• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Who's Getting the New iPad 3?

ricoba

TUG Member
Reaction score
My boss has been watching the live feed and is putting his order in for 3/16 delivery as soon as the Apple store opens up.

He had the original and it was stolen, so lucky for him he now gets a brand spanking new HD iPad! :)

ronparise

TUG Member
Reaction score
Ill get one but Ill probably buy it on ebay when the IPad 17 comes out

siesta

TUG Member
Reaction score
I have an ipad and never got the ipad2. But in a month or so when the excitement fizzles, ill get an ipad3 and give my ipad to my mom who wants one and doesn't know it yet.

PigsDad

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Elite: SeaWorld, Surf Club, Charter Club, Valdoro
We currently have an iPad 2. I really don't see any compelling reason to ditch that for an iPad 3. In fact, given what has been released regarding the iPad 3, if I were in the market for my first iPad, I think I would go for the iPad 2 and pocket the extra $100.

Color me not impressed, but I am not a power user of the iPad. To me, the current iPad is plenty powerful for what I do with it, and the display is more than adequate.

Kurt

siesta

TUG Member
Reaction score
We currently have an iPad 2. I really don't see any compelling reason to ditch that for an iPad 3. In fact, given what has been released regarding the iPad 3, if I were in the market for my first iPad, I think I would go for the iPad 2 and pocket the extra $100.

Color me not impressed, but I am not a power user of the iPad. To me, the current iPad is plenty powerful for what I do with it, and the display is more than adequate.

Kurt
.compelling reason is 4g as opposed to 3g, and hd screen providing a significantly better display for your media consumption, and a 5 mega pixel camera

LAX Mom

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
I have the original iPad, purchased for a good discount just after iPad 2 came out. It's all we use for travel now, so much better than taking a laptop on trips. It's been great for our needs so I see no reason to upgrade.

Ken555

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Kierland
Sheraton Desert Oasis
Some of you may be surprised, but for the first time in years I'm not buying the new Apple product on day of release. For my use, 3G is fast enough (web sites - mainly text based when traveling such as TUG, email, news, etc) and image quality is more than sufficient. After I see one in person I'll likely change my opinion and buy...but on the surface I'm not overwhelmed. Of course, if I was more into video editing and photos, I would order immediately - the new features for this look excellent.

Craigvince

TUG Member
Reaction score
I'll probably buy the new one once I have a buyer for my original iPad.

I think there's enough improvement from 1 to 3 that it makes sense for me. The better screen and faster processor make a big difference when I'm flying. I'm a pilot and use ForeFlight for navigation charts, no longer carrying 15 pounds of paper charts with me all the time.

ScubaKat

TUG Member
Reaction score
Me! :cheer: We have the original which I bought used for our 2 year old.. then our company gave all employees an iPad2 over Christmas along with our bonus.. I gave that one to my mom so I ended up having to "borrow" the original from our daughter when I want to use it.. had been waiting for 3 to come out! :D

siesta

TUG Member
Reaction score
I'm a pilot and use ForeFlight for navigation charts, no longer carrying 15 pounds of paper charts with me all the time.
what if it doesnt work? Nice thing is paper doesnt malfunction.

PigsDad

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Elite: SeaWorld, Surf Club, Charter Club, Valdoro
.compelling reason is 4g as opposed to 3g, and hd screen providing a significantly better display for your media consumption, and a 5 mega pixel camera
Of course YMMV, but I just use the wifi version so 3G to 4G makes no difference to me. I can just tether to my phone if needed (or more likely, just use my phone for tha occasional off-network internet access that is needed).

And as I stated, I have had no issues w/ the current display, so I don't see how more resolution would make any difference to me. Sure, the smaller print would be clearer, but then it would be too small to see anyway. :confused:

Kurt

Last edited:

Elan

TUG Member
Reaction score
Given that I just bought a fully customizable, pre-rooted Android tablet for $99 that does 90% of what an iPadX does, and 95+% of what I'd personally do with any tablet type device (web, music, movies, eread, documents, tv, games, email, etc), I just can't justify the extra $400.

Ken555

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Kierland
Sheraton Desert Oasis
There is a noticeable speed improvement from the original iPad to the iPad 2, and should be even more with the new iPad released today. If I had an original iPad I wouldn't hesitate to buy.

Ken555

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Kierland
Sheraton Desert Oasis
Given that I just bought a fully customizable, pre-rooted Android tablet for $99 that does 90% of what an iPadX does, and 95+% of what I'd personally do with any tablet type device (web, music, movies, eread, documents, tv, games, email, etc), I just can't justify the extra $400.

How many people on TUG do you think understand what pre-rooted is, much less the advantages of it? :hysterical:

Elan

TUG Member
Reaction score
How many people on TUG do you think understand what pre-rooted is, much less the advantages of it? :hysterical:

Probably not many. But that's not my fault, and it doesn't change my reasoning or my answer.

Ken555

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Kierland
Sheraton Desert Oasis
Probably not many. But that's not my fault, and it doesn't change my reasoning or my answer.

I think this is an opportunity for you to explain to others why you think this is better, particularly for the casual user that likely defines most TUG members needs. I'm all for competition, but tell us why you think your choice is better, other than the obvious cost difference. What about the other 5-10% that your device doesn't do? Are those tasks unimportant? What are they? It looks to me like your Android does most of what most people here would want.

LisaH

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Quick questions: I bought two ipad2 less than two weeks ago as presents for my relatives and brought them to China. I have the receipt but no ipad obviously. Can I get a refund for the difference in price?

NWL

TUG Member
Reaction score
Quick questions: I bought two ipad2 less than two weeks ago as presents for my relatives and brought them to China. I have the receipt but no ipad obviously. Can I get a refund for the difference in price?

It doesn't hurt to ask. I bought my ipad2 online the Sunday before they went on sale for Black Friday. I emailed Apple and they refunded me the difference.

The new one doesn't have anything I need, so I won't be upgrading. I do agree, though, if you have the first generation, it may be worth upgrading to the new one.

Patri

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I have an ipad and never got the ipad2. But in a month or so when the excitement fizzles, ill get an ipad3 and give my ipad to my mom who wants one and doesn't know it yet.

What a great child you are. :D :D

Ken555

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Kierland
Sheraton Desert Oasis

No, I don't think they'll permit a return without the physical item (as they scan the barcode with serial number on the box, etc). There's a 14-day return policy, so I wouldn't hesitate and go now.

http://store.apple.com/us/open/salespolicies

Elan

TUG Member
Reaction score
I think this is an opportunity for you to explain to others why you think this is better, particularly for the casual user that likely defines most TUG members needs. I'm all for competition, but tell us why you think your choice is better, other than the obvious cost difference. What about the other 5-10% that your device doesn't do? Are those tasks unimportant? What are they? It looks to me like your Android does most of what most people here would want.

I didn't state or imply the tablet I purchased was better, but for me it's unquestionably a better value -- 95% of the utility for 20% of the price.

I don't want to turn this into one of "those" threads. The OP asked a question, and I gave an honest, rational answer. As you inferred, Apple products are appropriate for much of TUG's demographic.