• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Why Buy Wyndham if I Own RCI?

Ty1on

TUG Member
Reaction score
Are you doing something different now?

The only thing different is yesterday, I logged in and went straight to typing "Hawaii, USA" in the search box, while today I used View All Resorts to use the map, and later typed "Hawaii, USA" into the search box.

I historically have not done well searching Hawaii in RCI, and today's results are probably the most I've seen at once. It's relaxing my "junk no one else wants" attitude a bit.

Eric B

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Vacation Village, Wyndham, WorldMark, Vistana, Vidanta, Flora Farms, HGVC Max, and some independents
The only thing different is yesterday, I logged in and went straight to typing "Hawaii, USA" in the search box, while today I used View All Resorts to use the map, and later typed "Hawaii, USA" into the search box.

I historically have not done well searching Hawaii in RCI, and today's results are probably the most I've seen at once. It's relaxing my "junk no one else wants" attitude a bit.

Interesting; it's probably related to how they have the search function set up. The other thing you can do is drill down using the "Region" tab on the left to select "USA" then select "Hawaii". You might check to see if that gives you a different result than using the search function.

I'd suggest substituting "dang that's a lousy search interface" for the "junk no one else wants" thought. There's generally some halfway decent stuff available in there if you can find it, but there's a learning curve to do that and they periodically change the interface to make it harder.

troy12n

Reaction score
Right, I'll pay you Tuesday for a hamburger today. They're a wholesaler. Now a resort system.

Sent from my Lenovo TB-X103F using Tapatalk

This is an absolutely ridiculous statement and comparison.

I don't use RCI much, and as such, don't want to tie up any of my timeshare system points locked up in RCI. I have points I can deposit INTO RCI if I see a need, and want to exchange.

I don't know too many people who just deposit points into RCI just to do it, on the off chance they might use them one day...

It's one thing if you have timesharepoints that you HAVE to either deposit into RCI or lose them, but it makes no sense to me to do this under any other circumstance.

I have 0 Wyndham points left in my current use year, but can still see inventory. In case I want to buy / rent points from wyndham or borrow points from future UY.

raygo123

TUG Member
Reaction score
This is an absolutely ridiculous statement and comparison.

I don't use RCI much, and as such, don't want to tie up any of my timeshare system points locked up in RCI. I have points I can deposit INTO RCI if I see a need, and want to exchange.

I don't know too many people who just deposit points into RCI just to do it, on the off chance they might use them one day...

It's one thing if you have timesharepoints that you HAVE to either deposit into RCI or lose them, but it makes no sense to me to do this under any other circumstance.

I have 0 Wyndham points left in my current use year, but can still see inventory. In case I want to buy / rent points from wyndham or borrow points from future UY.
Again they are not a resort system. Why do you expect the rules to be the same? And no your not a RCI user. I would bet most if not all of the major system owners rarely use, and try to avoid RCI. It goes back before points. Deposits are needed before anyone can book. And RCI needs the fees from those deposits.

Sent from my Lenovo TB-X103F using Tapatalk

troy12n

Reaction score
Again they are not a resort system. Why do you expect the rules to be the same? And no your not a RCI user. I would bet most if not all of the major system owners rarely use, and try to avoid RCI. It goes back before points. Deposits are needed before anyone can book. And RCI needs the fees from those deposits.

I realize you need to deposit before you can book, i'm not debating that, but you just aren't listening. It makes no sense to not show inventory unless you have deposited points. Otherwise you have situations where people try to look for ways they can use RCI, see a bunch of crap, then never use it...

troy12n

Reaction score

For what it's worth, I just logged into my RCI, and I searched "exchanges", then "Hawaii, USA" and it brings up 36 resorts,

Most of which show very little in availability except a handful of days or weeks inside 60 days, I see nothing past November for days or weeks. While on the Wyndham side, I see pretty much wide open availability.

To me, this screams leftovers. I wanted to try to look at a comparison where I could check availability on both systems. What's weird is currently on the Wyndham side they have no availability in 2BR units at all, but in RCI you can get a 2BR. Odd that they would deposit larger units.

I'm curious to see if anyone with deposited points or TPU's sees anything differently than me.

Also, apparently I do have a RCI points account because I can see now I can book for invervals less than 1 week. I swear I did not have this ability before the recent website change.

troy12n

Reaction score
I'm gonna throw one more thing at you, just for comparisons sake, I looked at Club Wyndham Smokey Mountains, a week in March 11-18 available in both RCI and Wyndham. 2BR deluxe 126k points in Wyndham... full points cost. In RCI, 165k points + Exchange fee. The same week was available in Extra Holidays for ~$650.

I get the idea of RCI and Exchanges is "one price based on room size and type of week", but the economies of this don't always work in our favor as Wyndham owners.

There might be bargains to be had, but there's also bad deals.

Last edited:

ailin

TUG Member
Reaction score
I'm gonna throw one more thing at you, just for comparisons sake, I looked at Club Wyndham Smokey Mountains, a week in March 11-18 available in both RCI and Wyndham. 2BR deluxe 126k points in Wyndham... full points cost. In RCI, 165k points + Exchange fee. The same week was available in Extra Holidays for ~$650.

I get the idea of RCI and Exchanges is "one price based on room size and type of week", but the economies of this don't always work in our favor as Wyndham owners.

There might be bargains to be had, but there's also bad deals.

Anything that costs relatively few Wyndham points is likely to be a bad deal going through RCI. The reverse is also true. Example - Wyndham Shearwater 3 bedroom is 600k points for a week. It's 300k through RCI.