• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

who should, and will play Ohio State for the National Championship

jwq387

TUG Member
Reaction score
I am torn on this question. Part of me says FLorida should be the opponent because of their difficult schedule. The other part says Michigan should be the opponent due to their close loss to Ohio State. I also believe Michigan is a better team than Florida. Chime in, TUG.

Dave M

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
I believe Florida should get the nod, because Michigan had its chance at Ohio State and lost. However, I think Michigan will be given another chance. We'll find out this evening.

dogfeet

TUG Member
Reaction score
My opinion is certainly a minority one, but I believe Boise State should play because they are undefeated. By the way, even though I am from Michigan, I am a Nebraska fan.

dogfeet

rsackett

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott’s Harbour Point
Michigan is the second best team. But I think Florida should go. Florida will get spanked by OSU. Then everyone will know how good OSU, Michigan and the Big 10 are.

Florida lost to a two loss team. Michigan lost to a 0 loss team. They both played Vanderbuilt, Michigan won 27-7, Florida won 25-19.

Ray

bnoble

TUG Member
Reaction score
I'm a Michigan season ticket holder, and as much as it pains me to say it: I think Florida should go. If you don't win your conference, you can't play for the whole ball of wax. I was annoyed when Oklahoma choked against KState and still advanced to the big game, so consistency demands the same of me now that the shoe is on the other foot.

SherryS

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
We live part-time in Michigan and Florida, we are Michigan State fans, but we think Michigan is a better team to play O-How-I-Hate-O...... We think Florida WILL BE selected to play OSU.

Jimbo

TUG Member
Reaction score
OSU will beat 'em both

bnoble said:
I'm a Michigan season ticket holder, and as much as it pains me to say it: I think Florida should go. If you don't win your conference, you can't play for the whole ball of wax. I was annoyed when Oklahoma choked against KState and still advanced to the big game, so consistency demands the same of me now that the shoe is on the other foot.

As an OSU fan, I agree with this Michigan fan. Oh, what have we come to?

Michigan had their chance for better or for worse. Let's pose a scenario: Michigan lost to OSU in the regular season and OSU loses to Michigan in the National Title Game. Both have 12 - 1 records with wins over each other. Who is the national champs. Michigan? What a crock. They should be co-champions or give OSU another shot a week later.

I agree that if you don't win your conference you don't get the chance. This isn't a play off after all.

douga

TUG Member
Reaction score
I think that they will choose Florida even though they are not the second best team. I they chose Michigan and then Michigan beat Ohio and Florida won their BCS game then who would they choose as National Champ..Michigan I guess but that would cause all sorts of controversy so in the interest of the easist way out they will choose Florida..The wimps.

Jimbo

TUG Member
Reaction score
Florida is 1/3 of the way there

The coaches poll has Florida at #2. Looks like a team who didn't win their conference was a consideration for the coaches.

Jestjoan

TUG Member
Reaction score
We learned growing up in Ohio that pansies are maize and blue.

There is also another saying we Buckeyes have that would probably be censored here.

Jimbo

TUG Member
Reaction score
OSU (#1) vs. Florida (#2)

The polsters got it right. Florida will be competing against the #1 team in the nation - The Ohio State University.

Go Bucks!

JudyS

TUG Member
Reaction score
Jestjoan said:
We learned growing up in Ohio that pansies are maize and blue....
I like pansies, so that doesn't bother this Michigan grad. (Anyway, purple and white are more accurate as the original pansy colors, speaking as a gardener.)

JeffW

TUG Member
Reaction score
Jimbo said:
...Let's pose a scenario: Michigan lost to OSU in the regular season and OSU loses to Michigan in the National Title Game. Both have 12 - 1 records with wins over each other. Who is the national champs. Michigan? What a crock. They should be co-champions or give OSU another shot a week later...

This is my reasoning exactly. If Michigan hadn't played OSU earlier in the year, then as the pre-Saturday #2 team, then should have played #1 OSU regardless what other teams (Florida) did. But they did play them, and lost. If they had a rematch, and now Michigan won, they would have a perfectly valid arguement that they are at least as good as OSU, if not better.

