• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Why do so many people die at Angels Landing?

dlpearson

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORN, SVV (Bella), MOC, MBP, 7MileBeach Club
I hiked this trail about 3-4 years ago. My wife refused to come with me (she's scared of heights). Absolutely stunning journey that a moderately-healthy, in-average-physical-shape-person can do without too much difficulty. But there are moments along the summit (very narrow chain trail, and while on the top of the mesa edge) that I thought--wow, I can see why this hike is not for everyone. I definitely would not bring younger children on this hike. I would be a basket case of nervousness the entire time about them getting too close to the edge.

davidvel

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Shadow Ridge (Villages)
Carlsbad Inn
It is an extremely dangerous hike that many "regular" people get lucky making it up and back. I'm surprised there are not more deaths.

CO skier

TUG Member
Reaction score
It is an extremely dangerous hike that many "regular" people get lucky making it up and back. I'm surprised there are not more deaths.
I was thinking the title of the article should be, "How Do So Few Perish While Hiking Angels Landing?"

April to November there are a couple hundred people moving in each direction on the chained section at any given time.

It is worth the effort. Best advice for anyone attempting it is to get on one of the first shuttles in the morning to avoid most of the crowds, at least for the way up the chains. Remember, too, that the climb up is only half of it, and what goes up, must come down. It is always the descent that gets my adrenaline running.

For anyone who may want to make the climb from the comfort and safety of their favorite chair, this will give a "you are there" feeling (there are also shorter videos). I would suggest muting the music and playing something like "Flight of the Valkyries" for the climp up from the warning signs at Scout Lookout.

DaveNV

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
Nope. Not for this kid. I'm not afraid of heights, as such. But I'm terrified of falling to my death from a great height. Have fun. I'll take pictures of you from the ground, and notify your next of kin if you don't make it. :oops:

Dave

geist1223

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark 97,000 Credits
DRI Cabo Azul 50,500
Royal Solaris San Jose del Cabo
I have the opposite problem. I have had many dreams over my life time that involved me being able to fly. Have no idea what that means. But I am sometimes tempted to leap from a great height to see if I can.

Last edited:

twise625

TUG Member
Reaction score
I did "part" of this hike a few years ago. It was VERY busy. The up and down portion along the chains takes place along the same section of chain, so, you could have a large group of people coming up and a large group of people coming down and trying to use the same chain - essentially one group has to give-way to the other to allow them to pass before the other can proceed. There is not much room for error when stepping away from the chain to allow that other group to pass in a lot of spots.

My husband is very afraid of heights. He was literally shaking head to toe and crawling up the chain on hands and knees but he would not stop on his own (stubborn/macho?) unless I called it. After about 4 sections of chains, I suggested that our friends go on and we wait for them right at the start of the chains.

While we waited, we saw a group of college aged kids come up. There was a young lady in the group wearing short cowboy boots. The rest of the group was encouraging her to carry on with the hike....

There were 3 guys in the group who proceeded to RUN up the start of the chained area - around the other hikers. We were there long enough to witness them coming down and telling their friends that other people on the trail were so slow they had to cut around them at times. Sometimes its not your own actions its the idiots you end up out there with that make it so dangerous.

Mongoose

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hyatt Pinion Pointe, HGVC The Bay Club, HGVC Elara, Worldmark
I've climbed it. Its amazing and it can be dangerous. Especially if high winds come through. Also, I saw people with completely inpatriate footwear and fools acting foolishly. How many people die each year taking selfies? In todays culture, I wouldn't be surprised if the close it.

pedro47

TUG Member
Reaction score
The Dunn River walk was enough for me in Jamaica and this hike is for the truly adventures type person.

pedro47

TUG Member
Reaction score
I was thinking the title of the article should be, "How Do So Few Perish While Hiking Angels Landing?"

April to November there are a couple hundred people moving in each direction on the chained section at any given time.

It is worth the effort. Best advice for anyone attempting it is to get on one of the first shuttles in the morning to avoid most of the crowds, at least for the way up the chains. Remember, too, that the climb up is only half of it, and what goes up, must come down. It is always the descent that gets my adrenaline running.

For anyone who may want to make the climb from the comfort and safety of their favorite chair, this will give a "you are there" feeling (there are also shorter videos). I would suggest muting the music and playing something like "Flight of the Valkyries" for the climp up from the warning signs at Scout Lookout.

I love this video. Beautiful scenery and outstanding all around nature hike. I would had stop at the bridge and waited for everyone to complete the hike and return to start point. LOL.

bbodb1

TUG Member
Reaction score
High radiation belt of the Northern Hemisphere
Resorts Owned
RCI Weeks: LaCosta Beach Club, RCI Points: Oakmont Resort, Vacation Village at Parkway. Wyndham: CWA and La Belle Maison, and WorldMark.
I thought Bosch solved this. :cool: