• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Why Buy Wyndham if I Own RCI?

Ty1on

TUG Member
Reaction score
I don't know. I been booking for the kids my two daughters and each have two children. Last year first week of August in Wisconsin Dells this year Smokey Mountain lodge a two and three bedroom. Every year spring break etc. I would book a Wyndham where they want to go for spring break. This year The Fountain's showed up. I had just cancelled my Quebec city Trip and received my points back. I paid the $89 Travel Insurance and received my points and a credit for my exchange fee but points had to be booked by end of year.

I switched my daughter to The Fountains and cancelled my WYNDHAM Bonet Creek I made for her. Take a look at the Fountains. It seems you don't have the luxury of time to fiddle with RCI.

Sent from my Lenovo TB-X103F using Tapatalk

Nice on the Wisc Dells. I'm not sure how I would judge Smokey Mountain Lodge as quality of trade, as I've never been to the area. The Fountains doesn't impress me as a rebuttal to someone who said there are only few places you could find a reliable and decent exchange, and listed Orlando as one of them.

paxsarah

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Ocean Boulevard, Flagstaff, Grand Desert
You know, the Sightings/Distressed forum is a good source for actual sightings of well-regarded resorts in RCI (as well as II).

raygo123

TUG Member
Reaction score
Nice on the Wisc Dells. I'm not sure how I would judge Smokey Mountain Lodge as quality of trade, as I've never been to the area. The Fountains doesn't impress me as a rebuttal to someone who said there are only few places you could find a reliable and decent exchange, and listed Orlando as one of them.
Quebec, cape Cod, Virginia Beach , Grand Mayan Cancun and Puerto Vallarta Nuevo etc. I bought a resale deed at Fox Run at lake lure back in '83. 17 TPUs for the first 10 years before converting to points. Trust me it is your perspective. Just as you have knowledge of easy to get into, did you ever think there are still people who want to go there?

troy12n

Reaction score
Do you still own Fox Run? Those MF seem pretty high. Not sure if it was always that way.

Ty1on

TUG Member
Reaction score
You know, the Sightings/Distressed forum is a good source for actual sightings of well-regarded resorts in RCI (as well as II).
And that is a fantastic example. II sighting have to outnumber RCI 10 to 1 if youbtake out SSR and OKW

Ty1on

TUG Member
Reaction score
Quebec, cape Cod, Virginia Beach , Grand Mayan Cancun and Puerto Vallarta Nuevo etc. I bought a resale deed at Fox Run at lake lure back in '83. 17 TPUs for the first 10 years before converting to points. Trust me it is your perspective. Just as you have knowledge of easy to get into, did you ever think there are still people who want to go there?

We use it for Vidanta all the time, even paying the insane resort fee now. But let's be honest, Vida dumps those weeks in RCI. Quebec and Cape Cod I dont really care about. Show me a decent exchange into a SoCal beach resort!!! Or a good Hawaii resort.

ailin

TUG Member
Reaction score
We use it for Vidanta all the time, even paying the insane resort fee now. But let's be honest, Vida dumps those weeks in RCI. Quebec and Cape Cod I dont really care about. Show me a decent exchange into a SoCal beach resort!!! Or a good Hawaii resort.

SoCal:
Carlsbad Inn Beach Resort late June
HGVC Marbrisa Thanksgiving

Hawaii:
HGVC Kings' Land spring break, Thanksgiving
The Cliffs at Princeville Christmas

Non-school holiday weeks:
HGVC Hilton Hawaiian Village Lagoon Tower December
Ka'anapali Beach Club January
Aulani February - my best ever exchange, probably never to be topped.

raygo123

TUG Member
Reaction score
We liked Vida so much we bought there. I think you don't like Wyndham and especially RCI. I think you have an attitude problem. Hell, I I even got into Lake condominiums at big sky in July. You my friend are cutting off your nose to spite your face. As Wyndham, you have to learn RCI. You are a preconditioned Wyndham owner. An owner that sees it a a terrible ulturnative to use your points. I like people like you. Stay ignorant. The more that you don't know that you don't know the better it is for me.

And in the end that's all that counts.

bnoble

TUG Member
Reaction score
Both things can be (and, in my experience, are) true: RCI is primarily the leftovers and things other people don't want, and RCI can be a source of true gems. The trick is that the gems are rare, and require some effort to identify and exchange into. Over time, the gems become fewer and farther between for all sorts of reasons. And even then, it doesn't always work.

