• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Who would be willing to give up 20% income to help others?

Status
Not open for further replies.

theo

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
How do you figure some stimulus checks are going to deceased person's? They're based on the 2018 filings.

I don't "figure" --- but I do listen to (real) news. Do a bit of Googling on the subject and you will easily find the observation to be indisputably accurate. National Public Radio has actually been addressing this topic on air in recent days, including live or taped interviews with a number of people in various parts of the country clearly saddened by and / or angry about receiving "stimulus" checks in recent weeks for spouse(s) or parent(s) who have been dead since 2018 (maybe even earlier; I'm not at all certain).

In this dumpster fire "administration" haste to send out checks, there has apparently been little or no cross referencing among internal government agencies (IRS, Social Security, etc.) regarding on which side of the green grass stimulus check recipients currently reside.

Last edited:

geekette

Reaction score
It is worth remembering it is NOT easy to accurately record and report deaths throughout all the various systems and levels of government.
especially with 10s of thousands newly deceased.

geekette

Reaction score
Figure??? I don't "figure" --- but I do listen to (real) news. Do a bit of Googling on the subject and you will easily find my observation to be indisputably correct. National Public Radio has actually been addressing this topic in recent days, including live or taped interviews with a number of people in various parts of the country clearly saddened and / or angry at receiving checks in recent weeks for spouse(s) or parent(s) who have been dead since 2018 (or even earlier, I seem to vaguely recall without real certainty).
And, the IRS agrees that it sent checks to dead people.

lifted from an article:
In a routine update to an FAQ page on irs.gov about coronavirus relief payments, the agency says: “A payment made to someone who died before receipt of the payment should be returned to the IRS.”

The Treasury Department would not comment on how many dead people were sent stimulus payments.

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Welk Resorts
Let's take about 10-20% off there bud. I'm not attacking you. Just asking. I'm forced to deal with it while at work so I try not to listen to the news when I can avoid it.
But it doesn't really surprise me that people who died in 2018 would get a check since the checks are based on 18s taxes.
The problem only arises financially if the family cashes those checks. Cancel them/send them back.
Yes, being reminded of a recently lost loved one is painful but I don't see a better way to send out stimulus checks. I don't want the govt sending out more taxpayer money to people who didn't file/pay their taxes.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

JanT

TUG Member
Reaction score
They are based on 2018 AND 2019 filings. I can tell you for absolute certainty stimulus payments have gone to deceased people because my mom received a check in the mail and she died in December 2019. The check was made out to her (with the word “Deceased”) after her name and then my nam beneath that because I’m the Trustee for her estate.

How do you figure some stimulus checks are going to deceased person's? They're based on the 2018 filings.

geekette

Reaction score
Let's take about 10-20% off there bud. I'm not attacking you. Just asking. I'm forced to deal with it while at work so I try not to listen to the news when I can avoid it.
But it doesn't really surprise me that people who died in 2018 would get a check since the checks are based on 18s taxes.
The problem only arises financially if the family cashes those checks. Cancel them/send them back.
Yes, being reminded of a recently lost loved one is painful but I don't see a better way to send out stimulus checks. I don't want the govt sending out more taxpayer money to people who didn't file/pay their taxes.

Not sure how to return direct deposit. I would wait for them to collect it from where it was deposited. I think most people know it's not their money.

....I don't want the govt sending out more taxpayer money to people who didn't file/pay their taxes.
can you elaborate on what you're saying here? Are you saying that people that make so little income that they are not required to file should not receive stimulus checks?

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Welk Resorts
Hmmm. That's very interesting. If they went so far as to note that she's deceased (my condolences by the way) I would think they checked that she fit whatever criteria to qualify for the check first, but who knows.

@geekette I'm a bit of a pessimist with my job and see a lot of people sponging off the government, claiming disability and unemployment etc when they are perfectly capable of working but don't want to and then collect a tax return as well after not working for years.
The system is broken for certain. Not saying I have an answer, just saying. As my original reply to this post stated, I give quite a bit each year to organizations that help those in need and I know there are people out there who truly don't make enough due to unforeseen or uncontrollable circumstances.

