• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Why do people list offerings already under contract?

4Sunsets

Reaction score
Am I missing something or is it a complete gimmick for a timeshare company to post a NEW timeshare listing that is already under contract? If so, why do they do it?

Panina

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hgvc Anderson, Blue Ride Village Resort
My guess is to get new contacts for future listings and/or to try to sell you something else in their inventory.

Many months ago I made contact with a well known, recommended Realtor who had a listing. I was told it was sold. Today the listing is still active. This Realtor mentioned a different resort in the same area with a higher price and never contacted me again but then again I emailed the Realtor to say I found what they offered me at a much lower price.

terces

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC LVB x3, Sandos Mexico for RCI points
I'm betting it was Diane Nadeau - she has an old HGVC listing on Redweek, and a song and dance when you ask her about it

natarajanv

TUG Member
Reaction score
there is also another recommended Realtor who has a listing in myresortnetwork who has a highly desirable week since last October , when I contacted him I was told that it was sold. That listing is still there. I guess they are just trying to avoid the relisting fee.

CalGalTraveler

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC, MVC Vistana
It's cheap advertising to find buyers they can contact.

buzglyd

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGV Lagoon Tower
HGV Carlsbad Seapointe
Gaslamp Plaza Suites
SVV Bella
and there is always "you can make a back up offer" canard. That just makes the potential buyer think they need to make a full price offer.

I had a situation a couple of years ago. An agent called me saying they had a buyer for my summer Carlsbad Inn week. I wasn't actively selling but would always listen to an offer. They offered a decent price based on the market and I agreed to sell. Then, the agent calls me and says there is an issue with the title. The seller would still take it but for a few thousand less. I said no deal. She sent an email and told the escrow company to refund the deposit. She later called back and offered full price once again even with the "defect" on my title. I smelled a rat and once again told her no deal, you canceled the transaction via email.

She then started threatening me with her attorney and I told her to stick it where the sun doesn't shine. Haven't heard a thing since and still own my week. Many resellers are former front line sales people and still haven't come to grips with the truth.

AJCts411

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hyatt Sunset x 2
Simple..bait, they bait you into calling them. Also have seen is, and for me, I question why would I buy from someone using deception to sell something?

natarajanv

TUG Member
Reaction score
The problem is, these are the people who we recommend to buy resale from ( not everyone, but looks like we have identified 2 of them)

4Sunsets

Reaction score
This was a brand new listing on Redweek, posted the day I inquired... The timeshare agent said it was under contract but he had others he could provide information on. Really frustrating.

hurnik

TUG Member
Reaction score
I think they all do it. But not sure if it's an on-purpose (realtors do it here as well for homes), or lack of staffing to remember to pull the ads. Judi Koz had done it as well years ago when I was looking. Would inquire about the listing, only to be told it was either sold or under contract. Would see the same listings days, weeks and months later.

On the one hand, I can see if they're hedging bets (just because something's under contract doesn't mean something wont' happen and things will fall apart at the last minute, so then you can have a backup or something).

But, I have problems when you tell the broker that the listing is still active (especially if it's sold) and weeks/months later it's still there. THAT, IMO is either lazy or bait and switch (oh, that's not for sale, but I have this other more expensive one for you).

CalGalTraveler

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC, MVC Vistana
At least they told you upfront it was sold. I contacted an agent who did not disclose this upfront and directly negotiated with me on my offer. I thought I was negotiating on a bona fide listing.

This agent then took more than a week to come back with a contract. I now believe the agent went out and found someone in his rolodex willing to sell at the price I negotiated.

To me this is unethical because the offer should be considered directly by the seller because the agent immediately turned down my first offer without consulting with a seller. The contract delays should have been a red flag. I always ask for the MLS number now when dealing with an agent to know it is their listing.

Last edited:

Mr Smith

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC- Lagoon Tower Platinum 2B Premeire
HGVC - Elara Platinum 1B Grand Plus
When I bought my resale unit at hhv they left the posting up. I told them I would back out of escrow if they didn’t take it down. They either leave it up to get a back up offer or hope someone will offer them more than what is already in escrow. Either way it is unfair to the buyer because if they get a better offer they will back out of the already agreed price.

Some agents may do this for bait and switch or whatever but I have yet to experience it. I did however have troubles with some of the already mentioned agents. Ymmv

SteelerGal

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKV, SDO, HPP, Bay Club
I know the ones I purchased off of RedWeek have shown in Escrow but to call. I also inquired on listings at MyResort and it was a bait and switch. At least 5 of my inquiries were unavailable. Other more expensive options were made available however thanks to TUG, I knew the TMV.
EBAY is such a hit or miss so I just watch:)

Hsahota1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGV
At least they told you upfront it was sold. I contacted an agent who did not disclose this upfront and directly negotiated with me on my offer. I thought I was negotiating on a bona fide listing.

This agent then took more than a week to come back with a contract. I now believe the agent went out and found someone in his rolodex willing to sell at the price I negotiated.

To me this is unethical because the offer should be considered directly by the seller because the agent immediately turned down my first offer without consulting with a seller. The contract delays should have been a red flag. I always ask for the MLS number now when dealing with an agent to know it is their listing.

I too had a similar experience. I was young and naive lol

4Sunsets

Reaction score
I'm learning too. thanks everyone