• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Why has the $800 limit not risen with inflation?

LAST MINUTE RENTAL POSTING LIMITS
You may offer or request weeks beginning no later than
May 13, 2024
Maximum asking price in public posts is $800/week or $115/day

thetangs

TUG Member
Reaction score
I’m wondering, and I might be wrong, but the $800 upper limit for renting has not increased in years and yet the MF increase in many cases much more than inflation. Cannot even come close to recouping the Marriott MF for an Oceanwatch oceanfront unit. Would rather a tiger get it, but looks like Redweek will be the only option. Has there been any thought to raising the max to $1000 or the actual cost of MF plus guest certificate?

NiteMaire

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott G. Château
HVC Sedona Summit
VVR The Colonies
I’m wondering, and I might be wrong, but the $800 upper limit for renting has not increased in years and yet the MF increase in many cases much more than inflation. Cannot even come close to recouping the Marriott MF for an Oceanwatch oceanfront unit. Would rather a tiger get it, but looks like Redweek will be the only option. Has there been any thought to raising the max to $1000 or the actual cost of MF plus guest certificate?
$800 is a recent change. It was $700 for the longest time. I agree that it's still very low.

CaliSunshine

Reaction score
I agree that 800 is low, especially for two bedroom units. Perhaps a $1000 limit, or different limits depending on size would be a bit more appropriate.

However, I don't agree with the MF+Guest Certificate route. Tug already offers free rental listings. This forum, like the free or low priced weeks for sale forum, is for advertising "good deals." If the limit were anywhere close to MF+Guest Certificate, half of the timeshare owners on the planet would start posting here, and it would ruin the purpose of having it.

Ken555

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Kierland
Sheraton Desert Oasis
I wasn’t even aware it was now $800. I thought it was still $700. Lol

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Bonnet Creek
I think it's too low. A 2 or 3 bedroom for $800 is a steal. You are correct...INFLATION. This post will be remove because of it's location. But, most of us selling: agree with you.

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
TreeTops Resort, Gatlinburg
I personally like the $800 limit. This is "specifically a last minute" forum. Tug offers the Marketplace for everyone wanting to list their available rental. The only difference, I think, and I may be wrong is it costs money (or you have to pay and be a member) to list. I enjoy looking at both places, but know if I look at the last minute, they are cheaper, as should be. JMO

SmithOp

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC King's Land 2BR Premier 23.040K Points.
I think it's too low. A 2 or 3 bedroom for $800 is a steal. You are correct...INFLATION. This post will be remove because of it's location. But, most of us selling: agree with you.

and yet you have an ad in here for a 2br at $499, why didn’t you ask $799?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

needvaca

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
MGO, WKV, SVV Bella
There was a long (5page) discussion about this in 2019. Search “discussion about last minute rentals”. The price was raised from $700 to $800 at that time. Discussion closed. The short answer is:

- last minute rentals are ONLY for truly last minute bargain rentals- doesn’t matter what your maintenance fee is. No one cares
- if you want to list for over $800 or past 45 days out, become a TUG member for $15 and list in the regular Rental section. And/or list in multiple other places like Redweek, Craigslist, vacation Candy, etc

bizaro86

TUG Member
Reaction score
There was a long (5page) discussion about this in 2019. Search “discussion about last minute rentals”. The price was raised from $700 to $800 at that time. Discussion closed. The short answer is:

- last minute rentals are ONLY for truly last minute bargain rentals- doesn’t matter what your maintenance fee is. No one cares
- if you want to list for over $800 or past 45 days out, become a TUG member for $15 and list in the regular Rental section. And/or list in multiple other places like Redweek, Craigslist, vacation Candy, etc

Given this was raised to $800 very recently (after years if threads exactly like this one) I think change in the near term is unlikely.

The mod team has consistently said making it more complicated (ie a higher limit for larger or fancier units) is a non-starter due to the time it takes to administer.

elaine

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Eagles Nest, DVC-AKV, HHI
I view it as distress with coverage of some of my annual fee. Raising limit to $800 was appreciated.

Sandy VDH

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wynd VIP Plat GF, HGVC Elite, WM, HICV, +
This rate is the reason I do not use LMR to post available units, nor do I response to requests for LMR.

If you want a 2 BR in Hawaii for Thanksgiving, then good luck, but it is NOT going to be ME that is renting it at $800 for the week. But perhaps someone else will.

If I find myself with something that I could rent for a profit I would add it to LMR, but I generally do not want to train everyone using LMR to get what they are asking for at the price the board demands. Especially requests for larger units (3 and 4 BRs) and NYC and other harder to get locations. I see crazy requests up here and just shake my head and go on to the next item.

Makai Guy

Administrator
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Spicebush (Hilton Head Island)
Tell this guy to stop beating a dead horse. It's animal abuse.........
You just told him.

No dead cartoon horses were injured in the production of this post.

b2bailey

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I actually laughed when I read OP -- remembering the struggle it was to get it all the way up to $800. I'm my mind it was never meant to 'cover' anything. More like, this unit will go to waste unless someone can use it.

Fredflintstone

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Rent only
Sigh.

Renters 1
Owners 0

I like the bargains. If I want to get something specific, I go to the regular section.

Hey, 800 is better than zip imo.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
If we raised the price to $1,000, the forum would be flooded with for-profit rentals. That is not the objective of the forum.

LAST MINUTE RENTAL POSTING LIMITS
You may offer or request weeks beginning no later than
May 13, 2024
Maximum asking price in public posts is $800/week or $115/day