Icc5

TUG Member
Reaction score
It would definitely be tough in California. We are not like the rest of the country but get the same Social Security as we should since we pay in at the same rate. Our taxes are already pretty high and looking at something like gas where others figure it will shoot up to $3 right away it probably will go to $5 here. I've grown up here,lived all my life here and plan on dieing here. We could afford losing another 20% but are already giving that between helping support our kids and the donations we make. I'd hate to cut off either of those.

Brett

Reaction score
I am not inclined to believe that the government ever could (lawfully) single out (i.e., discriminate against) just social security or pension recipients (of which I am neither one) to fund any program.

By the way, this same governments is currently sending out "stimulus" checks to Americans who have been deceased for several years.

Maybe a better and more fair way to raise revenue would be to rescind tax law changes of recent years that ultimately provide financial benefit only to corporations and to the very highest income individuals --- entities that plainly need "relief" the least.

sure, but that last sentence could be a "contentious social issue" !
if one reads the Wall Street Journal the federal budget deficit has been increasing the last couple of years (before the pandemic) due to ________ ;)

geekette

Reaction score
Hmmm. That's very interesting. If they went so far as to note that she's deceased (my condolences by the way) I would think they checked that she fit whatever criteria to qualify for the check first, but who knows.

@geekette I'm a bit of a pessimist with my job and see a lot of people sponging off the government, claiming disability and unemployment etc when they are perfectly capable of working but don't want to and then collect a tax return as well after not working for years.
The system is broken for certain. Not saying I have an answer, just saying. As my original reply to this post stated, I give quite a bit each year to organizations that help those in need and I know there are people out there who truly don't make enough due to unforeseen or uncontrollable circumstances.

Thanks, Shank. Knowing your perspective does add context!

SmithOp

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC King's Land 2BR Premier 23.040K Points.
I'm a bit of a pessimist with my job and see a lot of people sponging off the government, claiming disability and unemployment etc when they are perfectly capable of working but don't want to and then collect a tax return as well after not working for years.

I hear this opinion but I can tell you its no picnic living on disability wages, I don’t think there are many able people that choose to “sponge off the government”. As you said, you are a pessimist, it clearly shows. I wonder how close a look you have taken at the people you see doing this.

I prepare tax returns for people with disabilities, they get a little SSI or SSDI and maybe a part time minimum wage job. They are allowed to earn up to $783/month and have no more than $2k in savings. None of them own cars, they ride public transit. None of them own homes, they share apartments in the least desirable parts of town. None of them eat at four star restaurants they eat cup of noodles and microwave dinners. None of them have 401k retirement accounts or pension possibilities.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Panina

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hgvc Anderson, Blue Ride Village Resort
They are based on 2018 AND 2019 filings. I can tell you for absolute certainty stimulus payments have gone to deceased people because my mom received a check in the mail and she died in December 2019. The check was made out to her (with the word “Deceased”) after her name and then my nam beneath that because I’m the Trustee for her estate.
That would have been an easy fix to program to scan for letters spelling deceased. They didn’t think it through.

Panina

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I hear this opinion but I can tell you its no picnic living on disability wages, I don’t think there are many able people that choose to “sponge off the government”. As you said, you are a pessimist, it clearly shows. I wonder how close a look you have taken at the people you see doing this.

I prepare tax returns for people with disabilities, they get a little SSI or SSDI and maybe a part time minimum wage job. They are allowed to earn up to $783/month and have no more than $2k in savings. None of them own cars, they ride public transit. None of them own homes, they share apartments in the least desirable parts of town. None of them eat at four star restaurants they eat cup of noodles and microwave dinners. None of them have 401k retirement accounts or pension possibilities.

There are many that legitimately need help but that doesn’t deal with those who know how to use the system. I unfortunately know people that can work and sponge off the system instead.

Luanne

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
San Diego Country Estates

My sil is on disability. Because his is in "invisible" condition he pretty much has to fight every month to get his benefits. Basically takes what little energy he has.

geekette

Reaction score

Wouldn't you also have to actually be seeing doctors that say you are disabled? I don't think I can show up claiming something hurts and suddenly be cleared as disabled. From what I understand, most anyone that tries to file for SS disability (not sure which is which) is denied.