For all the flaws the BCS might have, for now it's the best thing in existence to decide any type of collegiate national champion. The last thing they needed was to create a situation that has a 50%-50% chance of producing a tie for #1. NO ONE wants to see that. They at least created a game that the winner will likely be crowned national champion. Now, if Florida squeaks past OSU, and Michigan pulverizes USC in the Rose Bowl, it could get more complicated.

Jeff

JLB

Banned
Reaction score
FL, because MI already had their chance.

However, just this one year, I don't see what would have been wrong with FL playing MI this coming weekend, at a neutral site, with the winner playing Ohio State.

I know, that sounds too simple, and it opens up that playoff can of worms, which would likely destroy the Bowl system.

It works in basketball, but in football those extra games really take their toll. I played football, and it was tough, but not nearly as brutal as the game has become.

Last edited:

JeffW

TUG Member
Reaction score
The last I read, there is still talk of a 'plus-one' game, whereby after all the current bowl games are played, the best 2 teams would play in a final championship game. This would help, but only if there is a consensus as to which the best two teams are.

Jeff

JLB

Banned
Reaction score
March Madness!? :D

JeffW said:
The last I read, there is still talk of a 'plus-one' game, whereby after all the current bowl games are played, the best 2 teams would play in a final championship game. This would help, but only if there is a consensus as to which the best two teams are.

Jeff

jwq387

TUG Member
Reaction score
michigan or florida?

JLB said:
FL, because MI already had their chance.

However, just this one year, I don't see what would have been wrong with FL playing MI this coming weekend, at a neutral site, with the winner playing Ohio State.

I know, that sounds too simple, and it opens up that playoff can of worms, with would likely destroy the Bowl system.

It works in basketball, but in football those extra games really take their toll. I played football, and it was tough, but not nearly as brutal as the game has become.
All other divisions in college football have a playoff system. They all play 4-5 extra games after regular season. Mount Union, the dominant team in Div 3, just played Capital, a team they beat earlier in the year.The Ohio Athletic Conference is so strong in Div 3, nobody seemed to mind if Mount Played Capital again in the National Semifinals. The idea that Florida should go partially because Michigan didn't win its conference is archaic. Is Michigan or Florida the better team at the end of the year? That is all that should matter.
If strength of schedule was such a big deal, why didn't Florida hop ahead of Michigan after Michigan lost to OSU? Florida played an EXTRA game, the Conference championship, which they won. Or look at it this way. Florida's EXTRA GAME was the last week of the regular season against PATHETIC Division 1-AA Western Carolina. Why do they get rewarded for strength of schedule points when they scheduled this pathetic game at the end of the season? Florida went,Michigan didn't. OSU 42, Florida 28. Too many freshman on Florida's team. OSU's spread offense will eat them alive.

Jimbo

TUG Member
Reaction score
jwq387 said:
OSU's spread offense will eat them alive.

Agreed!

jwq387 said:
The idea that Florida should go partially because Michigan didn't win its conference is archaic. Is Michigan or Florida the better team at the end of the year? That is all that should matter.

I agree with you that the current process is archaic but we have to live within what we have. For Michigan to be voted #2 with the way the Div I ball is set today would be a shame / sham / just flat out wrong. Other teams deserve to get their 1 chance. And I stress ONE.

Now if we would take the 4 BCS bowls and have the best teams play in two of them in a #1 plays #4 and #2 plays #3 format, then the winner goes on to the National Title Game the next week that would be awesome. I definitely vote for a Plus One format.

Another option would be to do this the week after regular season. One game for the right to be in the national title game.

JLB

Banned
Reaction score
How About This?

Instead of Michigan and Florida playing to see who plays Ohio State, why not have the pollsters play?

Those who voted for Florida can play those who voted for Michigan and whichever side wins, their team can play Ohio State. :D

Jimbo

TUG Member
Reaction score
JLB said:
Instead of Michigan and Florida playing to see who plays Ohio State, why not have the pollsters play?

Those who voted for Florida can play those who voted for Michigan and whichever side wins, their team can play Ohio State. :D

:hysterical:

JLB

Banned
Reaction score
That's not half as funny as the invitation I get from I-Club at Iowa State every Fall, to come back for alumni day and rekindle that Cyclone pride! :whoopie:

Not many years ago it included an invitation to play in the alumni game, which got cancelled for insurance reasons! :doh: