• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Why Is Orlando Taking So Long to Recover?

CPNY

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Harborside Resort at Atlantis
SVV - Key West/Bella
WKV
Regal Vista at Massanutten
Our Universal ones though I am renewing while the 3 extra months is in effect. Just got my son his AP as it was around same price as the promo (2 park to park buy 2 days get 2 free) and the seasonal AP will be good for 15 months.

I renewed my UOAP and when I added it to the cart it came up with a $0.00 price, it renewed. Score!!

CPNY

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SVV - Key West/Bella
WKV
Waited 50 minutes today for the Hagrids motorbike and Gringott's rides. Skipped the Mummy which said it was 45 minutes (WHAT?!). It was a mixed bag today, we rode most of what we wanted to but the crowds are coming back
Aye..... I rode hagrids 12 times consecutively and 26 times overall in my few visits during June. I’m going to miss that

Monykalyn

TUG Member
Reaction score
I renewed my UOAP and when I added it to the cart it came up with a $0.00 price, it renewed. Score!!
Are you KIDDING?? Please tell me you are kidding-mine did same and since I thought it was a glitch I called to pay!!

CPNY

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SVV - Key West/Bella
WKV
Are you KIDDING?? Please tell me you are kidding-mine did same and since I thought it was a glitch I called to pay!!
I’m not kidding lol. What did they say when you called??

it went through and I just checked again. 2 park Renew valid on sept 2020.

amycurl

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Rolling 7 day average of percent positive cases in Florida is 11% as of today. That is *crazy* high and basically represents unchecked community spread. It's at a level where contact tracing won't help.

Monykalyn

TUG Member
Reaction score
I’m not kidding lol. What did they say when you called??

it went through and I just checked again. 2 park Renew valid on sept 2020.
You aren't kidding??
Well I wanted to renew my daughters pass too-and that comes up with right price but technically her window shouldn't be open for another 2 months to renew. When I did both mine and my daughters hers was correct price in cart, mine was $0.00. So I called to get it fixed as I didn't want the 3 month free thing to go away. TM told me I shouldn't be able to renew kiddos (her expiration is in december) but he could do mine, so I did...ugh!
Now I am mad :crash: LOL

Oh well - DH got the refund for his disney annual pass today. And if I get same amount of refund I will have gotten a free 8 day disney ticket for our trip in January 2020. I had an AP certificate from Sam's club before price hike - we activated same day he got his pass.

CPNY

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SVV - Key West/Bella
WKV
You aren't kidding??
Well I wanted to renew my daughters pass too-and that comes up with right price but technically her window shouldn't be open for another 2 months to renew. When I did both mine and my daughters hers was correct price in cart, mine was $0.00. So I called to get it fixed as I didn't want the 3 month free thing to go away. TM told me I shouldn't be able to renew kiddos (her expiration is in december) but he could do mine, so I did...ugh!
Now I am mad :crash: LOL

Oh well - DH got the refund for his disney annual pass today. And if I get same amount of refund I will have gotten a free 8 day disney ticket for our trip in January 2020. I had an AP certificate from Sam's club before price hike - we activated same day he got his pass.
Wow. That’s rough. Of course I’ve come to know that anytime there is a glitch in the system they find out about it. I’m holding onto my confirmation and screen shots of the renew valid in September just in case. Lol

TTSDavid

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
TheTravelSecret
We checked in to Sheraton Vistana Villages today. Occupancy is 18%. Nothing is open, which we knew. You can really only swim in the pools. They did open up the towel exchange at the Bella and Key West pools again. You previously had to get towels at the front desk.

I asked at check in what occupancy was over Labor Day weekend and they said it may have gotten up to 30%. We also recently visited three beach resorts and they have all been busy. Occupancy probably upward of 80%. So that has me wondering, what is it about Orlando that is unappealing? Is it simply the over supply? These resorts probably run about 80% occupancy throughout the year. But over several stays after WDW reopened occupancy has pretty much been in the same 20% range.

I suspect it won't go much higher until Thanksgiving and then drop back down until Christmas and New Year's. Why is Orlando taking so much longer to recover than beach locations?

Everhone talks about Hawaii because they are essentially at 0% occupancy, but I don't think Orlando is very far behind and there are no travel restrictions with Orlando.
The tickets to the parks must be bought in advance and some precautionary measures must be followed. Perhaps some people are unaware that Orlando opened its parks or think that the precautions are difficult to follow.

In general, Disney is taking a lot of care, there are people cleaning the surfaces of the parks all day long, there is space for the lines, before entering they take the temperature and they have a maximum of people per day. I hope they can soon increase their occupancy, like the beach destinations!

heathpack

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hyatt High Sierra and Highland Inn
Disney’s Grand Californian and Hilton Head Island
Marriott Barony Beach and Mountainside
MVC Points
Sheraton Broadway Plantation
I just had some photos show up today in my FB feed that tell me we have not been Orlando in a decade, so obviously it’s not a high priority place for us.

BUT we are DL locals and easily went to Disneyland 10x in the 6 months prior to the COVID shutdown. We have less-than-zero interest in going now. A huge aspect of DL for is us is a sense of being carefree. It would not feel very carefree to have everyone in masks, to know some folks think COVID is a hoax, and to have no idea who those people are.

Additionally, DL is expensive and a lot of what we enjoy (fireworks, shows) isn’t happening now. Meaning we have even less-than-less-than-zero interest in going.

I imagine we’re not terribly different than a lot of people. It’s just not appealing right now. More power to the folks who want to go, I don’t care if others go or stay home. But cheap airfares and cheap getaways and short wait times for rides are not inducements for us in the least.

Sea Six

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Club Regency - Marco Island
Lagunamar - Cancun
Vistana Villages Key West (2) - Orlando
One son lives in Orlando. We said we had some options left over and were considering going to Disney for a week for a visit and to see them. He told me DO NOT COME HERE. Several of his friends caught COVID at Disney. He said it was a petri dish. I guess he hears more news up there than I do. We're waiting it out a bit longer. I get why Disney is not opening more, even though the .gov allowed it.

dioxide45

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
One son lives in Orlando. We said we had some options left over and were considering going to Disney for a week for a visit and to see them. He told me DO NOT COME HERE. Several of his friends caught COVID at Disney. He said it was a petri dish. I guess he hears more news up there than I do. We're waiting it out a bit longer. I get why Disney is not opening more, even though the .gov allowed it.
How does he know he caught it at Disney? Was he only at Disney or at home? Not in contact with any other people?

rickandcindy23

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Founder; Disney OKW & SSR; Marriott's Willow Ridge and Shadow Ridge,Grand Chateau; Val Chatelle; Hono Koa OF (3); SBR(LOTS), SDO a few; Grand Palms(selling); WKORV-OF ,Westin Desert Willow.
Nothing new. Disney has always been the best place to catch whatever cold or virus is out there. I do not care. I am going next week. I had the antibodies, but the doc wasn't sure how long those last. I will get tested when we get our flu shot tomorrow. Doc said just to go to the lab because the antibody test is ordered. We had very mild cases of Covid starting 3/1. Sore throat, mild cough, pain in the chest and back. Then after 3 days, symptoms were gone.

Sea Six

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Club Regency - Marco Island
Lagunamar - Cancun
Vistana Villages Key West (2) - Orlando
How does he know he caught it at Disney? Was he only at Disney or at home? Not in contact with any other people?
I'm just repeating what he said from his friends in Orlando. There won't be any scientific evidence to back up this statement. At least consider he and his friends live and work in Orlando every day - you don't.

Last edited: