• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Why Buy Wyndham if I Own RCI?

raygo123

TUG Member
Reaction score
I ran across something similar to what is being reported. I called RCI for an explanation. I was told the site does some filtering on a search. It only shows availability based upon what the person doing the search has enough points/TPUs to cover the cost.

I will say this was a few years ago so things may have changed. But, it sounds like a reasonable filter to me.
It still that way. In weekend you have 17 TPUs you see all 17 and below.

Sent from my Lenovo TB-X103F using Tapatalk

troy12n

Reaction score
I ran across something similar to what is being reported. I called RCI for an explanation. I was told the site does some filtering on a search. It only shows availability based upon what the person doing the search has enough points/TPUs to cover the cost.

I will say this was a few years ago so things may have changed. But, it sounds like a reasonable filter to me.

This seems completely flawed to only show inventory if you have TPU's or points deposited in RCI. I would imagine most people don't have points deposited into RCI unless they have an immediate use. TPU's I guess are a different story if you have fixed weeks you deposit into RCI. But I would like to think that inventory would show regardless.

If not, maybe that's something that should get fixed.

paxsarah

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Ocean Boulevard, Flagstaff, Grand Desert

I don't know that this is necessarily the case with a minisystem portal like Wyndham. If that were true, then I should see zero inventory because I don't have any Wyndham points deposited right now, and not being VIP, RCI doesn't have the ability to automatically pull my points when I decide to make an exchange - I have to manually deposit them first. In fact, some of the exchanges I'm able to see require more Wyndham points than I have available to deposit right now.

But it is weird that I'm only seeing 17 results and others are seeing 31-33. I would have assumed that I'm only seeing Weeks inventory and the others are seeing Weeks + Points in Wyndham (I don't have access to Points as a resale owner), but it seems even a standard Weeks account is seeing 30+ results. :ponder:

raygo123

TUG Member
Reaction score
This seems completely flawed to only show inventory if you have TPU's or points deposited in RCI. I would imagine most people don't have points deposited into RCI unless they have an immediate use. TPU's I guess are a different story if you have fixed weeks you deposit into RCI. But I would like to think that inventory would show regardless.

Why do you need to see something you can't book?

Eric B

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Vacation Village, Wyndham, WorldMark, Vistana, Vidanta, Flora Farms, HGVC Max, and some independents
I think the filtering of results for what you can book predated the shift to TPUs from just keeping the trading value proprietary and doing a week-for-week exchange. That said, though, I do know that RCI differentiates what resorts are made available to specific corporate accounts like the Wyndham and HGVC ones. Might do the same for individual accounts based on the ownership they're associated with. My RCI weeks account is one I established quite a while ago when I bought my first TS at Massanutten.

paxsarah

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
But as a gold or above member he can book something instantly without having the points deposited.
That said, as I mentioned above I don't think the TPU filters on visibility apply to minisystem portal accounts, so it's really a moot discussion.

raygo123

TUG Member
Reaction score

As far as points, that's a totally different situation. With points when you log in to the portal, it shows the number of points you have available in bother deposited points and points you have in your Wyndham account and should see all

raygo123

TUG Member
Reaction score
But as a gold or above member he can book something instantly without having the points deposited.
That said, as I mentioned above I don't think the TPU filters on visibility apply to minisystem portal accounts, so it's really a moot discussion.
No they don't. The portals are a separate negotiations as to how they work. In our case the TPU values are done on a bedroom basis and averaged out as to their value. Hence a Disney One booking is the same points as a one bedroom at a Shawnee village. So your seeing everything but unless you have the number of points you cannot book anything. Where with RCI weeks there may be at least something to book even if it is of lesser value than what you own, there will be something even if it is only worth one TPU.

bnoble

TUG Member
Reaction score
as I mentioned above I don't think the TPU filters on visibility apply to minisystem portal accounts
They don't apply to "straight Weeks" accounts with TPU either---at least not as the prior poster describes. For example, the largest TPU value I have on deposit right now is 56, but I am able to see e.g. NYC inventory with TPU values above that. For that inventory, I am reminded that I can combine deposits in order to make the relevant exchange.

The filtering that does happen in Weeks accounts is based on date: you cannot see any inventory beyond the latest expiration date of your current deposits. Right now, my latest deposit expires at the end of August 2023, so I cannot see any inventory in September 2023 (the latest that RCI currently allows).

I suppose it is also possible that RCI will not show you inventory that you cannot obtain via any combination, but I can't test that because I have more than 60 TPU total on depost that can be combined, and 60 is the maximum value.

JeffC

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Mauna Loa Village, Sweetwater at Kauai, Club La Costa
From my experience you can see inventory that is available to book based on your highest TPU deposit. After you scroll through that inventory there is a list of weeks that you can book by combining, that list is filtered by the max amount of TPU's from the combos and the date that it would expire.

Ty1on

TUG Member
Reaction score

Ummmm, maybe because if you see something you want, you can then deposit points and book it?

Ty1on

TUG Member
Reaction score
So this morning I went back in and instead of searching "Hawaii" I used All Resorts and the map. I can find a few resorts, but so far the ones I've looked at have been within the next two months only.

raygo123

TUG Member
Reaction score
Ummmm, maybe because if you see something you want, you can then deposit points and book it?
Right, I'll pay you Tuesday for a hamburger today. They're a wholesaler. Now a resort system.

