• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Who's telling the truth about conversion fees?

Seeker

TUG Member
Reaction score
Representatives from two different resorts have told me that RCI requires the resort to charge $2,995 to convert an owner's week to RCI points.

A representative of RCI, on the other hand, has told me that RCI is "not involved" in the sale of points.

Clearly someone is not telling the whole truth.

caribbean

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
RCI charges $199 and the rest goes to the resort or developer as profit. I only paid $199 when I converted my week in Australia to points. Many of us on TUG have done this. Remember, when a TS salesmans lips are moving they are lying.

Madge

TUG Member
Reaction score
Seeker,

Sorry for the confusion. Resorts are at liberty to charge what they feel is appropriate for Points conversions. The fee does not go to RCI, except as Patty mentions, the $199 processing fee.

opozarks

Reaction score
Points conversion option:

Seeker,

Sorry for the confusion. Resorts are at liberty to charge what they feel is appropriate for Points conversions. The fee does not go to RCI, except as Patty mentions, the $199 processing fee.

You do not have to buy the points membership from YOUR current HOME POINTS RESORT. You can buy on the resale market (some are shown in TUG classifieds - http://www.tug1.org/tugads/0-10sposted1.html .

Madge

TUG Member
Reaction score
opozarks,

Most resorts allow the transfer of Points memberships with resales. However, a few do not, and require a new conversion fee. Be sure to check with the resort or club before purchasing a resale at an RCI Points-affiliated resort.

jerseygirl

TUG Member
Reaction score
Madge --

Those of us who have been here a long time remember a time when you were able to confirm that the points contract was between the member and RCI, and that RCI would honor the transfer of points memberships with resales.

Why the change in policy ("Most resorts allow the transfer of Points memberships with resales. However, a few do not, and require a new conversion fee.")?

Thanks,
jerseygirl

BillR

TUG Member
Reaction score
opozarks,

Most resorts allow the transfer of Points memberships with resales. However, a few do not, and require a new conversion fee. Be sure to check with the resort or club before purchasing a resale at an RCI Points-affiliated resort.

Madge - Your response to opozarks does not appear to be relative to the comments made. No one mentioned transfer of points membershsip. I believe that very few points resorts allow thansfer of membership and checking re: transfer would be fruitless. Therfore, I am not sure exactly what you are saying. Could you please clarify?

madherb

TUG Member
Reaction score
In order for a resale of a points resort unit it would require a transfer of the unit as a points unit as opposed to the deeded unit underlying the points. Some resorts will allow an owner that has converted their unit to a "points" unit to sell it as such. Others only allow the owner to sell what they own which is Unit X Period Y. This gives the new owner the right to be gouged for another $2-3,000 but the seller probably doesn't even know.

I believe Madge was absolutely replying to the poster in this regard but Bill may have misunderstood thinking she was speaking of the transfer of accumulated points in an RCI account.

Madge

TUG Member
Reaction score
In order for a resale of a points resort unit it would require a transfer of the unit as a points unit as opposed to the deeded unit underlying the points. Some resorts will allow an owner that has converted their unit to a "points" unit to sell it as such. Others only allow the owner to sell what they own which is Unit X Period Y. This gives the new owner the right to be gouged for another $2-3,000 but the seller probably doesn't even know.

I believe Madge was absolutely replying to the poster in this regard but Bill may have misunderstood thinking she was speaking of the transfer of accumulated points in an RCI account.
madherb,

You have this correct. Often the transfer of an existing Points account accompanies the transfer of the Points-affiliated timeshare ownership. The two issues are different, but closely related.

Madge

TUG Member
Reaction score
Madge --

Those of us who have been here a long time remember a time when you were able to confirm that the points contract was between the member and RCI, and that RCI would honor the transfer of points memberships with resales.

Why the change in policy ("Most resorts allow the transfer of Points memberships with resales. However, a few do not, and require a new conversion fee.")?

Thanks,
jerseygirl
jerseygirl,

This is something that has arisen only once that comes to mind. Pahio resorts requires that any Points ownerships must be converted again by subsequent purchasers or the ownerships revert back to RCI Weeks. Most resorts do not require this.