• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Why buy timeshare?

folashade

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Vistana Villages, SDO ,Kierland
FlyKaesan said:
I was thinking paying more than $400 for a week of accomodation is too much.

thanks!

If that amount works for you then promotion tours might be the best way for you to go. For me I was done with tours after I took my first one and $400 a week is simply not a realistic budget for me for accomodations

Why do I own a timeshare? First I spend 200+ nights in hotels a year for work. Nice hotels but it gets old when you have to eat out all the time. Sometimes I just want oatmeal or cheese and crackers and not have to call room service. As others have mentioned I like having a fridge to store drinks etc in.

2nd - Every year since I was young we have a family gathering over the summer either in Orlando, Hilton head, Myrtle beach or somewhere else on the eastern seaboard. When you add in the cost of hotel, tickets etc it is cheaper to timeshare vs getting a room in high season. I room with with my cousin and we split my MF's fees in half and it is much cheaper than what we would normally spend.

JanB

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
It sounds to me that you are single and vacation mostly by yourself. If not, then skip the following.

If/when a family comes along....wife, kids, parents, etc., vacationing can no longer be done on the cheap. Timesharing then becomes a great value. For us, the food and beverage savings alone nearly cover our maintenance fees, especially in Hawaii. And, the psychological savings that comes with spaaaaaace doesn't have a price tag. It truly becomes a vacation.

PeelBoy

TUG Member
Reaction score
I am single

JanB, I am unattached, but love timeshare. I can occupy a one bedroom or even a 2 bedroom, and now I have about 2 weeks of timeshare vacation every year.

I love time share because of the space, which you can never get from a hotel room. Last year, I spent a lovely week with one of the Mariott's in Palm Spring and thereafter, one night in a motel in San Diego, cuz I had to go to Tijuana for 2 days. You can image the difference, and I don't think I can check into a motel room any more.

An unanticipated outcome of timesharing is it will bring you to a location you can never image. I used to travel to big cities, but timeshare brings me to beautiful places on the beach and in the country, both domestic and international.

I would like to urge everyone not to count every nickle and dime, though I am still doing that. Time share is a part of live, a life style very enjoyable.

ladycody

TUG Member
Reaction score
I was thinking paying more than $400 for a week of accomodation is too much.
There is just no way I could spend $400 for 7 nights in a desirable vacation area. As someone else mentioned...even a super 8 will run you more than that.

Right now my MF's run me about 600 per year and that get's me access to about 8-16 nights in 2 bedroom condos (the number of nights depends on the season I choose to travel in). Even if I receive just 8 nights for red season travel...I'm content. There is no way I could afford to stay in similar accomodations on vacation if it were out of pocket. There are some really good rental rates out there...but most of the outstanding deals require short notice travel...and we just cant do our big family trips without more planning for time off.

Yes...I had a buy-in cost...but if I figure out the value of my vacations taken so far...It will have paid for itself in about 5-6 years (retail cost). After that...I'm traveling for the cost of my MF's. Now...the reality is that I know I wouldnt have traveled in the manner I am now accustomed to had I not purchased this TS...but am thrilled with the quality and quantity of our vacations now....so it was worth the initial buy-in to me. In addition, my children will hopefully get just as much use out of it when I'm done without the buy-in expense.

Another consideration is that the cheaper rentals may become far less accessible as baby boomers retire. The travel industry anticipates an extremely large increase in business as a result of those who retire and start traveling. As demand increases...the rental rates likely will as well.

Aw...heck...I dont know. :D I just love my TS and wouldnt trade it for the world.:p

folashade

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Vistana Villages, SDO ,Kierland
Single here as well

It sounds to me that you are single and vacation mostly by yourself. If not, then skip the following.

JanB I am single and sometimes vacation by myself and $400 for a week for lodging is unacceptable. Unless it was some phenomenal deal I would be afraid for my safety. TS is a perfect supplement to the travel I already do.

ownsmany

TUG Member
Reaction score
can't live without TS

I can't live w/o timeshares. Once you get them in your blood - watch out.

For me - it's the space. Have 2 children & like the extra space. I usually end up taking one of their less unfortunate friends (who has never been to a ts) along also. Some of the places we stay at our nicer than my home (Marriotts).

Love the locations we go to - staying right on the beach.

Timeshare kind of forces you to take a vk each year. Last year I took 4.
This next year I'm taking 4. I'll take as many wks as I can get off of work.

Time passes so quickly - I'm making memories that my children & I will never forget.

Totally recommend timeshares. But do what is best for you.

Mimi

TUG Review Crew
Reaction score
Timesharing is awsome

I am one of those baby boomers retiring this summer. DH has been retired since 2000. We have been timesharing for 11 years (since I turned 50!) and are we spoiled. We couldn't afford to travel and stay in hotels with our kids; they grew up on weekend camping trips and maybe a campground stay for a week or two during the summer. Now we take our children and grandchildren on family vacations to Florida and Hawaii every year and we enjoy our excursions to Vegas and Sedona with friends or by ourselves. We usually stock the refrigerator with breakfast items as well as snacks, beer, wine and soda. We look forward to dinner out while we are on vacation. Or sometimes we grill burgers, ribs, steaks and seafood, expecially when we have family members along. When we bought our first timeshare in Kona, we were advised to use a credit card to rack up frequent flyer miles. Not only do we charge EVERYTHING, we frequently open and close accounts to obtain bonus miles. We volunteer to get bumped every chance we get for additional free flights. We own where we want to go to avoid multiple trading fees. We also take advantage of last minute deals and getaways with II, RCI and Trading Places. Starting this year, we will pay $5000 in maintenance fees for 11 1/2 weeks of vacation. During odd years we have 11 weeks and even years we have 12 weeks. That is approximately $450 a week. We own 4 2br and 8 1br timeshares. With lots of vacation time expected in the near future, I sold 4 timeshares in South Africa (which were no longer cost effective) and purchased 3 in Las Vegas and 2 more in Hawaii on eBay during the past 6 months. I believe it is obvious, timesharing is my passion.

FlyKaesan

TUG Member
Reaction score
back from Vegas

went to vegas and it was good trip.

I was looking for condo or timeshare since I was going with my dad. Waiting for few weeks of looking through, the cheapest I found was $400/week. I thought I could save that money so I waited and to my surprise, Flamingo emailed with free nights. I thought it would be like a motel room but when I got there, I didn't have to pay for the taxes or any fees. I gave $20 tips to the front desk person. When I went to my room, it had plasma tv in the room and also in the bathroom mirror. I tried to open the curtains but it was remote and when I pressed a button, it opened up and when it did, I saw Bellagio fountain right in front of us. It was great view and wonderful experience. As for food, went to buffet instead of deciding to eat in the room. I think I am sick of buffet although I used to be #1 fan of buffet.
I am lucky to save $400 and have a great hotel room by Bellagio. If I stayed at the timeshare, I would not have experienced it and would have ate in the condo instead of buffet. I think I will used that saved money to goto Cancun. I think I saw a airfare sale to goto Cancun for $200 / person. I think I have to find a great deal for timeshare tour or hotel so I can save money for Cancun accomodations. Let me know if you have any good ideas.