That's why I usually advise people not to buy with the goal of regularly exchanging via third-party exchange--especially for folks who are relatively inexperienced with timeshare. It can be a nice option for the infrequent thing you can't use yourself, and sometimes can really deliver. But, it is not for the faint of heart. It works best if you can be opportunistic and place a few broad searches to see what turns up.

Ty1on

TUG Member
Reaction score
We liked Vida so much we bought there. I think you don't like Wyndham and especially RCI. I think you have an attitude problem. Hell, I I even got into Lake condominiums at big sky in July. You my friend are cutting off your nose to spite your face. As Wyndham, you have to learn RCI. You are a preconditioned Wyndham owner. An owner that sees it a a terrible ulturnative to use your points. I like people like you. Stay ignorant. The more that you don't know that you don't know the better it is for me.

And in the end that's all that counts.

You're making some very deep presumptions here.

Ty1on

TUG Member
Reaction score
SoCal:
Carlsbad Inn Beach Resort late June
HGVC Marbrisa Thanksgiving

Hawaii:
HGVC Kings' Land spring break, Thanksgiving
The Cliffs at Princeville Christmas

Non-school holiday weeks:
HGVC Hilton Hawaiian Village Lagoon Tower December
Ka'anapali Beach Club January
Aulani February - my best ever exchange, probably never to be topped.

Did you get the HGVCs through RCI Weeks?

And Aulani ws a golden unicorn. I doubt it will ever be seen again.

Eric B

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Vacation Village, Wyndham, WorldMark, Vistana, Vidanta, Flora Farms, HGVC Max, and some independents
Both things can be (and, in my experience, are) true: RCI is primarily the leftovers and things other people don't want, and RCI can be a source of true gems.

That pretty much sums up how and why markets work. People are willing to sell or exchange things they have that other people might want because there's something they would prefer to have. The price on stuff people don't want as much generally goes down over time and gets put on sale or goes unsold. If it were all leftovers that nobody wants, RCI wouldn't contribute anything to the Time + Leisure bottom line and would never have been bought out by Wyndham.

ailin

TUG Member
Reaction score
Did you get the HGVCs through RCI Weeks?

And Aulani ws a golden unicorn. I doubt it will ever be seen again.

Yes, RCI weeks. Most were ongoing search matches. Some might have been from Sightings of bulk deposits.

I know I'll probably never see Aulani again. The golden age of DVC exchanges is over. But I still have my search going. You can't win if you don't play, right? :D

troy12n

Reaction score
Regarding the ongoing searches. I have set a couple up, but never actually pulled the trigger. In doing these dry runs, it looks like you have to commit to purchase and commit CC to make the purchase before finishing setup.

Then if a search "hits", it's yours. But you have to make the financial commitment to it before you set up the search. And if you do a large date range, it could end up being a less than ideal fit.

So some tips here, which might make me more amenable to using the ongoing searches and RCI in general, to find one of those unicorns you keep talking about...

Ty1on

TUG Member
Reaction score
Regarding the ongoing searches. I have set a couple up, but never actually pulled the trigger. In doing these dry runs, it looks like you have to commit to purchase and commit CC to make the purchase before finishing setup.

Then if a search "hits", it's yours. But you have to make the financial commitment to it before you set up the search. And if you do a large date range, it could end up being a less than ideal fit.

So some tips here, which might make me more amenable to using the ongoing searches and RCI in general, to find one of those unicorns you keep talking about...

I was surprised that I was able to set up an OGS without paying the exchange fee in advance.

ailin

TUG Member
Reaction score

Usually, you need 1 exchange fee in your account to do an OGS. But you can set up as many as you want off of that 1 fee. Maybe sometimes they have a promo where no fee needed. I know I'll end up using it, so I don't mind having the money stuck there. You could always ask for a refund too.

Once it hits, you have 3 business days to confirm it or it gets released. I did have one time where it auto confirmed, which was very weird. I was able to get it canceled though.

troy12n

Reaction score
Usually, you need 1 exchange fee in your account to do an OGS. But you can set up as many as you want off of that 1 fee. Maybe sometimes they have a promo where no fee needed. I know I'll end up using it, so I don't mind having the money stuck there. You could always ask for a refund too.

That makes sense, I don't have any Exchange Fees or even points in there now, so that's probably what it was asking for funding info for then.

I guess it makes sense it asks you for something. I was curious if you needed this for every search, you answered that question.