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Welk Resorts

I've been in their homes. Repeatedly. On a daily basis.
See three generations living together, all adults, none working. Always smoking, always have alcohol and fighting amongst themselves and their neighbors who are in similar situations.
Was literally just at a disturbance between three houses on one street. No less than 15 adults, all able bodied, all smoking, all had multiple cars in the driveway.
People with a disabled family member literally move to my area of Illinois because the benefits are so much higher than _____ state they came from.
I've had multiple 19-21 year olds who won't be getting their stimulus check because even though they moved out, their parents claimed them as a dependent on their taxes.
People younger than me that grew up on these kinds of situations tell me all the time that they can make more money staying at home collecting off "disability" than working two part time jobs or an entry level full time job.
The system is hella broken. And now our governor is trying to extend the SIP/SAH until there's a vaccine in an attempt to bankrupt the state and get a federal bailout.

SteveDavis

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham
Hmm, it's been very interesting reading this thread and some of the comments. I do agree with @Panina

I don't mind donating money since I know where the money will go. But blindly giving up a %, I'm not too sure about that.

Either way, I think it's a great initiative to help out the people in need.

geekette

Reaction score
That would have been an easy fix to program to scan for letters spelling deceased. They didn’t think it through.
Careful on that. As a software developer, I can tell you that what might look from the outside like "an easy fix" is not necessarily so. The older a system is, the more hands that have been in it, the dicier it is to make any change due to the law of unintended consequences. Very few items in software hang out there in isolation for easy tweaking.

I support going the sure way, even with overpayments, vs the risky way that could have made massive problems taking months or more to fix.

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Welk Resorts
My sil is on disability. Because his is in "invisible" condition he pretty much has to fight every month to get his benefits. Basically takes what little energy he has.
I'm not saying no one deserves to get disability. What I'm trying to say but hasn't said yet, is we need a better screening process. But that requires more people to do the screening which makes it cost more as well. Very hard to win.

geekette

Reaction score
....People with a disabled family member literally move to my area of Illinois because the benefits are so much higher than _____ state they came from.

Federal benefits would not care about moving from a different state. What state disability benefits are we talking about? I don't think my state has that. There is your company policy, your private policy, or SS. No state disability.

Unemployment amounts would vary.

geekette

Reaction score
There are many that legitimately need help but that doesn’t deal with those who know how to use the system. I unfortunately know people that can work and sponge off the system instead.
You can report them.

I'm not sure why someone would choose a very low standard of living, but you don't have to let it continue.

geekette

Reaction score
....People younger than me that grew up on these kinds of situations tell me all the time that they can make more money staying at home collecting off "disability" than working two part time jobs or an entry level full time job.

That makes no sense to me. When I look at my SS statement where it says "If you were to become disabled today ...." it is definitely less than a full time low wage job.

How much is this disability program you're talking about pay?

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Welk Resorts
....People younger than me that grew up on these kinds of situations tell me all the time that they can make more money staying at home collecting off "disability" than working two part time jobs or an entry level full time job.

That makes no sense to me. When I look at my SS statement where it says "If you were to become disabled today ...." it is definitely less than a full time low wage job.

How much is this disability program you're talking about pay?
I don't know what all benefits they were collecting. But that is what they said to me. The two 30ish year olds living with the disabled person may have been collecting unemployment from somewhere on top of the disability their family member was collecting.
Illinois also has the Link program which is part of SNAP. The attached is how much Illinois may pay on top of disability. However. Very few of these people actually live at the home on file with the state. And the state doesn't have the man power to check up on their address. So I'll see three-five adults, living in a section 8 house (government funded) and each of them will be collecting their $200/mo or more if they have kids, and won't have hardly any rent if any to pay.
And they live that way because they were raised that way. They don't want the responsibility of taking care of a property. Or having to work hard to have nice things. As long as they have food, booze, smokes, and something to do, they're happy.
Even now, there is a UPS distribution faculty and a main Amazon hub that they could ride the bus to for free and get a job. But they just don't want to. Once a person gets used to a quality of life. It's hard to make them change if they don't have to.
0c79460f87d188c1f9914b3ddc70fab2.jpg

Panina

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Careful on that. As a software developer, I can tell you that what might look from the outside like "an easy fix" is not necessarily so. The older a system is, the more hands that have been in it, the dicier it is to make any change due to the law of unintended consequences. Very few items in software hang out there in isolation for easy tweaking.

I support going the sure way, even with overpayments, vs the risky way that could have made massive problems taking months or more to fix.
I programmed for years on complicated systems. They are printing the to name, prior, just put in code looking for consecutive letters that say decease.

Status
Not open for further replies.