Eric B

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Vacation Village, Wyndham, WorldMark, Vistana, Vidanta, Flora Farms, HGVC Max, and some independents
So this morning I went back in and instead of searching "Hawaii" I used All Resorts and the map. I can find a few resorts, but so far the ones I've looked at have been within the next two months only.

My curiosity is piqued. Are you doing this search with an individual RCI weeks account rather than a corporate one (e.g., Wyndham or one of the others)? If so, what do you have on deposit in terms of TPUs and expiration date? Is Last Call checked on the results page? (Last Call is the only way I can get close to reproducing those results.)

Ty1on

TUG Member
Reaction score
Right, I'll pay you Tuesday for a hamburger today. They're a wholesaler. Now a resort system.

No, sparky.

You see a resort you want. 126,000 points.
You have 80,000 points.
So you deposit 46,000 points.
Wait for the points to appear in RCI.
See if the resort you want is still available.
Book the resort if it is still available.

And RCI isn't a wholesaler by any means.

Ty1on

TUG Member
Reaction score
My curiosity is piqued. Are you doing this search with an individual RCI weeks account rather than a corporate one (e.g., Wyndham or one of the others)? If so, what do you have on deposit in terms of TPUs and expiration date? Is Last Call checked on the results page? (Last Call is the only way I can get close to reproducing those results.)

I'm using Wyndham portal and I have 130K points deposited. And I meant to say a few resorts on each island. The number of resorts that appeared was actually pretty impressive overall.

Free2Roam

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Club Wyndham, Quarter House, a handful of East Coast beach resorts
Many years ago I had a problem with my Wyndham RCI account (can't remember if it was my original RCI Weeks account or the one thru the portal). Even though it was paid by Wyndham, the RCI account was set to expire within a couple months, preventing me from searching inventory. I called RCI and, after a few attempts, they fixed it. I haven't had that problem again since.

Eric B

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I'm using Wyndham portal and I have 130K points deposited. And I meant to say a few resorts on each island. The number of resorts that appeared was actually pretty impressive overall.
Many years ago I had a problem with my Wyndham RCI account (can't remember if it was my original RCI Weeks account or the one thru the portal). Even though it was paid by Wyndham, the RCI account was set to expire within a couple months, preventing me from searching inventory. I called RCI and, after a few attempts, they fixed it. I haven't had that problem again since.

Looking in my Wyndham RCI account, even limiting the search to 7 day stays I get 37 resorts in Hawaii and 2,245 resorts worldwide. @Free2Roam is probably on the right track re: the Wyndham RCI account being set up improperly. If it were me, I would either call or chat with RCI to see if the problem can be fixed and to verify that there is in fact more availability out there than the limited amount that is showing up.

geerlijd

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Shanty Creek Vacation Club
WorldMark
Wyndham Bali Hai
Wyndham Canterbury
Wynhdam South Shore
No, sparky.

You see a resort you want. 126,000 points.
You have 80,000 points.
So you deposit 46,000 points.
Wait for the points to appear in RCI.
See if the resort you want is still available.
Book the resort if it is still available.

And RCI isn't a wholesaler by any means.
If you don't have enough points in your Wyndham RCI account, you can call in and RCI will put the exchange on hold for you if it's an underlying RCI weeks exchange. That gives you a couple days to move the points in and confirm. This is for any Wyndham RCI owner (I'm not VIP).

RCI points exchanges can't be held.

paxsarah

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
But it is weird that I'm only seeing 17 results and others are seeing 31-33.
And now I'm seeing 29, which seems in line with everyone else. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

bnoble

TUG Member
Reaction score
Even though it was paid by Wyndham, the RCI account was set to expire within a couple months, preventing me from searching inventory. I called RCI and, after a few attempts, they fixed it. I haven't had that problem again since.
Yeah, I remember those days. Happily it seems to have been fixed.

Looking in my Wyndham RCI account, even limiting the search to 7 day stays I get 37 resorts in Hawaii and 2,245 resorts worldwide.
I only see 29 Hawaii resorts in my Wyndham RCI Portal, but I am pretty sure I am not PlusPartners, so I do not see Points inventory at all. I see 31 in my straight Weeks account. I don't have the time right now to figure out which two are missing or why.

bnoble

TUG Member
Reaction score
I lied, because I was curious. The two resorts that my Weeks account sees that my Wyndham non-PP account does not are:

Alii Kai (a single unit: 2-Oct-21)
Vacation Internationale Aloha Towers (a single unit: 27-Sept-21)

Given the usual problems of ghost inventory, etc. etc. that we see all the time in all of these systems, that's probably as good as I'd expect.

Ty1on

TUG Member
Reaction score
If you don't have enough points in your Wyndham RCI account, you can call in and RCI will put the exchange on hold for you if it's an underlying RCI weeks exchange. That gives you a couple days to move the points in and confirm. This is for any Wyndham RCI owner (I'm not VIP).

RCI points exchanges can't be held.

Nice to know, thanks!

Ty1on

TUG Member
Reaction score
And now I'm seeing 29, which seems in line with everyone else. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I show 28 total at this moment, which is probably something being snatched up since you saw 29

ETA: And for giggles, I just searched "Hawaii" instead of navigating the map. This is the search that gave me only Paniolo Greens yesterday. All 28 appear now.

Eric B

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I show 28 total at this moment, which is probably something being snatched up since you saw 29

Are you doing something different now?