• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Who's Winning America's Electric Vehicle Race?

DrQ

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HICV, Westgate (second cousin, twice removed)
Ford recalls 350,000 SUVs including Expeditions and Lincoln Navigators amid fears they could catch FIRE or experience airbag failure
  • Ford on Thursday announced the recall of 39,013 Expedition and Navigator SUVs in the United States, built between December 1, 2020 and April 30, 2021
  • The vehicles are being recalled because there have been incidents of fires breaking out beneath the hood
  • Of the 16 fires, 12 happened while the SUV engines were turned off, and owners have been told to park outside
  • Earlier this week they issued two other recalls, including 310,000 2016 Super Duty F-250, F-350, F-450, and F-550 trucks
  • Those vehicles were recalled because of problems with airbags, including dust accumulating in the steering wheel - which causes them to disconnect
  • Ford officials recently reported the company lost $3.1 billion over the past three months due to a shortage of semiconductor chips and investment in EVs

Passepartout

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
I'm waiting to see if Aptera makes it out the door.
They're kinda cute, but categorized as a 'car', they would have to pass all kinds of regulatory stuff. Bumpers, crash worthiness, and the like. Maybe categorizing them like other 3-wheelers as an 'auto-cycle' might sidestep a lot of that- like a Polaris Slingshot does. Electrification of the whole auto industry is going to be darn interesting over the next few decades- and they're just barely scratching the surface now.

Ralph Sir Edward

TUG Member
Reaction score
They're kinda cute, but categorized as a 'car', they would have to pass all kinds of regulatory stuff. Bumpers, crash worthiness, and the like. Maybe categorizing them like other 3-wheelers as an 'auto-cycle' might sidestep a lot of that- like a Polaris Slingshot does. Electrification of the whole auto industry is going to be darn interesting over the next few decades- and they're just barely scratching the surface now.
Yes, they are considered an "auto-cycle". They are also considered to be hyper efficient, with a range per Kilowatt 2-4 times that of a Tesla.

Carolinian

TUG Member
Reaction score

DrQ

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned

MrockStar

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I saw a Bolt EV today on the way to work, it must have had the recall for the battery done because it wasn't on fire and was driving fine.

• Haha
Reactions: DrQ

DrQ

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I saw a Bolt EV today on the way to work, it must have had the recall for the battery done because it wasn't on fire and was driving fine.
PSSSSTTT: My Bolt EV hasn't had the battery replaced yet and it's not:
7db572-64429664.jpg

MrockStar

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Don't park it in the garage, Ok. Stay safe.

MrockStar

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I feel safer now, after reading the GM safety bulletin.

DrQ

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Well, here's another one, in today's Daily Mail of London:

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/ar...rs-electronic-door-handles-didnt-pop-out.html

The doctor who was driving died of toxic fumes from his burning Tesla
And those are operated by the 12V lead acid battery in the car.

That is a design flaw and has nothing to do with it being a BEV.

We had a Pontiac Grand Prix coupe that had a plastic assembly that connected the interior door lock mechanism so that you could manually unlock the door from the inside. The lobe to which the cable would connect would shear off. When that happened, you could only unlock the door from the inside with the power lock/unlock button. You could not get a replacement part and there was no fix for it.

The battery was in the very front of the car, so in a front end collision it would be destroyed. Since the car automatically locked the doors when you put it in drive, in a front end collision, you would be trapped in the car.

I considered having a functional replacement hogged out of aluminum, but I just got rid of the car. Another reason I would not own a Tesla.

MrockStar

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
And yet you bought another GM product, A Chevy Bolt? Dont get me wrong i own several my self and like them way better than Fords or Chryslers.

MdRef

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Las Vegas, Orlando
images.jpg

DrQ

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
And yet you bought another GM product, A Chevy Bolt? Dont get me wrong i own several my self and like them way better than Fords or Chryslers.
I drove a 2 year prior model of the same car and was broadsided (t-boned) by a cement mixer running a red light at 50 mph on the driver's side. 'Nuff said.

easyrider

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark * * Villa Del Palmar UVCI * * Vacation Internationale*
While many people will decide to go with a smaller ev ,my plan is to get a very large used low mile luxury vehicle for very little and enjoy the ride while ev's get sorted out.

Bill

MrockStar

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I drove a 2 year prior model of the same car and was broadsided (t-boned) by a cement mixer running a red light at 50 mph on the driver's side. 'Nuff said.
Glad you made it.

Carolinian

TUG Member
Reaction score
And those are operated by the 12V lead acid battery in the car.

That is a design flaw and has nothing to do with it being a BEV.

We had a Pontiac Grand Prix coupe that had a plastic assembly that connected the interior door lock mechanism so that you could manually unlock the door from the inside. The lobe to which the cable would connect would shear off. When that happened, you could only unlock the door from the inside with the power lock/unlock button. You could not get a replacement part and there was no fix for it.

The battery was in the very front of the car, so in a front end collision it would be destroyed. Since the car automatically locked the doors when you put it in drive, in a front end collision, you would be trapped in the car.

I considered having a functional replacement hogged out of aluminum, but I just got rid of the car. Another reason I would not own a Tesla.

The thing that killed the doctor was the battery fire of the lithium battery.

As to not being able to get out of cars, that is a problem I have with many modern cars with electronic door locks and electric windows. I much prefer the hand operated wind-up windows and manual door locks of my '68 Cutlass convertible and '68 MGB. A former state legislator I knew here in eastern North Carolina always carried a hammer under his drivers seat so he could break a window to get out of the car if necessary. He had seen too many cases of cars going off the road into the roadside canals that are common in our area, and both the locks and windows would short out so everyone in the car was trapped and died.

DrQ

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
The thing that killed the doctor was the battery fire of the lithium battery.

As to not being able to get out of cars, that is a problem I have with many modern cars with electronic door locks and electric windows. I much prefer the hand operated wind-up windows and manual door locks of my '68 Cutlass convertible and '68 MGB. A former state legislator I knew here in eastern North Carolina always carried a hammer under his drivers seat so he could break a window to get out of the car if necessary. He had seen too many cases of cars going off the road into the roadside canals that are common in our area, and both the locks and windows would short out so everyone in the car was trapped and died.
A spring loaded center punch will shatter any side window, whether the vehicle is BEV, Hybrid, Hydrogen or ICE.

Leaking gasoline will pool under the vehicle. Does it make a difference whether it is smoke from a battery fire or burned to death by a gasoline fire? Dead is dead.