHC (POINTS)
I think the price of the new Shingle Vaccine Shots (Series of 2 shots) varies depending on your locale. Here in South Florida, they were free at the Publix Supermarket Pharmacy (I think Medicare was billed for the shots).

The Flu Shot was free and you received a $10 Publix gift card.

Richard

Luanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
Every shot/vaccine I've had since Medicare (flu, pneumonia) have not cost me anything, with the exception of the shingles shots.

rapmarks

TUG Member
Reaction score
I think the price of the new Shingle Vaccine Shots (Series of 2 shots) varies depending on your locale. Here in South Florida, they were free at the Publix Supermarket Pharmacy (I think Medicare was billed for the shots).

Richard
I am surprised at that, I was told $25 each but they didn’t have the vaccine

easyrider

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
It seems I caught a cold or something after getting the shots a couple of days ago. Just the sneezy runny nose and watery eye kind of cold. Might have been hanging out with the grandkids is the cause but I'm not ruling out the shots.

Bill

easyrider

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned

Richard

That is nice. Get a flu shot and have a gift card to buy some beers.

Bill

WinniWoman

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Innseason Pollard Brook
He should do it now, then he can get second dose in December

I thought it has to be like 6 months apart? That is what they told me when I had mine. Anyway- I am not even sure he wants to do it.

wilma

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Red Wolf Lakeside Lodge, Hanalei Bay Resort, Sweetbriar Lake tahoe, Marriott Canyon Villas, Hyatt High Sierra, Point at Poipu
I thought it has to be like 6 months apart? That is what they told me when I had mine. Anyway- I am not even sure he wants to do it.
2-6 months after 1st shot

Passepartout

TUG Member
Reaction score
I'll guarantee that if he doesn't get it, and be unfortunate enough to get shingles, he'd pay ANY price to be rid of the disease. It's extremely painful, and lasts a l-o-o-o-n-g time.

Panina

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hgvc Anderson, Blue Ride Village Resort
I'll guarantee that if he doesn't get it, and be unfortunate enough to get shingles, he'd pay ANY price to be rid of the disease. It's extremely painful, and lasts a l-o-o-o-n-g time.
When I got the old shingle shot my other half got shingles the following week. I knew what it looks like so got him to the doctor with 24 hours, he was given medicine and it was mild.

PigsDad

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Elite: SeaWorld, Surf Club, Charter Club, Valdoro
Anyway- I am not even sure he wants to do it.
After having seen my wife suffer through two bouts with shingles (and she can't get the vaccine due to an autoimmune disease), I don't understand why anyone would not want the vaccine. It's sad how much misinformation there is out there about vaccines -- and how many people get taken in by that misinformation.

Kurt