Once it hits, you have 3 business days to confirm it or it gets released. I did have one time where it auto confirmed, which was very weird. I was able to get it canceled though.

Does it notify you, or do you have to log in to see the "hit"??

I'm assuming when you match the search, it tells you how many points you will need, and you have the ability to transfer points into RCI if you don't have it?

ailin

TUG Member
Reaction score
That makes sense, I don't have any Exchange Fees or even points in there now, so that's probably what it was asking for funding info for then.

I guess it makes sense it asks you for something. I was curious if you needed this for every search, you answered that question.

Does it notify you, or do you have to log in to see the "hit"??

I'm assuming when you match the search, it tells you how many points you will need, and you have the ability to transfer points into RCI if you don't have it?

You get an e-mail when it matches. It'll tell you how long the hold lasts, but not the number of points. You'll have to login to see that. Gold and above I hear the points get automatically pulled from Wyndham. We don't have that, so I go and manually deposit the points to RCI. It shows up in RCI the next day and then I confirm it.

geerlijd

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Shanty Creek Vacation Club
WorldMark
Wyndham Bali Hai
Wyndham Canterbury
Wynhdam South Shore
I have Plus Partners through Wyndham so I get weeks and points. Over the last several years I've booked the following exchanges:
-Hacienda Del Mar - Cabo in February (whale season)
-HGVC Kings Land in HI over Thanksgiving, then Hilton Hawaiian Village the following week
-2 weeks back to back in Aruba over Christmas (Costa Linda and Casa del Mar)
-Whistler Village in July
-Mountain Run at Boyne (Northern MI) in August
-Several weekends in Spring and Summer at Hotel Blake in Chicago

I've also used Last Calls and Extra Vacations for cheap weeks in Orlando, and off season in. Northern MI.

There is a lot in RCI if you use OGS and get familiar with how to find value that works for you.

Last edited:

Ty1on

TUG Member
Reaction score
Just looked in Weeks for ANY Hawaii, at ANY time.

Search results revealed Paniolo Greens, with one check-in date in October 2021 and one check-in date in November 2021. That's it. Up the side of a volcano far from the shoreline.

paxsarah

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Ocean Boulevard, Flagstaff, Grand Desert
Just looked in Weeks for ANY Hawaii, at ANY time.

Search results revealed Paniolo Greens, with one check-in date in October 2021 and one check-in date in November 2021. That's it. Up the side of a volcano far from the shoreline.
That's weird - I get 17 resorts in Hawaii (using my Club Wyndham weeks-only RCI account). Never having been there, I can't speak to how desirable they are, but several are Wyndham.

Eric B

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Vacation Village, Wyndham, WorldMark, Vistana, Vidanta, Flora Farms, HGVC Max, and some independents
In my RCI weeks account, I got 31 resorts in Hawaii, including a number of them on the beach. This is a stand alone non-corporate account. Not sure why @Ty1on would only get Paniolo Greens. I even tried limiting the dates of the search to between now and November, but still had a couple of dozen results.

Cyrus24

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
CWA, Royal Garden, Las Olas, VV at Parkway, Island Links
That's weird - I get 17 resorts in Hawaii (using my Club Wyndham weeks-only RCI account). Never having been there, I can't speak to how desirable they are, but several are Wyndham.
I pulled up 32 Hawaii resorts via my standard RCI Weeks Account. I pulled up 32 Hawaii resorts via my Wyndham RCI Account. In my RCI points account, I pulled up 31 resorts with 644 available units.

As a Wyndham VIPP, I'm very spoiled by discounted points and unlimited RT's. I can book and cancel at will which helps since I've not been the best planner, lately. I do like the options that RCI provides when I can truly plan for and commit to a trip.

tschwa2

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
A few in S and VA, a single resort in NC, MD, PA, and UT, plus Jamaica and the Bahamas
I have 33 Hawaii resorts available but if I filter out the next 60 days I am down to 8 in RCI weeks which is more along normal except after a big bulk deposit. There is still a bunch of last minute (more than usual) due to covid uncertainty.

rboesl

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Divi Village Beach & Golf Resort
Vidanta Grand Mayan
Villa del Arco Cobo
Grandview Las Vegas
Vacation Village at Bonaventure
I ran across something similar to what is being reported. I called RCI for an explanation. I was told the site does some filtering on a search. It only shows availability based upon what the person doing the search has enough points/TPUs to cover the cost.

I will say this was a few years ago so things may have changed. But, it sounds like a reasonable filter to me.