• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Who is writing our news stories

pgnewarkboy

TUG Member
Reaction score
There has never been more freedom of the press than in our current world.

It used to be that unless you owned a printing press and the infrastructure to distribute your printed material, you were nothing more than a voice on a street corner. Under that system if you controlled the printing presses you controlled speech. That's why dictatorships the world over regarded printing presses as instruments of sedition and controlled closely who could own them and operate them.

With the internet anyone can publish. You don't need to be vetted by some news corporation, or have your material reworked or rewritten. You can say what you want and put it out there for people to read. It's a bit like going back to the days when most cities had 10 or more newspapers, all vying for attention, only even better.

But then the newspapers were all consolidated under the control of a handful of people. That, of course, was the so-called "golden age of journalism", where there was a handful of people who got to decide what was news and what was not news. It was a golden age because they had the gold and they made the rules.

Sorry but most people still get their news from TV. Also, we are not talking about government censorship. We are talking about the quality of journalism and corporste influence over the news which you reasily admit existed in the past. Despite the existence of the internet media consolidation is a fact. One of the arguments against sopa is that it will extend big corporate control to the internet. Surely somethingworth disscussing on the nightly news.

ronparise

TUG Member
Reaction score
I think that reports of the death of journalism are exaggerated.

The internet has not changed people's need for reliable information; it's merely disrupting the old print journalism format, along with the arrogance and elitism that has been an inherent part of that old format.

Out of the much of the internet some voices and sources will arise as worthy and credible, and those sources will ultimately be able to monetize that value, probably by being able to charge for the content.

I hope you are right...no question that the need for news hasnt changed and Im sure that there are good journalists somewhere in the maze that is the internet. The question is how do we pay them to do the in depth investigative pieces that we think of when we think of good journalism...The old way was simple and direct...sell more subscriptions and sell more advertisng.. Now I dont know

It looks to me as if the universities may play a role here. I watch a lot of cable news and it seems to me that many of the guests are university professors

ScoopKona

Reaction score
Monkey King Coffee - Captain Cook, Hawaii
I hope you are right...no question that the need for news hasnt changed and Im sure that there are good journalists somewhere in the maze that is the internet. The question is how do we pay them to do the in depth investigative pieces that we think of when we think of good journalism...The old way was simple and direct...sell more subscriptions and sell more advertisng.. Now I dont know

It looks to me as if the universities may play a role here. I watch a lot of cable news and it seems to me that many of the guests are university professors

The best article on the subject is here: http://www.shirky.com/weblog/2009/03/newspapers-and-thinking-the-unthinkable/

The executive summary is that NOTHING can save newspapers. Newspapers are currently in their death throes, and nothing can be done about it. Furthermore, since people are generally unwilling to pay for things they can easily get for free, the professional journalist is no longer a viable career path. (Not unless some new business model arises that will pay someone to work 80-hour weeks, gathering news.)

Round and round this goes, with the people committed to saving newspapers demanding to know “If the old model is broken, what will work in its place?” To which the answer is: Nothing. Nothing will work. There is no general model for newspapers to replace the one the internet just broke.

AwayWeGo

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Grandview At Las Vegas

[triennial - points]
The Medium Is The Message.

Newspapers are currently in their death throes, and nothing can be done about it.
Marshall McLuhan (1911-1980) nailed it.

He said newspapers would remain viable until something else came along to take the place of the classified ads.

So it goes.

-- Alan Cole, McLean (Fairfax County), Virginia, USA.​

Ridewithme38

TUG Member
Reaction score
Round and round this goes, with the people committed to saving newspapers demanding to know “If the old model is broken, what will work in its place?” To which the answer is: Nothing. Nothing will work. There is no general model for newspapers to replace the one the internet just broke. [/I]

Online subscription news is growing.....Slowly, so there is new a model and the same reporters/editors can transfer over to that medium very easily....I don't think we'll see the end of Actual news for awhile...We will just have to change the way we get it

ScoopKona

Reaction score
Monkey King Coffee - Captain Cook, Hawaii
Online subscription news is growing.....Slowly, so there is new a model and the same reporters/editors can transfer over to that medium very easily....I don't think we'll see the end of Actual news for awhile...We will just have to change the way we get it

You didn't cite examples of growing subscription sites. So I assume you mean financial websites and companies like Consumer Reports. The article I linked mentions that.

The author of that article and I diverge on that point. As soon as there's a free alternative to Consumer Reports, that will be the end of Consumer Reports. Just like Craigslist killed classified advertising. Just like Yelp and Urbanspoon is crushing Zagat's.

The only things that will survive will be niche services. The days of the full-service travel agency are long over. Who calls a travel agent when they want to book tickets from point A to point B? Only those who haven't learned about kayak.com, that's who. But the agent who specializes in African safaris, or around the world trips, and similar is thriving. Those are simply too difficult for most people to do on their own -- so there is a perceived value to the service.

Almost every profession that relies on the selling of information will be affected -- Realtors, attorneys, tax accountants, and so on. Some groups, like Realtors, are shoveling money at Congress to maintain their monopoly on the business. But it's like trying to hold back the tide with a broom. Once a viable free alternative to the MLS springs up, Realtors will end up like travel agents.

The summary of that article is that we're in the middle of a revolution, which is as big if not bigger than the invention of the printing press. Because we're in the middle of it, we cannot see the end. We should rely on the fact that anything that can change, will change -- the entertainment industry, journalists, travel agents, retailers.... everything, when you get down to it.

easyrider

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark * * Villa Del Palmar UVCI * * Vacation Internationale*
The other day I stumbled upon a news chanel called RT News. I think they are based in Moscow. It was interesting to see a different spin on world events. Mosiac World News is kind of interesting as well.

Our local newspaper is the beter way to sell new products so I think it will stand the teat of time. We have some local jornalist that report on local news that give a good report on radio, tv and newspaper.

As far as who writes the world news for the reporters all I have to say is that Fox News has many easy on the eyes reporters that read very well.

L

laurac260

Our local newspaper is the beter way to sell new products so I think it will stand the teat of time. We have some local jornalist that report on local news that give a good report on radio, tv and newspaper.

I don't generally jump on someone's misspellings, but this was pretty funny. How does one stand the "teat of time" anyway? :p

easyrider

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark * * Villa Del Palmar UVCI * * Vacation Internationale*
I don't generally jump on someone's misspellings, but this was pretty funny. How does one stand the "teat of time" anyway? :p

Geez Laura, teat isn't mispelled. Im not sure but maybe under ? lol ... "test of time" .....I must of fat fingered the a right next to the s.

AwayWeGo

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Grandview At Las Vegas

[triennial - points]
That's About The Size Of It.

Newspapers are currently in their death throes, and nothing can be done about it.
You typed a mouthful.

Click here for recent information about the death spiral of Jerna-Lizzum.

-- Alan Cole, McLean (Fairfax County), Virginia, USA.​